Throttle & Angina

RotharMor

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 22, 2021
Ive been using an Oxygen Emate city bike for 6 yrs. I am active with health issues including Angina in a narrow artery which is inoperable. Over decades I've learned how to live with this problem.
But my Emate packed up - I took it on trails etc which it was not built for and I put 1000s miles on that bike.
I tried a Forme Curbar HTE Pro and loss of the throttle made it difficult and I had to stop at one time. Motors & torque is a complicated business.
Basically I need power when I am least able to pedal hard - therefore the PAS on the Curbar was not abling me as I expected.
Has anyone any ideas to help me back onto the saddle.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Ive been using an Oxygen Emate city bike for 6 yrs. I am active with health issues including Angina in a narrow artery which is inoperable. Over decades I've learned how to live with this problem.
But my Emate packed up - I took it on trails etc which it was not built for and I put 1000s miles on that bike.
I tried a Forme Curbar HTE Pro and loss of the throttle made it difficult and I had to stop at one time. Motors & torque is a complicated business.
Basically I need power when I am least able to pedal hard - therefore the PAS on the Curbar was not abling me as I expected.
Has anyone any ideas to help me back onto the saddle.
What's wrong with your Oxygen? It has all standard parts, so is easily repairable for everything but a broken frame.

Where do you live?

It is possible to fit a throttle to your bike, but it requires a special cable and (i believe) a special throttle, which I have seen on Aliexpress a while ago.

Here they are:

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I have severe Atrial Fibrillation. Keep having varying procedures to cure it, which work for a while. Then it inevitably returns... Shortness of breath, tiredness, fatigue. (walking up stairs can be a fecking strain)
But the one thing that has kept me mobile, out and entertained is Haibike in highest setting... Find its as helpful as Daughters cube with a throttle (well a lever to over ride PA)
If I can spin pedals I can get out on it. Tried a few others but I, ve found nothing that can compete with it when I, m having a bad AF episode..(I do think crank drive is beneficial with this, the low gearing available for me and motor means it keeps going with minimal input)
But good luck with whatever you chose.
If you are ever near Lady Bower reservoir Derbyshire have a go on mine.

Reactions: Tony1951

RotharMor

Sep 22, 2021
I have severe Atrial Fibrillation. Keep having varying procedures to cure it, which work for a while. Then it inevitably returns... Shortness of breath, tiredness, fatigue. (walking up stairs can be a fecking strain)
But the one thing that has kept me mobile, out and entertained is Haibike in highest setting... Find its as helpful as Daughters cube with a throttle (well a lever to over ride PA)
If I can spin pedals I can get out on it. Tried a few others but I, ve found nothing that can compete with it when I, m having a bad AF episode..(I do think crank drive is beneficial with this, the low gearing available for me and motor means it keeps going with minimal input)
But good luck with whatever you chose.
If you are ever near Lady Bower reservoir Derbyshire have a go on mine.
Thanks for that. I'm looking at Oxygen again so I will let you know how it goes.

Reactions: Zlatan

RotharMor

Sep 22, 2021
Just bought a Wisper H7 Wayfarer. It has a Throttle! Thats the main reason I bought it & the throttle & the hub motor allow me to comfortably go up even the steepest drumlin in County Down. Early days but I have great faith in this motor /throttle set up after just a few miles. I also like the slung back handlebar set-up.
However the front brake does not work! Nothing!Zilch!Zero!
I had to transport it sideways in back of my estate car before I rode it & this may be the problem!
I am not at home so I have not been able to look at the brake issue for a few days. And - the saddle is very uncomfortable and I have replaced it with my comfy Oxygen Emate saddle.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One can try pumping the lever many times or tie the lever so that it is pulled on, then possibly any air in the system may travel back up over night. An elastic band or a bit of string will do.

If no luck it will need bleeding. If you have ever bled car brakes a bike is no different.

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Just bought a Wisper H7 Wayfarer. It has a Throttle! Thats the main reason I bought it & the throttle & the hub motor allow me to comfortably go up even the steepest drumlin in County Down. Early days but I have great faith in this motor /throttle set up after just a few miles. I also like the slung back handlebar set-up.
However the front brake does not work! Nothing!Zilch!Zero!
I had to transport it sideways in back of my estate car before I rode it & this may be the problem!
I am not at home so I have not been able to look at the brake issue for a few days. And - the saddle is very uncomfortable and I have replaced it with my comfy Oxygen Emate saddle.
Please contact Adrian in Wisper Support support@wisperbikes.com he will help you resolve the brake issue. All the best, David