Thinking of selling my E-bike but worried about the process and what to ask?

Klang180

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
exeter
Hello, it's been a while since I posted but seen as I got great advice when I bought my kit I thought I would come back when the prospect of selling it has come up.

Right so, I see that people are going crazy for electric bikes right now and seen as I have never been entirely happy with mine I am thinking of selling it and doing another project. To be straight it isn't because it is a bad conversion but because I bought the Yose Power 48v rear wheel hub kit for an old mountain bike I had and now I realise I need bigger wheels and a bigger bike and so want to sell it.

I have two issues though. The first is that if I sold it on facebook marketplace, gumtree or ebay and someone quite rightly wanted a test ride, how exactly do I ensure that they don't just ride away with it? I know the vast majority of people are trustworthy and have sold loads of stuff in person with no issues at all but this time I cannot escape the feeling that I am offering the perfect getaway vehicle!

My second issue is what sort of price to expect? It is a YosePower 48v 350w rear hub motor that I have had for 1.5 years now and probably put about 300 miles on it. I have stored the battery inside and charged it monthly at least and probably about 25 times in total. It runs really well and I would keep it happily if it weren't for the fact that the 26" wheels feel just too small for me at 6ft2.

A bit about the actual bike (which is drafted from an ad i have made)
  • Schwinn Mesa Ltd 21inch frame (suitable for 5ft9-6ft 1)
  • 11.6Ah Samsung Cell battery (30 mile range)
  • Pedal assist mode with 5 power settings
  • Hydraulic disc brakes
  • Shimano Deore Rapid rise rear mech
  • Shimano Deore rapidfire shifter
  • RST Gila forks recently serviced
  • Topeak rear rack
  • Clarks comfy grips
  • Conti Sport contact slick tyres
  • Front and back mudguards
  • Can be limited to 15.5mph with no signs of 350w on hub
  • Heads up display with multiple settings and measurements
  • Single speed chainring at front for ease of maintenance
So what do you guys reckon?
1. how do you sell safely without someone cycling off?
2. How much would you expect for this setup?IMG_20210321_114006378.jpgIMG_20210321_114014300.jpg

Attachments

D

Deleted member 33385

I have two issues though. The first is that if I sold it on facebook marketplace, gumtree or ebay and someone quite rightly wanted a test ride, how exactly do I ensure that they don't just ride away with it? I know the vast majority of people are trustworthy and have sold loads of stuff in person with no issues at all but this time I cannot escape the feeling that I am offering the perfect getaway vehicle!

Always ask for a vaulable hostage, such as the money or their phone (if it's a good one).

2. How much would you expect for this setup?

Start high, and say you're open to offers?

Reactions: Klang180

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
Re: price - do it as an auction. If you advertise it correctly (good description - as above, be honest, good images, and time it for Sunday evening) then I can't think of any reason not put it on eBay. It's a market - you'll get what it's worth. Just don't cock up the listing! Measure it accurately, and clean the bike before taking photos, of course. :rolleyes:

In terms of test rides, ask for a deposit or some collateral (car keys, etc). But I suspect you'll sell it without a test ride.
You might even sell it here...

D

Deleted member 33385

Film yourself packaging your bike for postage (if posting), because it's seller beware on ebay... Many a seller has been stung - buyers can claim an empty box was delivered, and ebay almost always takes the side of the buyer.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
As others have said keep the testing riders phone/wallet/keys also Ask for photo ID

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
In my experience of selling bikes and bike parts on ebay is that most buyers tried to get me to post it. Bad idea in my opinion so I advertise as collection only and stick to it, that way the buyer sees exactly what they are buying. I always refused test rides but offered a refund if they brought it straight back which never happened because I wouldn't sell a dodgy item, bike or . Bear in mind that thieves are very clever and are expert at stealing things.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
If it fails to sell, you could sell it as parts...

Johnocyprus

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 5, 2011
When I sold a bike recently I made it clear that I wanted the asking price in my hand before any test rides and had no probs, I always speak to any prospectives buyers before giving my address because I won’t have anybody round who doesn't sound right. You do get chancers especially on anonymous websites.
Why not advertise on here, we‘re a civilised lot. No idea on value I’m afraid.
Your location would be useful.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Only you and the buyer will know the price, if you get little interest then the price is too high. Being diy bike £300 - £400 as used.

Klang180

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
exeter
Thanks everyone, that has been exceptionally useful. I actually already put it on ebay but pulled it a few hours later because of this and now am going to go back and make sure I have every last detail covered and every angle, scratch, paint chip etc. covered so that people know what they are getting. I don't want to disappoint but I also don't want people to come back to me later about something I didn't tell them.

I think the consensus appears to be money before test ride and to be extra weary. One thing with FB marketplace is that it is great for selling as there are no fees and I find things sell really quickly but when it comes to a pricier item you are essentially showing people where this valuable thing is. It is handy though as you can see their profile beforehand and some just don't look right for one reason or another.

In the 6hrs I had it on ebay with a start of 495 I had 80 views and 11 watchers so it must have at least seemed reasonable initially!

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Thanks everyone, that has been exceptionally useful. I actually already put it on ebay but pulled it a few hours later because of this and now am going to go back and make sure I have every last detail covered and every angle, scratch, paint chip etc. covered so that people know what they are getting. I don't want to disappoint but I also don't want people to come back to me later about something I didn't tell them.

I think the consensus appears to be money before test ride and to be extra weary. One thing with FB marketplace is that it is great for selling as there are no fees and I find things sell really quickly but when it comes to a pricier item you are essentially showing people where this valuable thing is. It is handy though as you can see their profile beforehand and some just don't look right for one reason or another.

In the 6hrs I had it on ebay with a start of 495 I had 80 views and 11 watchers so it must have at least seemed reasonable initially!
I hade an ebay business for many years and sold over 10,000 items.
It might sound counter productive but £0.99p is the best starting price for all things. The most expensive bike I sold went for £1500, I sold my camera for 2.5K, so not talking small potatoes exactly and they all started at £0.99p. Anyway, they all went the same way with people asking how much to take it off sale and accept cash which starts a mini bidding war with you totally in control.
If its in good order it will sell itself.

Reactions: richtea99

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
I'm with Gubbins - if you want it to definitely sell, then start very low. You'll get lots of attention (initially chancers having a hopeful bid), but by the 6th day (assuming a 7 day listing) you'll have several solid bidders watching carefully. I've sold motorbikes worth £4k+ starting at £100. That's mildly scary.

With a Sunday finish, you'll get to Friday night, and it'll be about half/2/3rds the final price. Then the serious people start to bid. Be brave!

One other minor bit of advice - next weekend is Easter, so a fair number of people will be doing something other than looking at eBay. I'd set it to finish on one of the weekends after. (It never ceases to amaze me folks who set their ad to finish on Christmas Day afternoon - you're just not going to get the normal number of bids.)