Think I've decide on a Cube.... but which one?!

mistuk

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 27, 2020
Hi there - first post here so be gentle!

I'm looking at getting my first bike. Currently have a Giant Roam 2 non electric which I've hardly used, but really want to get into cycling more. Thing that's put me off is it's so hilly where I live and I have no stamina! Looking to lose a bit of weight and enjoy the outdoors more.

I think I've decided on getting a Cube (but happy to be persuaded otherwise), but am overwhelmed with the different choices across the range. I think I want one with the Gen 4 Bosch motor as I understand it has more torque, and also the largest battery I can reasonably find - as I'm guessing my weight will reduce range until I can reduce my weight!

Can anyone help guide me through the myriad of options, along with the pros and cons?

Regards

mistuk

mistuk

May 27, 2020
Probably should add... I'm look for leisure use. Part tarmac, part off road - but nothing extreme!

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Probably should add... I'm look for leisure use. Part tarmac, part off road - but nothing extreme!
I’m still loving my cube acid one 500 (ALP motor), I’ve just got back from a 44 mile ride in sports mode (often above the cutoff), mostly back roads but about 6 to 7 miles of bridle-ways {V bumpyo_O} Good job I have an NCX seatpost;)
should add I’ve done about 2,200 trouble free miles To date :cool:

Stubod

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2020
Really depends on your budget.

As per my recent thread, (..too many choices), I decided I wanted crank drive, (Bosch latest gen motor), with hub gears and ended up with a Raleigh Centros GT, ( would have been over budget but was on offer at £500+ off list, and also I could not find a Motus with the spec I wanted.

This particular model, also came with a Gates belt drive so will (hopefully), be maintenance free.

I am 60+ and have not cycled for a few years, (knee problems), average height and weigh in at 13 stone. We live in mid Wales so a combination of some flat bits with more than a few hilly bits!

So far I have managed several rides from between 12 miles, and the longest one (today) at 32 miles which took about 2hs 45 mins. Battery range was on 90miles when I started (fully charged) and had dropped to 70 miles left when I got home. (The Bosch Intuvia display system very user friendly and offer all the usual stuff, speed, average speed, time, range, battery indicator).

On it's first charge it did just over 90 miles on mainly "ECO" setting, (ie the lowest power setting) which although is less than they advertise (as I expected), it is still more than enough for me!

Most of the bikes I viewed within this price point all seemed to have a similar spec, although in the UK people seem to prefer the derailleur gear system. For "gentle touring" I prefer the hub drive. I would have been happy with a chain, but pleased with the belt drive so far.

There is a lot on the 'tinternet regarding pros and cons for both. eg hub and belt probably weigh a little more and offer a narrower gear range, but I think they offer a better engineering solution as the belt / chain remains "static" rather than moves across gears and every derailleur bike I've owned has lost its adjustment at some point. and never seems to work smoothly over the long term. Against hubs/belts are that they tend to cost more and if you do have a problem they will be more difficult (and expensive) to fix.

Due to Covid and having had to cancel all our holiday plans this year I have really only returned to cycling in the last few weeks and I don't consider myself to be particularly fit anymore, (a daily 2 mile "shuffle" is my main exercise), so I think the fact that I managed a 30+ miler today without really breaking sweat says it all!

I would definitely recommend an e-bike, particularly now as the tech has moved on so much. You may not need a 500W battery, but it's always nice to know "you can get home" as you would not want to cycle an e-bike without it's battery!

If you don't have the sort of budget that would stretch this type of bike, (Raleigh, Cube, Trek, Volt et all), then there seem to be some really nice bikes for a lot less, apart from that you pays your money....etc...

..happy hunting...

Last edited:

Daniel Chapman

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2016
Hi there - first post here so be gentle!

I'm looking at getting my first bike. Currently have a Giant Roam 2 non electric which I've hardly used, but really want to get into cycling more. Thing that's put me off is it's so hilly where I live and I have no stamina! Looking to lose a bit of weight and enjoy the outdoors more.

