Thinking of buying a second folding ebike ?

karl62

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 30, 2022
I bought a Rambletta a few months ago and it’s been brilliant - highly recommended as an everyday bike and occasional boot carry.

However, several issues have arisen which are making me contemplate a lighter, more compact folder as a replacement/addition:

1. I usually park my bike outside the gym 4 times a week and have been warned that some of the kids that hang around outside have their eyes on my bike and that they are handy with an angle grinder. I have a fantastic U lock and it’s secured to proper bicycle bars, but the thought that my bike might be stolen is interfering with my training. I started thinking the alternative is to have a light folder that I can trawl around the gym with me. The whoosh is really too big for that.

2. My wife has a trike and we have a decent sized boot on the car, but it’s an art getting both in the car and the struggle is putting me off local trips and driving me crazy for longer holidays. It can take half an hour just to get the bikes in the boot - I don’t want them on display, or external to the car. A smaller, lighter footprint would help a great deal.

Fortunately I don’t need to be cost conscious, but I’m also keen not to be taken in by fancy names, bling and promises. I need to be able to take the bike on cycle tracks-nothing extreme, just gravel surfaced dedicated cycle routes less than 15 miles all in. The Brompton P seems to tick all the boxes, but it’s pricey for what it is - I was actually tempted by their titanium model as it only weighs 7Kg, but then it has no motor. There is the Gocycle and Hummingbird ( weird way of folding which might make the folded size difficult.

Anyone suggested alternatives, or which is best from that bunch, or how they would go about solving my dilemma without even buying a bike ?

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Fortunately I don’t need to be cost conscious, but I’m also keen not to be taken in by fancy names, bling and promises.

The Brompton P seems to tick all the boxes, but it’s pricey for what it is
Well maybe pricey, but they are quality British built bikes that will last a while. For taking indoors and wheeling about as in shops (or Gyms) then they are hard to beat.

There are lots of places I would be very reluctant to leave an eBike hanging around outside, so a go anywhere folder is a major benefit.

There are Brompton conversion kits available, I have a Swytch on mine, does the job.

If I were to loose my 20 year old Brompton, I would definetly get the Titanium one and add a conversion. I can justify it as reduced stress on my aging joints and muscles.

Last edited:
Reactions: karl62

karl62

Oct 30, 2022
Well maybe pricey, but they are quality British built bikes that will last a while. For taking indoors and wheeling about as in shops (or Gyms) then they are hard to beat.

There are lots of places I would be very reluctant to leave an eBike hanging around outside, so a go anywhere folder is a major benefit.

There are Brompton conversion kits available, I have a Swytch on mine, does the job.

If I were to loose my 20 year old Brompton, I would definetly get the Titanium one and add a conversion. I can justify it as reduced stress on my aging joints and muscles.
I’m going to see if my gym is happy with me keeping it near me in the gym. I can’t see why not, but they have their rules. will have a run out to the Brompton and Gocycle shop with my wife’s trike in the back and see if there are any issues or advantages of one bike over the other.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I’m going to see if my gym is happy with me keeping it near me in the gym. I can’t see why not, but they have their rules. will have a run out to the Brompton and Gocycle shop with my wife’s trike in the back and see if there are any issues or advantages of one bike over the other.
The briliance of the folded Brompton is that it is neat and compact with no obvious pointy dangerous looking bits.

Other folded bikes, well, they look like folded bikes with pointy bits.

I went to the doctors for a blood test last week, I could have gone on the bus, but on the Brompton I was there in 5 minutes. I carried the Brompton up the stairs into the surgery and plompted it in the corner, no issues, no-one noticed. The average modern childs pushchair takes up heaps more room.

I am but a beginner as I have only been using a Brompton for 20 years, but whilst its possible my memory is failing, I cannot recall being stopped carrying it into anywhere.

Reactions: Benny09 and karl62

karl62

Oct 30, 2022
The briliance of the folded Brompton is that it is neat and compact with no obvious pointy dangerous looking bits.

Other folded bikes, well, they look like folded bikes with pointy bits.

I went to the doctors for a blood test last week, I could have gone on the bus, but on the Brompton I was there in 5 minutes. I carried the Brompton up the stairs into the surgery and plompted it in the corner, no issues, no-one noticed. The average modern childs pushchair takes up heaps more room.

I am but a beginner as I have only been using a Brompton for 20 years, but whilst its possible my memory is failing, I cannot recall being stopped carrying it into anywhere.
I like the electric brompton p line and the Gocycle GR4. Brompton is marginally lighter and more compact, but 16” vs 20” wheels and hydraulic disc brakes. Tough call really. Brompton I think is better warranty. Gocycle a bit less expensive.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
There are the fiido brand folders which get a seal of approval from Cycle buddy, maybe he can give more insight on them regarding weight & folding ability.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
This is an argument I've had with my Doctor. Like the OP's Gym, my Doctor promotes fitness by encouraging excercise such as walking or cycling... yet my GP has nowhere to safely lock up my bike, so I drive instead.

Surely such places should have a secure compound or locker where someone keen to improve their health can lock up and store their bike - especially a compact folding one?

