this is really a big problem. The electric motor touches the brake. Please advise.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks for your interest guys. I'm having a bike mechanic do this because I cut my finger. It will use 180mm rotor as you said. But he did not advise me to use the brake sensors. He said after a few months it would cause problems with the engine. Is this true?(I told him to put it on anyway because I want to use my own brake levers.)
He doesn't know what he's talking about, brakes sensors/cut outs are there to protect the controller from frying. They have no effect on the motor.
Only one sensor /cut out is needed so fit it to the rear brake.

• Agree
Reactions: MontyPAS and dzhem

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you have a throttle fitted then a brake cut out is a good idea , other wise they aren't really necessary unless the PAS has a bit of over ride.

• Agree
Reactions: MontyPAS

dzhem

Pedelecer
May 13, 2021
He might be a mechanic, but he knows nothing about electronics/electrics.
I trusted you and told him to install the sensors anyway. You are really right. He said he tried installing sensors for the rear brake but couldn't. (He said there was no place to put the sensor and no distance.) This situation seemed a bit ridiculous to me. He said that if I use the front brake a little before the rear brake, the electric motor will stop anyway. I'm a little sorry I made him do this job. I will now look for a way to install the rear brake sensor. But the method of preventing the rotor from touching the electric motor is ingenious. Friends, I will share photos here as an example. (I'll be waiting for your comments on how the kit is installed)

dzhem

Pedelecer
May 13, 2021
He doesn't know what he's talking about, brakes sensors/cut outs are there to protect the controller from frying. They have no effect on the motor.
Only one sensor /cut out is needed so fit it to the rear brake.
He said he installed the front brake sensor because I insisted, but couldn't find a way to install the rear brake sensor. I will find a way to connect the sensor to the rear brake as well.

dzhem

Pedelecer
May 13, 2021
If you have a throttle fitted then a brake cut out is a good idea , other wise they aren't really necessary unless the PAS has a bit of over ride.
I don't use throttles but since I already have sensors I find it useful to use them. (I felt this when I tested the sensor on the front brake.)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As you have the front one working then , no need to fit both. the easiest option for brake sensors with cable brakes is to use a pair of the integrated brake levers cost about £15. One simply replaces like for like.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's a standard hidden wire brake sensor (HWBS). You can put them anywhere on the cable you want. They're designed with one end to receive the outer cable and the other to go in a caable receiver, so if you put it in the middle of the cable, you need a female to female ferrule, which you should be able to get from a decent bike shop. if you can't find one, you can always use one of these. neither are essential. They're just tidier, rather than having the cable just butted against the male end of the HWBS:

middle picture type (inline adjuster) that has female at both ends

Reactions: dzhem

dzhem

Pedelecer
May 13, 2021
I actually told the bike mechanic to install a 180mm rotor and I accepted the cost but somehow he said it left a 1-2mm gap between the electric motor and the caliper. I did some cycling today and saw them touching each other again. It's a really tiring process. I searched on the internet and couldn't find a 140-180 mm adapter. Can I find it at any bike shop? Or will it definitively solve my 140-160mm adapter and 160mm rotor problem?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I actually told the bike mechanic to install a 180mm rotor and I accepted the cost but somehow he said it left a 1-2mm gap between the electric motor and the caliper. I did some cycling today and saw them touching each other again. It's a really tiring process. I searched on the internet and couldn't find a 140-180 mm adapter. Can I find it at any bike shop? Or will it definitively solve my 140-160mm adapter and 160mm rotor problem?
The adapter is basically 2 pieces of thick aluminium tube with 6 mm holes for the bolts and held the right distance apart with a strip of aluminium. I saw a couple when I looked at Ebay.

With post mount to post mount, you don't really need one. Just use a stack of my washers.

dzhem

Pedelecer
May 13, 2021
The adapter is basically 2 pieces of thick aluminium tube with 6 mm holes for the bolts and held the right distance apart with a strip of aluminium. I saw a couple when I looked at Ebay.

With post mount to post mount, you don't really need one. Just use a stack of my washers.
I got up early in the morning and set out for it. But everywhere is closed due to bank holiday. Can you send me a sample of the adapter you see on ebay? Please. I don't want to buy anything wrong as I don't know much about this job.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
This is for a 180mm disc. Select rear 180mm post mount. Obviously, if you fit a 160mm disc, you need a 160mm one:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0190_03_01.JPG
thats a 203mm rotor but you get the idea ;)

dzhem

Pedelecer
May 13, 2021
This is for a 180mm disc. Select rear 180mm post mount. Obviously, if you fit a 160mm disc, you need a 160mm one:

I think I understand. my rotor is 140mm. If I buy this, I can just buy a 180mm rotor and use it with the same caliper right? So, will these screw ranges be suitable for my bike? Can I enlarge 40mm?

Last edited:

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I may be wrong, but if your std mount is for a 140mm disc, then a 180mm (+20mm) adapter will allow you to fit a 160 disc, not a 180. Please feel free to correct me on this.