Throttle Alternatives ?

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Hello Again,

Im back with another problematic problem that is just creating even bigger problems.

The problem is, as Ive discovered, is that I cant handle these half twist throttles without it causing me physical problems because of pressure required to hold it there - which just tends to weaken my hand.

From what I see , there really isnt any alternative im aware of that deals with this other than adapting it myself, but I wanted to ask here first, to see if there was , or if theres any one else whose dealt with a similar thing ?

thanks,

tepol

Last edited:

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Hi everyone ,

What do you think about trying to using a handlebar extender clamped onto the throttle ?

I have this one I bought last year for my downtube , but the diameter of the hole is a bit too narrow given it is meant for 25.4 mm handlebar not the 32 mm on my throttle.

Ive also seen this one , but it looks like its too narrow too ,are there any others like this that might possibly work for something over 25.4 mm ?

thanks for your suggestions,

tepol

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Hello Again,

Im back with another problematic problem that is just creating even bigger problems.

The problem is, as Ive discovered, is that I cant handle these half twist throttles without it causing me physical problems because of pressure required to hold it there - which just tends to weaken my hand.

From what I see , there really isnt any alternative im aware of that deals with this other than adapting it myself, but I wanted to ask here first, to see if there was , or if theres any one else whose dealt with a similar thing ?

thanks,

tepol
My brother has a problem with the pedal sensor on his fast4ward and is riding on throttle only at the moment. He has asked me if he can fixed the throttle on to save him having to hold in on all the time ... obviously, the solution is to fix the pedal sensor, but it would be nice to have a solution in the meantime ...

Last edited:

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
You can just use a push button from somewhere like maplins.
That way you can use it as a push on and off switch. As all the throttle is opens and closes the signal at something like 0.4v up to 5v (5v for full throttle).

Would be best if you have the brake cut outs fitted though...

some controllers come with a cruis function which allows the bike to have the throttle opened and then after 5 seconds it continues to hold the throttle for you. Either use your brake cut out to cancel it or twist the throttle again.

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
You can just use a push button from somewhere like maplins.
That way you can use it as a push on and off switch. As all the throttle is opens and closes the signal at something like 0.4v up to 5v (5v for full throttle).

Would be best if you have the brake cut outs fitted though...

some controllers come with a cruis function which allows the bike to have the throttle opened and then after 5 seconds it continues to hold the throttle for you. Either use your brake cut out to cancel it or twist the throttle again.

It would really depend on the design of the thumb throttle, if it was too far away like this one ,then theres really no way my hand or thumb would cope period

http://ca.itselectric.ca/v/vspfiles/photos/throttle-right-thumbthrottle-1.jpg

However if the design was more like this one ..

http://us.itselectric.ca/v/vspfiles/assets/images/right%20thumb.png

Where I could just palm it down ,there would be more hope - at least for 5- 7 seconds needed before the cruise kicked in.

tepol

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I imagine that the strong springs in e-bike throttles (compared to motor bikes) are a result of USA product liability laws. True there is more danger of switching on with the throttle open, unlike a petrol engine which has to be started first.
Has anyone tried using ordinary sports friction tape like that used on bat handles etc?

tepol

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
I imagine that the strong springs in e-bike throttles (compared to motor bikes) are a result of USA product liability laws. True there is more danger of switching on with the throttle open, unlike a petrol engine which has to be started first.
Has anyone tried using ordinary sports friction tape like that used on bat handles etc?
What about just reducing the number of twists or tempering the metal itself ?

tepol

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
If its a half grip you could move the throttle over to the right (Presuming its on the right handle bar) and then with the remainder half grip put it up next to the throttle to pinch it slightly. This way as you open it it would hold open.

Crude way of doing it but it might be a cheap alternative before you start changing or hacking parts...

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Majority of cruise controls on ebikes are quite crude by fixing the throttle at a certain percentage between the closed position and the fully open 5v signal.

I cruise control on say a car usually keeps you at the same speed up or down hills etc. However it's far more of a fixed position on and electric bike.