Thinking of buying Kalkoff S10 2015 model "any other recommendations i would be grateful"

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
Hi

i have bought a BH Neo Cross about August time and it has come to my attention that it not easy to be able to change either the tube or the cassette with ease due to that fact you have to cable is in the frame work on the side of the cassette.I think most people would find this very difficult to do if you were out commuting and you have a flat tyre. i have tried slime in my tubes but all that happened was that i couldn't pump up my tyre to the right pressure and i have to change the whole tube this is how i found out how differcult it was to change the tube on the BH Neo Cross.i have taken the bike to a BH Dealer near me and they have said to me that if i was cycling and it did happen that i did get flat it would be very difficult to sort out.

I have been on the Pedelec forum and reading about the kalkoff agattu and people have been haven a lot of problems with i was just wondering have people had any problems with the kalkoff s10 because i was thinking about buying one in the spring and selling my BH Neo Cross.

i am looking for a good crank driven electric bike any recommendations and i would be really grateful for it

Thank you for reading my post

Paul

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Can't help with the Kalkoff, but I would say that your BH dealer is incorrect.

It takes less than five minutes to remove and re fit the rear wheel on a NEO Xtrem, and looking at Youtube clips, the same could be said for the Cross.
Just dab a bit of white correction marker onto the motor cable connector to make it easier to align the arrow when re fitting, fit a small cable tie to prevent it from disappearing into the frame, and the job is all but done. Just practice it a couple of times, and you will soon get the hang of it. If you happen to live near to Crowborough, I'll happily show you/demonstrate how to do it. :)

There is no need for hub motored wheels to be an issue to remove or re fit on any bike, irrelevant of make. :)

These might help to guide you.

Last edited:

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
Thank you very much for showing me the videos and all your information about doing the back wheel but my point is how could i carry a work stand about 20 miles away from home and i have a flat tyre it looks quite simply on the work stand because you have everything at the right level to work on it but when you are away from home it would be a lot more harder to do i am sure you would agree with me no one would know when you are going to get the next punture and you have to sort it and if you are a long way from home it would be harder to do. i would never carry a work stand to be able to sort out the bike wheel

D

Deleted member 4366

I've had several bikes with that motor. Fixing a puncture is no more difficult than any bike. You just turn the bike upside down standing it on the handlebars and saddle - no need for a work-bench. For nearly all punctures, you don't need to take the wheel off. You just take the tyre off the rim on one side and pull the tube out. You then fix the puncture and put the tube back in. In the worst case that you need a new tube or tyre, you pull them off on the non-wire side as above, then you undo the axle nuts and lift the wheel just enough to clear the drop-outs, and pull the tube (and tyre if necessary) over the axle leaving the wire atrached on the other side. To assemble, you just reverse the above procedure.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Hi

i have bought a BH Neo Cross about August time and it has come to my attention that it not easy to be able to change either the tube or the cassette with ease due to that fact you have to cable is in the frame work on the side of the cassette.I think most people would find this very difficult to do if you were out commuting and you have a flat tyre. i have tried slime in my tubes but all that happened was that i couldn't pump up my tyre to the right pressure and i have to change the whole tube this is how i found out how differcult it was to change the tube on the BH Neo Cross.i have taken the bike to a BH Dealer near me and they have said to me that if i was cycling and it did happen that i did get flat it would be very difficult to sort out.

I have been on the Pedelec forum and reading about the kalkoff agattu and people have been haven a lot of problems with i was just wondering have people had any problems with the kalkoff s10 because i was thinking about buying one in the spring and selling my BH Neo Cross.

i am looking for a good crank driven electric bike any recommendations and i would be really grateful for it

Thank you for reading my post

Paul
I've got an Agattu Impulse 1 which I really like. There is an issue with the wheel pulling forward under load with this bike and other Nexus bikes from other makers too. But I fixed it with some chain pulls. The latest Agattu is belt drive and has different dropouts so its been addressed I assume.

