There are so many to choose from - help

JezWhy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 13, 2016
worcester
Looking for a pair of his and hers electric bikes, I'm thinking Carrera,Kudos,Whoosh,Freego or Oxygen - but there are so many to choose from and some have conflicting information regarding weights etc on their websites:
His: probably crank drive and weight is 110 kgs and height 5ft 10" preferably mountain bike style and capable of moving without pedal power if the dodgy knee goes while out.
Hers: step through 5ft 3" and light weight and capable of moving without pedal power.

General use road/towpaths/cycle paths and upto 40 miles an outing. In an ideal world capable of swopping the batteries should the need arise but not essential.
Reliable as I hate doing maintenance or does that just mean buy local ?
Look forward to anyones thoughts.
Jez

Electric Transport Shop

Official Trade Member
Aug 7, 2010
Hi Jez, Welcome! Definitely buy local and test ride. Looking at the bikes you are considering you should definitely consider Wisper. Freego are also a solid build in our experience.

sunil

Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2016
bournemouth
His: could be woosh Bali, crank drive, 15AH battery, has throttle, £1,029.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?bali

Hers: could be woosh Petite, 15AH battery, also has throttle, £899.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?petite

Hi Trax
I am still deciding on the e bike and currently i am getting biased towards Carrera. However Carrera cutout problem seems to be putting me off.
I have have tried to enquire about woosh bike couple of weeks back from your site but haven't got any response. Can you please answer the following
1) how does the throttle work on crank drive if you are not pedalling ? I would appreciate if you can share any video
2) do you take cycle to work scheme voucher?
3) what is the bike mileage on single charge based on normal riding conditions?
4) i am 5 feet 4 ", will 18" frame of woosh be ok ?

Regards
Sunil

JezWhy

Oct 13, 2016
worcester
Hi Trax
I am still deciding on the e bike and currently i am getting biased towards Carrera. However Carrera cutout problem seems to be putting me off.
I have have tried to enquire about woosh bike couple of weeks back from your site but haven't got any response. Can you please answer the following
1) how does the throttle work on crank drive if you are not pedalling ? I would appreciate if you can share any video

Regards
Sunil
my current bike is a 19" and my other half is a 16" which she says is exactly right ..so I would say at 5ft 4" 18 is much too big to handle

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
sunil, you'd better email support@wooshbikes.co.uk with your questions.
Bikes with full throttle do not require you to pedal, you can rest both feet, same for crank driven bikes. The bottom bracket has a clutch for that.
Range depends on the trail you ride, headwind, speed and your weight. Roughly, for a 75kg rider, on flat roads up to 15mph, you get about 3 miles per AH. 15AH battery gives you 45 mile range.
you are 5ft4: the Petite will suit you better, although you can ride more or less any step through.

JezWhy

Oct 13, 2016
worcester

JezWhy

Oct 13, 2016
worcester
Hi Jez, Welcome! Definitely buy local and test ride. Looking at the bikes you are considering you should definitely consider Wisper. Freego are also a solid build in our experience.
I'm sorely tempted by the Freego having hired a Martin Sport,but it struggled on the hills in the lake district with me on it and I had to get of and push it. It needs battery assist to move it...not the sort of bike you could pedal without

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: JezWhy

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
..and I'm not slim unfortunately much as I'd like to be..more "solid and chunky"
don't worry about your weight. Woosh sell mainly to people who are traditionally built. If you need a better puller, check out the Big Bear, possibly the most popular bike on the forum.

