this is really a big problem. The electric motor touches the brake. Please advise.

joelectric

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2019
Motherwell
this will work just not with the caliper you have becose of the bolt spacing.

problem is i can not find it for sale cheap in any bike shop in stock and only on ebay at near £30 and is the only way to fix this problem.

cable caliper also seem to be a lot wider than hydraulic ones but again modern ones wont match the bolt spacing on the frame so you will need that frame adaptor one way or another.

or take a Dremel to the caliper you have to make the space and grind it down to fit if you only need a few more mm.
This looks the same one here ?(soundwave?) for £8.99 and only £3 shipping

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the bolt spacing is not the same as it wont fit to the frame he has only the tektro one will work as 40mm vs normal 74mm spacing to fixit to the frame.

dzhem

Pedelecer
May 13, 2021
this will work just not with the caliper you have becose of the bolt spacing.

problem is i can not find it for sale cheap in any bike shop in stock and only on ebay at near £30 and is the only way to fix this problem.

cable caliper also seem to be a lot wider than hydraulic ones but again modern ones wont match the bolt spacing on the frame so you will need that frame adaptor one way or another.

or take a Dremel to the caliper you have to make the space and grind it down to fit if you only need a few more mm.
As you said, we solved the problem with dremel, but I still think it makes sense to buy this adapter. And I'll have to buy an adapter that fits that width, right?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
yes the adaptor must match the spacing on the frame problem is as that is a very old standard most modern calipers have a bolt spacing of 74mm. so the one you have wont fit on top of it.

a lbs might be able to order it in cheaper direct from tektro if your not in any rush.

Reactions: dzhem

dzhem

Pedelecer
May 13, 2021
yes the adaptor must match the spacing on the frame problem is as that is a very old standard most modern calipers have a bolt spacing of 74mm. so the one you have wont fit on top of it.

a lbs might be able to order it in cheaper direct from tektro if your not in any rush.
understood. thank you again. Yes, I'm in no hurry. I will check tektro's website from time to time to see if it's in stock. so how do you know this adapter is compatible with 40mm gap? How can I know this? Where can I find these codes if they have any meaning?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well if that does not fit then i do not know what does as i can nothing else with bolt spacing smaller than 74mm.

the codes dont mean anything bar a product number that a shop can order as most bike part manufactures wont sell to the public so need a lbs to order them in for you but postage is a rip off atm if it has to come from Europe.

dzhem

Pedelecer
May 13, 2021
well if that does not fit then i do not know what does as i can nothing else with bolt spacing smaller than 74mm.

the codes dont mean anything bar a product number that a shop can order as most bike part manufactures wont sell to the public so need a lbs to order them in for you but postage is a rip off atm if it has to come from Europe.
so this is not the same as what you suggested on ebay, is it?

Attachments

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
so this is not the same as what you suggested on ebay, is it?
yes that is the one if it is in stock and as you can see the bolt spacing for it to attach to the frame is much closer to what you have.

dzhem

Pedelecer
May 13, 2021
yes that is the one if it is in stock and as you can see the bolt spacing for it to attach to the frame is much closer to what you have.
yes it is in stock now. I live in Dublin. I hope they send it to me. Thanks a lot for your help. The first bike mechanic I went to broke one of the caliper screws while trying to fix it. the other bike mechanic somehow fixed it and created a gap with the dremel but I don't think it's very sturdy so it would make sense for me to buy this adapter and a new caliper-rotor.

• Agree
Reactions: soundwave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

when i broke that i rang every bike shop and no one would touch it as at the time that wheel cost 500 quid but did not have the tools to remove it but found one that would take a look at it.

hammer comes straight out and started to try smash the axle out the wrong way and had to step in and basically use there tools and help to lever the fkn thing off the axle as the bearings was a gray mush and took a fkn hour.

i had a new one and was on in 5 mins ;) never been to a lbs since pay peanuts get monkeys

dzhem

Pedelecer
May 13, 2021

when i broke that i rang every bike shop and no one would touch it as at the time that wheel cost 500 quid but did not have the tools to remove it but found one that would take a look at it.

hammer comes straight out and started to try smash the axle out the wrong way and had to step in and basically use there tools and help to lever the fkn thing off the axle as the bearings was a gray mush and took a fkn hour.

i had a new one and was on in 5 mins ;) never been to a lbs since pay peanuts get monkeys
Although I can't fully understand you because my English is bad, it's true that these things are a bottomless pit. We don't know who we can trust and who we can't. I am an immigrant living in Ireland. maybe that's why it's hard to find something by trial and error and constantly spend money like you. But if I want it, I have to. It is really enjoyable to benefit from your experience and learn something. I hope I don't experience the treatment that the first bike mechanic I went to treated me and another fraud story that I can't tell here. :D

In the meantime, was it a mistake to think that buying a giant brand bike would help me a bit, be of better quality and meet the standards? I can't understand why I'm having trouble. I just wanted to have a good electric bike.

