Throttle lost its springosity. Acting strange

crE

Pedelecer
Aug 29, 2014
Hi all, Woosh Big Bear rider here.

Riding to work today I noticed my handlebars were a little loose so I pulled over and tightened them up.

After which my throttle has lost a bit of its springiness. When I engage the throttle (pulling it towards me) it still works fine, but doesn't feel the same and it doesn't snap all the way back into position.

Also, when I push the throttle away from me all the way, it engages slightly and the motor seems to receive about 10%-20% power. Which can be quite dangerous if standing still at traffic lights and I apply some pressure forwards on accident.

Basically, my question is, is this an easy fix? How would I go about rectifying this issue?

crE :)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the throttle is easy to unplug and to remove, if I remember correctly, with a 2.5mm allen key. The mechanical spring load throttle moves a magnet. put a bit of grease around the moving part should do it.

crE

Pedelecer
Aug 29, 2014
the throttle is easy to unplug and to remove, if I remember correctly, with a 2.5mm allen key. The mechanical spring load throttle moves a magnet. put a bit of grease around the moving part should do it.
Thanks Trex, once again!

I will give it a go tonight

D

Deleted member 4366

If it gives power when you push it beyond the zero stop, you've damaged it, and it'll need replacing.

To give zero throttle, the low-throttle magnet has to be immediately adjacent to the sensor inside. If you take both magnets away completely, you get 50% throttle. The magnet pulls the signal down to zero. The stops are only plastic. If you overload them, the they break and allow the low-throttle magnet to go past the sensor, so you get power up to 50%, depending how far it can go. There's no repair unless you want to build a new stop out of epoxy. You need a new throttle, which shouldn't cost much from Woosh.

crE

Pedelecer
Aug 29, 2014
Darn!

Strange that its damaged. I didn't apply any excessive pressure to it when tightening the handlebar. Bike has never been dropped or bashed (yet!).

I'll contact Andy at Woosh and see how much they are.

Will probably wait until after Christmas when funds have been replenished. Thanks all.

D

Deleted member 4366

It doesn't take much force to damage them. That's why I prefer a thumb throttle because there's no force on it when you're man-handling the bike.