Big Bear:

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?bigbear

sunil

Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2016
bournemouth
sunil, you'd better email support@wooshbikes.co.uk with your questions.
Bikes with full throttle do not require you to pedal, you can rest both feet, same for crank driven bikes. The bottom bracket has a clutch for that.
Range depends on the trail you ride, headwind, speed and your weight. Roughly, for a 75kg rider, on flat roads up to 15mph, you get about 3 miles per AH. 15AH battery gives you 45 mile range.
you are 5ft4: the Petite will suit you better, although you can ride more or less any step through.
hi Trex
I have already tried that approach by calling/mailing the support team. I even got a enquiry number 1873 but i have not had any response from the team. I am quite disappointed with the response from Woosh even during 'sale' phase. Can you please do the needful to respond on my questions.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
sunil, you should check your junk mail filter. Woosh have a belt and braces system to avoid messages being missed since April. 100% of messages are answered within 2 hours except at weekends.

wlowry

Aug 25, 2016
Surrey
Hi Trax

Regards
Sunil
Hi Sunil,

I tested the Carerra a few days ago and it cut out on me! I managed to get it going a minute later but combined with all the other posts about it cutting out put me off it.

Bill

JezWhy

Oct 13, 2016
worcester
Just thought I'd update my post having finally decided what to buy:
These were my requirements:

-His and Hers versions

-Use identical batteries to allow swopping if needed

-Light enough to pedal without battery power

-Throttle operation only for emergencies to get home(dodgy knees)

- Reliable

-Around 50+ miles from a full battery charge

- "Branded" Bike

-Rider weight for me up to 120KG

-Local Supplier

-Budget maximum around £1500 each

I ruled out all the chinese ebay bikes and stuck with these main brands for reliability and short listed the following:
Halfords Carrera
Wisper
Gtech
Whoosh
Juicy
Oxygen
Ebco
Freego

The rider weight (I'm a traditional built 18 stones/155kg in new money) and interchangeable batteries were a definite stumbling block.

After test drives and a Freego day hire followed by alot of review reading we've decided on the Oxygen ST and CB as the bikes that would suit us most. I'll do a warts and all review or 2 in the next few weeks for anyone interested.

Reactions: Andy88

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
I would like to find some success stories. Virtually, everyone I spoke to (20+) has had continual trouble and are unhappy with their ebikes and after sales service. e.g https://www.flickr.com/photos/dh4oaa/8013432610/

The only person who was happy bought a conversion kit with a lead acid battery years and years ago in the 20th century.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The old Panasonic crank drive was in my opinion great. Good power,well controlled and delivered. And the batteries lasted very well.
Just not 4*4 proof otherwise I would still be riding one.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I would like to find some success stories. Virtually, everyone I spoke to (20+) has had continual trouble and are unhappy with their ebikes and after sales service. e.g https://www.flickr.com/photos/dh4oaa/8013432610/

The only person who was happy bought a conversion kit with a lead acid battery years and years ago in the 20th century.
Hi I would list myself as a happy consumer of electric bikes. I purchased a new one UrbanMover UM24 around 2007 and have used it during college term up to 2014 . Journey distance commute 3.5 miles each way, 5 days a week, it met my expectations . Battery replaced (See my other posts), and in need of a third replacement now. First Major service 2014, replaced chain, replaced some spokes got derailleur hanger replaced due to my fault. Opted to get a new centre drive motored bike this year and enjoying this even more. Will probably get a replacement battery pack for the UM24, as it is very confident for the very short journeys.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hi I would list myself as a happy consumer of electric bikes. I purchased a new one UrbanMover UM24 around 2007 and have used it during college term up to 2014 . Journey distance commute 3.5 miles each way, 5 days a week, it met my expectations . Battery replaced (See my other posts), and in need of a third replacement now. First Major service 2014, replaced chain, replaced some spokes got derailleur hanger replaced due to my fault. Opted to get a new centre drive motored bike this year and enjoying this even more. Will probably get a replacement battery pack for the UM24, as it is very confident for the very short journeys.

... Replace the word confident with comfortable.... Spelling checkers can you
be up to them!

Reactions: Perseus

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the Volt Pulse reminds me of the Woosh Sirocco2.
Perseus, how soon do you want to make the purchase? I ask the question because we are going to introduce a good looking MTB with excellent specs at the end of next month (January 17).