• :D
Reactions: soundwave

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Although I can't fully understand you because my English is bad, it's true that these things are a bottomless pit. We don't know who we can trust and who we can't. I am an immigrant living in Ireland. maybe that's why it's hard to find something by trial and error and constantly spend money like you. But if I want it, I have to. It is really enjoyable to benefit from your experience and learn something. I hope I don't experience the treatment that the first bike mechanic I went to treated me and another fraud story that I can't tell here. :D

In the meantime, was it a mistake to think that buying a giant brand bike would help me a bit, be of better quality and meet the standards? I can't understand why I'm having trouble. I just wanted to have a good electric bike.
You're making the problem much bigger than it is. A 160mm disc will have it's outer edge 10mm further out, so you need to lift the caliper about 12mm from it's present position. The simplest and cheapest solution is to buy a packed of M6 washers and put a load of them between the caliper and the frame until the caliper is in the right position. M6 washers are normally 1.6mm thick, so you'll need 7 or 8 on each bolt. A packet of 20 should sort it.

Obviously, you'll need longer bolts to suit. If you want them quick, you can get the washers and bolts from your local Screwfix or whatever equivalent you have where you live.

Last edited:

dzhem

Pedelecer
May 13, 2021
You're making the problem much bigger than it is. A 160mm disc will have it's outer edge 10mm further out, so you need to lift the caliper about 12mm from it's present position. The simplest and cheapest solution is to buy a packed of M6 washers and put a load of them between the caliper and the frame until the caliper is in the right position. M6 washers are normally 1.6mm thick, so you'll need 7 or 8 on each bolt. A packet of 20 should sort it.

Obviously, you'll need longer bolts to suit. If you want them quick, you can get the washers and bolts from your local Screwfix or whatever equivalent you have where you live.
Thank you for your recommendation. Although it is a method that does not appeal to me, the problem is solved for now. so i don't want to touch it until i have problems but i will try these suggestions in next step.

(When I saw how different standards there were, I got a little cold from this job. I can't even ride my bike as long as I want because I am constantly afraid of trouble.)

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
This thread is a few months old but I seem to have the same issue.
I have just converted my 2020 Specialized Crosstrail and my last issue is the rear brake disc. As the calliper was rubbing on the rear hub motor, I have fitted a 180mm disc. The problem is I cannot find an adapter plate to fit my mounting bolts which are just under 40mm apart and not the standard 68mm. Is it a load of washers or file down the calliper to avoid the disc. Neither option I like the sound of?
9E3EA765-F68C-4A0B-80C3-E5AF526839D6.jpeg
I know my wheel need turning around for the cable exit to point downwards. Not a finished job yet!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I would re-install the 160mm rotor and use a few washers on the M5 caliper bolts to clear the motor casing.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
  • Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With a 160 rotor, would a calliper still foul the hub casing ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The issue with flat mount is they are designed for road bike so lighter weight stuff, 140 is std with the option for 160 increase.
Ideally for such a bike a smaller diameter hub motor like an akm 100 or 128 is better as the designation reflects the motor size, the larger bafang big boy motors are usually 160mm and too large for the bike in question.

For my most recent conversion my Bafang G370 geared hub motor is the same size as my alfine 8 hub gears

Neil5403

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2017
Staffs, England ST15
It came standard with a 140 to 160 adapter and a 160 disc. I have put the 160mm disc back on and the motor hub was fouling so I have packed the calliper adapter plate up with 2 pairs of washers , top and bottom and that seems to work. Need to get some black coloured washers and bolts to blend in better. Hopefully that has done the trick.
F9CB7421-5DCB-46E2-92D4-86F405694A08.jpeg

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
It came standard with a 140 to 160 adapter and a 160 disc. I have put the 160mm disc back on and the motor hub was fouling so I have packed the calliper adapter plate up with 2 pairs of washers , top and bottom and that seems to work. Need to get some black coloured washers and bolts to blend in better. Hopefully that has done the trick.
View attachment 44785
Paint them with black Hammerite. I’ve dabbed all my metal bolt heads to prevent rust.