Thinking about buying a burley trailer for Bosch ebike

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
hi
I'am thinking hard about buying a burley trailer does any one on the forum have any experience
in using trailers and does it take a lot of battery power of you when you carrying things around
would another battery be a good investment to be able to carry cargo

Mar 9, 2016
I tow a kids trailer with an all up weight of about 25kg , use a Raleigh Motus with Bosch cd.. It copes easy. I was surprised how little difference trailer made to battery usage on its longest outing. Wife and I did Tissington trail ( or part of it) covering about 22 miles. I was down to 30% , wife down to 40.
Not many hills on Tissington tho, might be very different on steep climbs.
I,d try it first before investing in a battery.
For some reason our trailer is very expensive to run, always filling it with coke, ice creams and sandwiches..its noisy too.

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
i am just a little worried when going out and carrying cargo and not been able to get back home which is my problem i just want to commute with a trailer about 23 miles in total with about 60 kilos of weight carrying

Mar 9, 2016
i am just a little worried when going out and carrying cargo and not been able to get back home which is my problem i just want to commute with a trailer about 23 miles in total with about 60 kilos of weight carrying
I wouldn't like to try and answer that, its a good deal more weight than grandson.

D

Deleted member 4366

60kg is a lot. Even their flatbed cargo trailer is only rated for about 45 kg. How much battery you use will depend on the hills. I would have thought that a good approximation to battery usage could be calculated by using the ratio of weights. Say you weigh 75kg, your bike 25kg and you use on average 15 Wh/mile. Your new weight carrying 60kg on a 8kg trailer will be 168kg, so new watt-hours per mile is 15 x 168/100, which is about 25 Wh per mile.

What do yo plan to carry?

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
My weight is 93kg my battery is a 11ah bosch battery i normally at the moment do 23 miles and i have about 15 miles left when i come home
from my commute from the next town.

i would like to carry shopping golf clubs and any other objects that i need
to carry. when i want to have a swing of the clubs.At this moment in time i am carrying on my back sometimes it can be quite uncomfortable for me so i would prefer to have a trailer and i wouldn't have to worry about things like this just pull it a long i would prefer to carry another battery with me really then to have carry thing on my back

i would be able to carry more stuff when i go places which would
be a good thing At the moment i have really low limits of carrying
stuff with me which is no a great thing. i don't have a car because
i don't drive and to be honest and truthful i have no interest in
learning to drive either. i would be happy commuting with
just a electric bike and a trailer.

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton
I am taking my Woosh Kreiger to the Isle of Muck on Saturday. I will be towing a mule trailer, with all my amateur radio equipment in it. Visitors are not allowed to take cars onto the Island. So this is a good solution to transport equipment from the ferry terminal to the cottage, we are staying at. Which is on the other side of the island. The only road is all of 1.5 miles long. Do you think this will be the first electric bike on Muck? ;) Do you think I will need to take my charger?o_O

http://www.isleofmuck.com/

Mar 9, 2016
Looks fantastic.
Wife and I ran a hostel on Barra for a little while. Place and people stunning. Best views in world..
Hope you enjoy Muck...
No idea about charger ???

Shannock

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2012
Sheringham, Norfolk
We pull a YakBob trailer when we tour in France. We have an Ezee front wheel kit 36v 15ah battery fitted to a Thorn expedition tandem with filled panniers and the trailer filled with camping gear. this is a heavy combination also we do pedel all the time. But no problems, carried a spare battery but never used it. We recharged each night.

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton
I am taking my Woosh Kreiger to the Isle of Muck on Saturday. I will be towing a mule trailer, with all my amateur radio equipment in it. Visitors are not allowed to take cars onto the Island. So this is a good solution to transport equipment from the ferry terminal to the cottage, we are staying at. Which is on the other side of the island. The only road is all of 1.5 miles long. Do you think this will be the first electric bike on Muck? ;) Do you think I will need to take my charger?o_O

http://www.isleofmuck.com/

Here I am with my badly packed trailer heading back to the ferry.

http://www.m1rek.co.uk/isle-of-muck/