This is a bit of an odd one

cadjockey

Just Joined
Jun 11, 2020
Hi Cadjockey here. Stumbled accross this site and figured if you guys can't help me no one can...

I love my MTB, but am not gonna give up the peddling on that for now. I also have this thing, currently
hanging in my garage, called a Dirtsurfer. It looks a lot like this...

It's basically an inline mountain board with two 16" front wheels and a disc brake on the rear one.
And guess what, I've Been wanting to electrify it for years. I've looked at buying a golden motor magic pie
kit, but frankly I'm no electronics expert and they are still quite pricey.

So now there are more conversion kits about like the SWYTCH, so 1/ is it feasible I could take something like
that and drop the motor hub into a 16" tyre, and 2/ could I then bypass the pedal sensor and have it just
run on throttle. Or is there a similar throttle kit out there.

Functionally, I just need it to hoick me back up the hill so I can hurtle down trying to avoid breaking my neck.

Any help appreciated. I know it's not a bike!

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)

cadjockey

Just Joined
Jun 11, 2020
This is just about the legalities of where you can ride such a thing, but thanks.
Legally it's in the same category as an electric scooter. A Dirtsurfer is an offroad
device basically.
In fact, the government is currently persuing a bizarre rule for electric scooters
if you ask me. How should it be legal to rent one and use it on the roads, but not
own one? I wouldn't want to use my Dirtsurferon the roads as stopping is a bit on the
arbitrary side...!

Reactions: Scorpio

jokskot

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
Interesting....and I'm interested!
I presume 2 16" front wheels is a mistype.
I guess you'd be having fairly short sessions so you wouldn't need a large battery - there is not much room to carry one in addition to the control box
Do you envisage operating the throttle by hand either wired or wireless?
Are the front forks (or the rear forks for that matter) wide enough to accommodate a hub motor?
Consider buying a Voilamart kit, available on e Bay for <£150 and could your LBS rebuild the wheel incorporating the motor? Though it would make for rather short spokes.