Thoughts on a Votani bike; anyone heard of the brand? - plus the search for a decent step through!

RDA

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 5, 2022
Hello - I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this bike - https://www.cycleking.co.uk/attributes/specification/votani-x1-700c-wheel-electric-bike-white-mid-drive__4376
It's a Votani, I have never heard of it before but it's sold by a local bike shop. Any thoughts on the brand or the specs? Any info would be gratefully received.
I am searching for a Dutch style step-through, but most seem to be small or flowery (for the ladies of course, that's what we want isn't it?!). I love the electric bikes made by Cortina, but they don't export to the UK any longer, good old Brexit :(
Thanks in advance.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The bike uses Bafang (China) mid drive similar to the ones used by Bosh and Yamaha etc, the electrics should be pretty good as Bafang are by far the largest motor manufacturer in the world.
I'm guessing it is a torque sensing mid drive with canbus electrics ? If it goes wrong you certainly will need dealer help. Bafang like their cometitors are upping their game and the midrive oem stuff is progressing to canbus anti tamper stuff.

Component wise they are run of the mill parts one will find on most bikes.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Looks sensible for what it is. Components such as Tektro V brakes would be considered a bit basic at its full price of £1999, and maybe even at £1395. Bafang mid-drive is sensible, much more serviceable than the Bosch equivalent and cheaper battery replacement.

I don't believe the 36aH battery (even thought they say it twice); it's probably 36v, and you need to query the shop what its capacity really is. https://www.matrabike.nl/product/5470/votani-x1-plus-mm suggest 468wh for the X1 plus, which seems likely.

A sensible alternative is https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana3
Also maybe Raleigh Motus step through, but I think that is a bit more expensive.

RDA

Aug 5, 2022
The bike uses Bafang (China) mid drive similar ot the ones used by Bosh and Yamaha etc, the electrics shoul dbe pretty good as Bafang are by far the largest motor manufacturer in the world.
Thanks, I recognise Bafang as having a good reputation. Was just a bit unsure as I've never heard of Votani the brand and there's very little I've found on them while Goggling!

RDA

Aug 5, 2022
Looks sensible for what it is. Components such as Tektro V brakes would be considered a bit basic at its full price of £1999, and maybe even at £1395. Bafang mid-drive is sensible, much more serviceable than the Bosch equivalent and cheaper battery replacement.

I don't believe the 36aH battery (even thought they say it twice); it's probably 36v, and you need to query the shop what its capacity really is. https://www.matrabike.nl/product/5470/votani-x1-plus-mm suggest 468wh, which seems likely.

A sensible alternative is https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana3
Also maybe Raleigh Motus step through, but I think that is a bit more expensive.
Thanks for this reply. I have been on this website many times and never seen it for more than £1395. I'll look again at the battery capacity. And re. Woosh bikes - they seem to be recommended a LOT on here! Do they sponsor the page??!! :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Woosh is a forum sponsor, the reason they are mentioned a lot is like Wisper they give very good CS and repairs/parts back up.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and sjpt

RDA

Aug 5, 2022
Thanks for this reply. I have been on this website many times and never seen it for more than £1395. I'll look again at the battery capacity. And re. Woosh bikes - they seem to be recommended a LOT on here! Do they sponsor the page??!! :)
Jut found this from a Dutch website which seems to suggest it is indeed 36 Volts - 'The Votani X1 Plus MM is an electric bicycle equipped with a powerful 250 W mid-motor, which ensures an optimal cycling experience. In addition, the bike has a 36v/13 Ah battery so that you always have enough range for a longer bike ride.'

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Battery wise one would expect about 13ah.
Votani are a Dutch bike brand and like many EU brands one that is n;t known much about.

RDA

Aug 5, 2022
Woosh is a forum sponsor, the reason they are mentioned a lot is like Wisper they give very good CS and repairs/parts back up.
Ah OK. Yes, I notice Wisper are recommended a lot too. Thank you for the info. The thing that puts me off slightly is that I am up in the East Midlands and the Wisper and Woosh HQs are far away. Wondered if it was better to buy from a local dealer or shop.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Woosh are indeed mainly an online reatailer with just the Southend shop, Wipser though 7oaks based have many dealers around the country so one should be able to find one not to far away.

Last edited:
Reactions: RDA