I rode a Pro Connect 9 a month ago which was a very good bike and more powerful than my Impulse 1. It has the motor interrupt which allows gear changing without soft pedalling or cutting the motor and which works well. The forks let it down a bit but it is a lot cheaper than the better spec PC 10.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Mac_user82, as D8veh has said, you simply turn the bike over. The only thing that I would say, is that you do need to either remove the handlebar control console, or place something between the bar ends and the ground to prevent damage.
Admittedly that aspect could be a pain, but the actual wheel removal is very easy.
I have also done as D8veh on many occasions, and just left the wheel in. Invariably the bike was always so muddy, that I simply preferred to remove it completely and get it away from the crudded up bike.

It just seems a shame for you to potentially loose money selling a bike, if that is the only issue with it.
You could possibly look at other options, such as puncture resistant tyres and tubes.

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
i have bought some Panaracer tour guard tyres and i have had a a flat on the front tyre lucky it wasn't the back tyre i have even tried slime to see if that would work but it came to the stage where i have to pull the tube out and throw it away and use a brand new tubes because i was unable to pump up the tyre.One thing i have notice with the bh neo cross is the battery doesnt last to well about 22 miles and i have a flat battery and i don't really don't live in a hilly area at all probably one of the flattess in the country compared to some places where it is really hilly.Another thing have i have notice to is the bh neo cross seems to chew the chains really fast i am lucky to get a month out of chain before i am due to put a new chain on i always check my chain all the time to make sure it hasn't gone over 0.75

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I also had both issues with the Xtrem.

I could kill a battery in roughly 12 miles using only eco mode, and also used to eat chains at a rapid rate. My chain eating had alot to do with my use of the bike, rather than chain quality, and I had been known to get as little as approx 100miles of use from them.

Oddly, I thought about a BS10 when I very first started to look at e-bikes, and had no intention of even buying a BH, but fell in love with the sleek looks and integrated battery when I first saw the bike in the flesh. I had brilliant fun with the bike, but the flaws and poor service by BH UK outweighed the enjoyment that I was getting from it.
It kind of sounds as though your heart might no longer be in the bike, so good luck with selling it, and also the move onto the next bike. :)

TinKitten

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2014
Abergavenny
www.pottylou.co.uk
Mac_user82, I too have Slime in my tyres and recently encountered a similar problem with getting air into my rear tyre. And as you did, I tried to remove my rear wheel but failed because of the electrics. Two things I learnt though...

1) If you tyre is not accepting air then the Slime has clogged the valve. You can get a simple tyre pressure pencil guage with a bit on the end which screws into your valve and pulls out the core. Then either clean out the clogged core or put a new one in (they are not expensive). Just remember to let the tyre down gently if you can get air out or you will spray Slime everywhere like I did. No need to replace the tube. :)

2) When I asked my dealer about removing the rear wheel they advised me as above. That it was best to just uncouple it far enough to pull off the tube, but to leave the side with the electrical connection attached so no fiddly connections were undone. Admittedly it doesn't seem easy for a novice like me to achieve but changing a puncture on any bike would have me anxious through lack of experience.

I hope that helps. As Eddie says, if your heart isn't with the bike anymore then change it. But at least know the Slime valve problem can be easily solved. :)

D

Deleted member 4366

i always check my chain all the time to make sure it hasn't gone over 0.75
I'm an expert in quality control. I invented the fundamental laws of quality control. The first law is "The more you check, the more problems you find". The corollary to that is that if you don't check, you don't find anything.

Chuck your chain guage and you'll probably never have to buy another chain. I bought a worn out bike for £5, which I converted to electric. I kept the original chain, and I've done 1050 miles without even oiling it yet. It should manage a few more thousand miles yet. I've never checked it. If I did, I'm sure your guage will show that I should have replaced it years ago.

PS. I'm not advocating lack of maintenance. This was just a test to see how a cheap bike could hold up without maintenance.