Brompton trumps the G4 and my own Fiido D11 on compactness of fold, but all three (the electric Brompton, G4 and D11) weigh about the same - roughly 16.5kg (EB), 17kg (D11) and 17.5kg (G4). The G4 and D11 IMO score on having 20" wheels and disc brakes. The D11 has the biggest battery at 417Wh (the EB and G4 is IIRC 300Wh). The D11 is also only about the same cost as your Rambletta: It's good value, has good manufacturer support, but it's by no means perfect.

My criteria for buying my D11 was because it's as light as the others you mention for manhandling, it rolls in folded form relatively easily, and has a larger battery for my commute, shopping and leisure (road and gravel paths). Like the OP, cost wasn't really an issue. My mixed-mode commute uses trains, but equally I've taken it into Sainsbury's, a few pubs, and my Dentist's reception.

I wouldn't leave any of these unattended outside anywhere, not even for a few minutes.

Last edited:

karl62

Oct 30, 2022
Brilliant answers.

I’d looked at the D11 before buying the Rambletta, I think I was put off by some issues with wiring, faulty motors and water ingress ? It’s actually the same folded dimensions as the G4-I can see why it would be attractive at that price and weight because it’s essentially a G4 without the clever design features. in terms of trailing it around the gym and putting it in the car there would be no advantage in getting the G4 over the D11 and of course its 3 x the price. The G4 is also a bit too attractive - I really prefer incognito.

That leaves the Brompton which clearly does have some advantages in its pack size and as the battery is built removable which means I could stuff that into my rucksack, or into a gym locker leaving only 12Kg to lug around the gym. It would be far easier to put in the car for space. The disadvantage are those 16” wheels and it’s performance on gravel tracks. I need to try a Brompton first and determine if it’s manageable on gravel tracks.

Thank you all for the helpful replies so far. It’s also good to know I’m not being paranoid with respect to leaving electric bikes locked outside my local gym. I was thinking just how easy it would be for a thief to glue my lock, watch me leave, then set to work with a grinder before I returned.

kwpe

Aug 29, 2022
This is an argument I've had with my Doctor. Like the OP's Gym, my Doctor promotes fitness by encouraging excercise such as walking or cycling... yet my GP has nowhere to safely lock up my bike, so I drive instead.

Surely such places should have a secure compound or locker where someone keen to improve their health can lock up and store their bike - especially a compact folding one?

Brompton trumps the G4 and my own Fiido D11 on compactness of fold, but all three (the electric Brompton, G4 and D11) weigh about the same - roughly 16.5kg (EB), 17kg (D11) and 17.5kg (G4). The G4 and D11 IMO score on having 20" wheels and disc brakes. The D11 has the biggest battery at 417Wh (the EB and G4 is IIRC 300Wh). The D11 is also only about the same cost as your Rambletta: It's good value, has good manufacturer support, but it's by no means perfect.

My criteria for buying my D11 was because it's as light as the others you mention for manhandling, it rolls in folded form relatively easily, and has a larger battery for my commute, shopping and leisure (road and gravel paths). Like the OP, cost wasn't really an issue. My mixed-mode commute uses trains, but equally I've taken it into Sainsbury's, a few pubs, and my Dentist's reception.

I wouldn't leave any of these unattended outside anywhere, not even for a few minutes.

View attachment 49357
I bought a Rambletta a few months ago and it’s been brilliant - highly recommended as an everyday bike and occasional boot carry.

However, several issues have arisen which are making me contemplate a lighter, more compact folder as a replacement/addition:

1. I usually park my bike outside the gym 4 times a week and have been warned that some of the kids that hang around outside have their eyes on my bike and that they are handy with an angle grinder. I have a fantastic U lock and it’s secured to proper bicycle bars, but the thought that my bike might be stolen is interfering with my training. I started thinking the alternative is to have a light folder that I can trawl around the gym with me. The whoosh is really too big for that.

2. My wife has a trike and we have a decent sized boot on the car, but it’s an art getting both in the car and the struggle is putting me off local trips and driving me crazy for longer holidays. It can take half an hour just to get the bikes in the boot - I don’t want them on display, or external to the car. A smaller, lighter footprint would help a great deal.

Fortunately I don’t need to be cost conscious, but I’m also keen not to be taken in by fancy names, bling and promises. I need to be able to take the bike on cycle tracks-nothing extreme, just gravel surfaced dedicated cycle routes less than 15 miles all in. The Brompton P seems to tick all the boxes, but it’s pricey for what it is - I was actually tempted by their titanium model as it only weighs 7Kg, but then it has no motor. There is the Gocycle and Hummingbird ( weird way of folding which might make the folded size difficult.

Anyone suggested alternatives, or which is best from that bunch, or how they would go about solving my dilemma without even buying a bike ?
Brilliant answers.

I’d looked at the D11 before buying the Rambletta, I think I was put off by some issues with wiring, faulty motors and water ingress ? It’s actually the same folded dimensions as the G4-I can see why it would be attractive at that price and weight because it’s essentially a G4 without the clever design features. in terms of trailing it around the gym and putting it in the car there would be no advantage in getting the G4 over the D11 and of course its 3 x the price. The G4 is also a bit too attractive - I really prefer incognito.