I think I've decided on getting a Cube (but happy to be persuaded otherwise), but am overwhelmed with the different choices across the range. I think I want one with the Gen 4 Bosch motor as I understand it has more torque, and also the largest battery I can reasonably find - as I'm guessing my weight will reduce range until I can reduce my weight!

Can anyone help guide me through the myriad of options, along with the pros and cons?

Regards

mistuk

I've got a Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro (2018) and I swear by it. The performance CX motor literally gets me up the steepest hill around here and lets me pull 2 kids in the trailer with ease, and at my weight, believe me that's one hell of a testament to the strength of the bike and motor. So I would wholeheartedly recommend the Reaction Pro and have done to family who have been equally impressed.

Cube man

Apr 8, 2020
I have a Cube Kathmandu exc 625 which i bought on 14/3/20. Have done 1100 miles since then . I think it is a great bike. I like the Gen 4 CX motor. The standard seat fitted to the bike is crap and has been replaced. The mudguards are short so they are not as good as they should be but i have rigged up an extension for the front mudguard. My wife has the ladies version and she loves it. Battery range is good with the 625 battery. The longest ride i have done is 52 miles on part road/part track last week and the battery was showing approx 50% left so i would imagine you could do 80 miles odd. I got 10% discount on both bikes plus £100 worth of extras. The bike has just been reviewed. Thumbs up from me.

Reactions: mistuk

mistuk

May 27, 2020
I have a Cube Kathmandu exc 625 which i bought on 14/3/20. Have done 1100 miles since then . I think it is a great bike. I like the Gen 4 CX motor. The standard seat fitted to the bike is crap and has been replaced. The mudguards are short so they are not as good as they should be but i have rigged up an extension for the front mudguard. My wife has the ladies version and she loves it. Battery range is good with the 625 battery. The longest ride i have done is 52 miles on part road/part track last week and the battery was showing approx 50% left so i would imagine you could do 80 miles odd. I got 10% discount on both bikes plus £100 worth of extras. The bike has just been reviewed. Thumbs up from me.
Thanks so much for your message. Can I ask which size you have and how tall you are? I’m 6ft and I’m not near a dealer to try one.

Cube man

Apr 8, 2020
Thanks so much for your message. Can I ask which size you have and how tall you are? I’m 6ft and I’m not near a dealer to try one.
We have size 54. Both of us are 5ft 10in. We tried the next size down in the shop which seemed fine but we were advised to go slightly bigger hence size 54. We live in Dorset and there are 2 cube dealers here i think. Ours came from Primera sports in Poole.
I don’t know what the supply situation is like now but we ordered ours on 24/1/20 and they arrived about 10/3/20.

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
I'm happy with my Acid Allroad. The mudguards do a great job of reducing all the mud thrown up from the wheels but make putting the bike in the back of the car harder as you can easily bend. I would never ride in the dark but have used the fitted lights in a few tunnels on trails and they were ok. Any ebike which is sold for under £2,000 is going to have some fairly basic components but I have done 1,500 happy miles without problem. I have just changed the chain which you have to expect to wear. While doing this I also slightly upgraded to an Alivio rear derailleur. The gear changing had always been very good but had gone off a bit recently. It is very good again now. On reflection maybe all I needed to do was renew the chain but we like to cosset our beloved machines.

The Bosch ALP is powerful enough for me although this model has now been upgraded to a Bosch CX (grr). Although some folk would disagree I find that a 9 speed set up is fine on an ebike; unless you are trying to climb walls you don't really need ultra low gears. It is a good all round ebike without being special in any way - you have to pay a lot more for special.

I changed the saddle for something a little more comfortable and fitted Marathon plus MTBs. I've only had them let go once - on fine sand - and they do seem to be puncture resistant so far. I might change the front forks as I'm not sure the Suntour XCMs are much better than a rigid front fork. My 20 year old Scott bike with Rockshox Air forks (which were mid range in their day) certainly does a better job of smoothing trails out than the XCMs.

I agree about going for the biggest battery available. I have a 500 and whilst I have never come close to using it all on one run its nice to know you have enough juice to get you home.