Thoughts on luggage

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
Before you all get excited about holidays and travelling somewhere less windy with a bit more useful sun im talking about cycle luggage!! Wait please stay...

I cant decide whether to go down the top box ABS route or pannier bags. Who has what and what do you think of yours? I want something waterproof so if i went down the pannier bag route i would be looking somewhere close to £100.

I like the idea of ABS as the only weak points are the zips or the mouth points and it can be easily cleaned.

I would like to put in there some shoes, trousers, folder, maybe a lock and thats about it really.

Thoughts

I like the top box idea as you can get them with locks built in.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I have a pannier rack and two waterproof panniers. I used them throughout the winter. There are columns on my cycle log spreadsheet to log the extra weight of the pannier rack and panniers, clothes, food, computer, tools ... which I will be delighted to share with you. Simple PM me your google email address.
Since I now have a locker at work I now travel light. No pannier rack. (I wear a Gillet which has deep inside pockets into which I can pop my smalls. The extra padding can be useful for those times when I fall off. I'm often to be heard exclaiming "saved by the whites" ...

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
ha ha @ fatboytrig

Thanks Alan ill pm you now. Does anyone have a ABS box? Or just a plastic box?

Bob_about

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2009
Warks/Glos Border
I was looking at this when I first started and initially thought I wanted something strong, waterproof and lockable so bought one of these Bicycle Panniers / Bike Bags

They meet that criteria, but are a bit of a pain going through constrictions on footpaths, cyclebridges etc as they stick out quite a bit - they are also a bit of a pain if you leave them on the bike (I adapted the fastenings with securing screws from the inside) in cycle racks as they can get a bit tangled with other peoples handlebars - I have therefore removed them and put them on my wifes unpowered bike for shopping!!

I then moved to a Velopod from cannondale Cannondale Cypod Pannier Bag 6B525 2006 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com which sadly now appears unavailable - sadly cos its great and I use it everyday - its got an integrated raincover and is capable of carying my small laptop plus other essentials, with a clean shirt rolled up on top.

However, I still wanted something waterprrof which I could leave locked onto the bike and forget about to hold my repair kit, spare inner tube, tyre levers, pump, hand wipes, first ad kit and adjustable spanner etc.

For this I have chosen a smaller Peli Case, adapted it myself with some pannier clips which have securing bolts below to prevent removal and secluded cable ties below to hold fast. I keep it "locked" shut with a couple of cable ties and in over a year have never had it tampered with despite the fact it could be opened comparatively easily if someone wanted to - total value of the contents is less than £50 so I`m comfortable leaving it on the bike at all times - not been of since I set it up. Completely waterproof and apparently crushproof as well!

Hope the above is of interest

Bob_about

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
Before you all get excited about holidays and travelling somewhere less windy with a bit more useful sun im talking about cycle luggage!! Wait please stay...

I cant decide whether to go down the top box ABS route or pannier bags. Who has what and what do you think of yours? I want something waterproof so if i went down the pannier bag route i would be looking somewhere close to £100.

I like the idea of ABS as the only weak points are the zips or the mouth points and it can be easily cleaned.

I would like to put in there some shoes, trousers, folder, maybe a lock and thats about it really.

Thoughts

I like the top box idea as you can get them with locks built in.
have a look at this,works well for me.....

Knog Dutch Dog Panniers : Bikes | Mountain Bikes | Road Bikes| Winstanleys

on the bike
YouTube - ‪20 mile bike ride‬‏

regards

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Great idea! I'm looking at all types of Panniers right now - so thanks for the heads up!

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
I use Ortileb panniers but my electric bike has not arrived yet and so I do not know how they will fit.

Ortileb panniers are top class bags and my gear always stays dry.

The problem with plastic boxes is that I have found they make a lot of noise.

Steve

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Apart from the Knogg Dutch Dog Panniers (which are out of stock on the link above) I don't like the 'look' of any of the panniers. I don't even like the so called funky flowery ones. I don't want to have spent money on a lovely looking bike then cover it up with ugly luggage storage.

In my mind I want plain purple panniers - that are not too wide/fat nor too long - perhaps with a little bit of different colour on them. Do such things exist I wonder....

I've also looked at baskets for the back. Again, nothing really appeals.

What are the negatives for baskets on the back vs. panniers. I'm talking shop bought ones - I'm not handy enough to do DIY

EDIT: I DO like the Panniers in the photo on the first post of Kitchenman's thread (thread called: A chance encounter with a Raleigh something!). They are lovely looking. Anyone any idea whose logo on the panniers it could be?

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
I remember

I have just remembered that I was looking for some hard lockable pannier boxes for my street bike but could not find any at a price I was willing to pay. Theyall seemed a bit pricey.

My local DIY store was having a sale and I bought 2 plastic toolboxes and made my own for a fraction of the price. They are at home in my shed and when I get home I will take some photos and post them. It may inspire someone.

I now use my Ortilebs. They were not cheap but I cannot fault them. After 2 years of being kicked about they are still as good as new.

Steve

DBCohen

Pedelecer
May 2, 2007
Manchester

A cheap eBay pannier bag set and either bin bags or rucksack liners are just as waterproof as the expensive ones, Jon - that's the way I went. I got lightweight nylon bags in dayglo colours, and they come off the bike easily at my destination.