Thoughts on Carrera Crossfire-E

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
However it looks like in future if I have to get a new tube then it's up to Halfords for them to remove the rear wheel for the job to be done.
It was a bit of a mission, but I managed to change tubes and tyres without totally removing the motored wheel. Undo the wheel-nuts and slip them both in past the nut on whichever side is easiest. Then you can feed it onto the rim.

Take pics before you start. Then you'll know what goes where, when you reassemble it. :)

DSC00412.JPG DSC00419.JPG DSC00420.JPG DSC00421.JPG DSC00423.JPG DSC00426.JPG DSC00427.JPG DSC00430.JPG DSC00433.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: D8ve and Artmuzz

Artmuzz

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2016
Scotland
It was a bit of a mission, but I managed to change tubes and tyres without totally removing the motored wheel. Undo the wheel-nuts and slip them both in past the nut on whichever side is easiest. Then you can feed it onto the rim.

Take pics before you start. Then you'll know what goes where, when you reassemble it. :)

View attachment 17039 View attachment 17040 View attachment 17041 View attachment 17042 View attachment 17043 View attachment 17044 View attachment 17045 View attachment 17046 View attachment 17047
Thanks for that bit of advise but I am not sure if the wire going to the rear wheel will be long enough but I will try it and see.

Do you know what size of tools I need to untighten the nuts on the rear wheel?

Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Thanks for that bit of advise but I am not sure if the wire going to the rear wheel will be long enough but I will try it and see.

Do you know what size of tools I need to untighten the nuts on the rear wheel?
Unless unattached, my wire is very short too, just enough to lift it out a bit and squeeze a tyre past it. I just grabbed spanners from my toolbox until one fitted. Good luck and don't forget the pics. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: D8ve

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
Whilst you are at it, change the rear tyre for a Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyre - it will reduce the likelihood of having to fix a puncture out on the road.

I decided to replace both tyres after my rear wheel puncture - I was lucky in that it was a slow puncture and I had enough CO2 to get me home - but no way I could have fixed it at the road side.

15mm Spanner needed for rear nuts IIRC (or was it 14?).

You also need some snips to cut off old cable ties and new cable ties to replace the ones you snip off.

• Useful

mcozzy

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2016
Bugger I had no assist when leaving work tonight in the rain. There is a new rubbing noise coming from the crank area, sounds like something has come loose. Will investigate tomorrow once its light.

UPDATE
Nothing obvious wrong, took the plastic battery thing apart covering the electronics, all wires seem good. Panel comes on, the walking assist works. All the screws were loose inside though, the 2 holding the battery prongs on was especially loose, so that maybe accounts for the cutouts.
I suspect the torque sensor & am dropping it into halfords tomorrow. I dont hold out much hope to be honest.

Last edited:

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
Having been in discussions with Halfords customer services, my Crossfire-e is going to be sent off to the "Manufacturers" for testing and fault finding. It has now cut out on me 9 times in two months.
I'm going to be without it for "2-3 weeks" - no courtesy bike will be supplied.
I will update the thread once I have an update.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Just found that Halfords are now selling the official spare battery and charger for the crossfire-e, £350 for the battery and £36 for the charger...all we need now is a 10% flash sale and pickup from store present your British Cycling membership for another 10%, that'll bring the battery down to an acceptable £270

Battery
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/electric-bikes/suntour-battery-pack-ebba-16-ph3612dta-gy

Charger
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/electric-bikes/suntour-battery-charger-ebbc16-ph3602b

• Informative

mcozzy

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2016
Charger isnt too bad, battery is dear though, but I guess thats too be expected. Personally I think the existing battery will outlast the rest of the bike!
It seems impossible to buy hesc suntour bits anywhere, google shows up absolutely nothing which I find a real concern to be at the mercy of halfords.

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
Yes. Just press and hold the "i" key for around 6 seconds to toggle between KMH and MPH.

Enjoy the bike when it arrives!

• Useful

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Charger isnt too bad, battery is dear though, but I guess thats too be expected. Personally I think the existing battery will outlast the rest of the bike!
It seems impossible to buy hesc suntour bits anywhere, google shows up absolutely nothing which I find a real concern to be at the mercy of halfords.
Hesc bits? Suntour tend to do standard components that are upgraded from eBay.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
That battery is a bargain compared to replaced Bosch ones.

mcozzy

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2016
Well I got my faulty bike back from halfords today, they had it 3 weeks or so whilst it was sent away. It looks like the rear hub motor has been swapped out and also the front chainring/sensor.
I cant fault them really as I didnt have any proof of purchase, although a failed motor at 1000km isnt great. Fingers crossed it doesnt pack up again.

Deaks66

Just Joined
Feb 17, 2017
St Albans
Sorry to jump in on this but would this bike be any good for towing 2 small children in a trailer up a fairly steep hill? Have posted my own thread but thought I might get a quick answer here

Jack.Mackenzie

Just Joined
Feb 19, 2017
United Kingdom
I absolutley love this bike to bits, but recently I have noticed a strange jolt happening when I am in 8th gear, it happens every few revolutions, I have inspected the derailleur, the rear wheel and crank but cannot gind anythinh adrift.

Has anyone else had this issue or even a sinilar issue with another bike?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I absolutley love this bike to bits, but recently I have noticed a strange jolt happening when I am in 8th gear, it happens every few revolutions, I have inspected the derailleur, the rear wheel and crank but cannot gind anythinh adrift.

Check the chain. 8th is a tight bend.

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
Ditto the chain, it maybe that the rear cassette being new with it being tight bend the chain catching the tooth profile now and again, it may settle as it wears. Check alignment of derailleur very precisicely it'll only need a slight amount off to be able to lift the chain up the tooth before load comes on and drops it back down.

• Informative
D

Deleted member 4366

Most likely rear derailleur adjustment. I wouldn't trust Halfords to get that right. have a look at the various Youtube videos of how to do it.

• Useful

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
It could also be a couple of links in the chain stuck together. Try wiggling every link joint and see if any are fused. If they are and it's not too bad, apply oil and leave a while and then try again.

This only happens in the higher gears where the chain has to complete a smaller circle to get round the cogs.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK

I get the same on my Crossfire-e, just in 8th gear. I need to look closely at the derailleur to check alignment.

On a different note, I've been trouble free since getting the bike last August until 2 weeks ago, snapped a spoke on the rear wheel just inside the spoke nipple. Replaced it, and then on Saturday, snapped 2 more withing an hour whilst out on a ride (both snapped just inside the nipple as before)...any ideas why ? I've been just running the lowest assistance (25%) at the time of it breaking. For info these are 13g spokes with 4mm nipples (tillercycles.co.uk)

cheers