That leaves the Brompton which clearly does have some advantages in its pack size and as the battery is built removable which means I could stuff that into my rucksack, or into a gym locker leaving only 12Kg to lug around the gym. It would be far easier to put in the car for space. The disadvantage are those 16” wheels and it’s performance on gravel tracks. I need to try a Brompton first and determine if it’s manageable on gravel tracks.

Thank you all for the helpful replies so far. It’s also good to know I’m not being paranoid with respect to leaving electric bikes locked outside my local gym. I was thinking just how easy it would be for a thief to glue my lock, watch me leave, then set to work with a grinder before I returned.
The Rutland chain of bike shops has changed hands (now Specialized) and they are clearing some old stock at sale prices. That appears to include electric Bromptons, but of course what's left is changing all the time.

(I ride something else with the same narrow 16" tyres as the Brompton. Fine on road and cyclepath, but not on (eg) a woodland path where other bikes feel much better.)

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Its a universal problem.

Take an average town centre, its just not safe to leave a half decent bike hanging around. My electric mountain bike I would never leave locked up in town, so if I want to goto the shops, its the Brompton I take, which is easy to wheel around the shops. But not everyone can do that.

So why have the people who are trying to persuade the masses not to drive everywhere not providing lock up booths for cycles, of the types supermarkets have for trolleys ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My doc's surgery is the same, one solitary U framed bike locking point in the carpark with no shelter. I cycle to my doc's and simply lock my bike to the support posts of the entrance canopy to the side of the main door.
They don't help those who can or wish to cycle to the surgery and benifit form the excercise and well being that they can provide. In the most part though most that are capable of cycling are too lazy or unwilling to give up the car.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I was thinking just how easy it would be for a thief to glue my lock, watch me leave, then set to work with a grinder before I returned.
Or a thief could insert 1mmX1mm cut piece of needle into the lock barrel, thus in effect lengthening a barrel pin, thereby preventing the lock barrel turning, or perhaps indeed key insertion... which could lead you to believe some manner of lock failure had occurred, and not necessarily lock sabotage by the soon to be thief.

• Informative
Reactions: karl62 and Woosh

karl62

Oct 30, 2022
The Rutland chain of bike shops has changed hands (now Specialized) and they are clearing some old stock at sale prices. That appears to include electric Bromptons, but of course what's left is changing all the time.

(I ride something else with the same narrow 16" tyres as the Brompton. Fine on road and cyclepath, but not on (eg) a woodland path where other bikes feel much better.)
I talked to a guy in Evans that highly recommended I didn’t ride anywhere but town roads, but I’ve come across several on the internet that do ride easy trails. The thing is, I’m riding with my wife who barely gets above 8 mph so it’s not as though I’m pushing any limits. Id walk it across cattle grids, or where there is deep gravel/mud as she’s going so slowly at that point I can walk faster.

Rutland only had the basic 2 speed electric which wouldn’t be the right thing for me.

karl62

Oct 30, 2022
Its a universal problem.

Take an average town centre, its just not safe to leave a half decent bike hanging around. My electric mountain bike I would never leave locked up in town, so if I want to goto the shops, its the Brompton I take, which is easy to wheel around the shops. But not everyone can do that.

So why have the people who are trying to persuade the masses not to drive everywhere not providing lock up booths for cycles, of the types supermarkets have for trolleys ?
I’d happily pay a small fee to have a safe, secure lock up.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I’d happily pay a small fee to have a safe, secure lock up.
Indeed, but what do a lot of town centres have ?

Huge monstrosity multi storey buildings stuffed full of polution creating machines.

Is it possible that having somewhere secure to leave your vehicle (or cycle) encourages you to use it ?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Amazon and other delivery service lockers appear to be popping up everywhere - it'd be helpful if cyclists could temporarily store a folding bike inside one of the larger unused compartments, for a small hourly fee. I'll email my suggestion to Jeff Bezos: jeff@amazon.com (he actually reads those). Because every new revenue stream helps populate the Moon with Amazon slaves, that little bit quicker...

I take my folding 22.1kg Bafang BBS01b+19.2ah converted 2006 Dahon Helios P8 everywhere. I expected being refused access on insurance grounds at some point, but on the one occasion someone objected, it was because my bike was a bit muddy.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
It’s also good to know I’m not being paranoid with respect to leaving electric bikes locked outside my local gym.
Our leisure centre is the local hotspot for bike thieves.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Our leisure centre is the local hotspot for bike thieves.
Perhaps because people who exercise, spend more on their bikes?

karl62

Oct 30, 2022
I asked at the gym, but currently the answer is officially no. I’ve written to JD Gyms to see if they might allow it . I really don’t see why not, but clearly an employee isn’t going to risk saying yes.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I asked at the gym, but currently the answer is officially no. I’ve written to JD Gyms to see if they might allow it . I really don’t see why not, but clearly an employee isn’t going to risk saying yes.
Could be an insurance issue - maybe ask if you can take in luggage? A bike in a bag is luggage.