Help! Throttle problem electric bike

Michael Love

Pedelecer
Aug 26, 2018
You put meter to the number 20 top left, or pointing NorthWest.
You put the black wire to black wire and red wire to one of the other wires. You must have throttle connected and power turned on btw.
When you operate throttle you should see number rising on the meter. If the number is pretty static, try one of the other wires.
Here's a throttle on my controller.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brocky19

Brocky19

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2019
You put the black wire to black wire and red wire to one of the other wires. You must have throttle connected btw.
When you operate throttle you should see number rising on the meter. If the number is pretty static, try one of the other wires.
Me and electrics no good haha I’m a real newb at this

Brocky19

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2019
You put the black wire to black wire and red wire to one of the other wires. You must have throttle connected and power turned on btw.
Here's a throttle on my controller.
I did this and nothing so does mean my censor has gone ?

Michael Love

Pedelecer
Aug 26, 2018
I did this and nothing so does mean my censor has gone ?
With the power on and the meter dial in the same place, pointing towards NW, if you put black meter wire to black throttle wire and red to red, do you get a reading of approx 5, that says there is 5V feeding the throttle, which unless your bike is different to mine, is good.

Also, It could mean your throttle is shorted out with water.
Can you put it on a radiator for a couple days with any holes on it pointing upwards to let water vapour out, and then test again?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
To test throttle find the connector and poke your Black probe in to rear of the Black a Red Probe in to rear of Red you will see 5v with the battery on.
Next place the Red probe in to the back of the signal which is Blue or Orange /one is signal and one is lock. You should see 1v with the signal wire.
Then operate the throttle with probes still in Black and signal, you should see 4 - 5v with throttle open.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Firstly, the connector isn't properly pushed together. You might want to sort that first. Maybe it'll solve your problem.

If it doesn't, set your meter to 200v DC (11 O'clock) stick the black probe up the back of the the bullet connector on the thick black battery wire. Make sure it's making good contact with the metal You need to go in through the opposite side to what you show in your photo to make contact. With the throttle connector connected, stick your red probe in each of the locations where the wires come out of the connector on the throttle side. Pull off that hot-melt glue first. If you look in there, you should be able to see the metal that you need to connect with.

You should get:
Red 5V
Green 36v (approx)
Black 0v
White 1v

If they're all correct, you should see the white one increase to 4v when you open the throttle.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
That ebike tester is good for other problems, but it won't be able to help with your one.
Not true, there is actually a specific test for throttles built in to the one a good friend of mine has! He reckons that excepting for the physical "placing" of the indicator LEDs, the Testers are all as good as identical otherwise!
So I would guess, as he has been using such units for some time now, that they all have it as it is probably the simplest test of all to make!
As a throttle is simply a variable resistor! Nothing more, nothing less!
So please check this picture out of his instructions, which is just a part of just one side of the instructions for such a tester. It shows you exactly how to check a throttle resistance out.
Perfect for newbies without a meter or ones with, but lacking the knowledge on how to use it!!
Look in the upper RH corner of the picture!
E-Bike Tester 17.jpg
You may have to download the picture (its 16 Mb Pixels, full detail is there!) to actually read the instructions, depending on what device you use to access Pedelec of course.
Maybe you should buy one yourself to speed up the work load?
Andy
PS. If anyone wishes, I can make some quality pictures of both sides of the instruction sheet, which will give you all a good idea of how to use it and whether you wish to buy one for yourself!
They are well under 10 UK pounds on ebay, though you might have to wait a week or two from China, or buy one from a supplier in the UK, and get it fast, but pay a bit more (between 10 and 20 UK Pounds) and have a guarantee as well....
Here you can check out the prices of UK based ebay sellers of such units and their products:-
Here is a seller, with a different sheet, but if you use the ebay magnifier, you will see the throttle test, middle to low on the RH side, again!
Enjoy!
Andy
PPS. Just adding the other side of that Document for anyone interested:-
E-Bike Tester 2.jpg

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Not true, there is actually a specific test for throttles built in to the one a good friend of mine has! He reckons that excepting for the physical "placing" of the indicator LEDs, the Testers are all as good as identical otherwise!
So I would guess, as he has been using such units for some time now, that they all have it as it is probably the simplest test of all to make!
So please check this picture out of his instructions, which is just a part of just one side of the instructions for such a tester. It shows you exactly how to check a throttle resistance out.
Perfect for newbies without a meter or ones with, but lacking the knowledge on how to use it!!
View attachment 33174
You may have to download the picture (its 16 Mb Pixels, full detail is there!) to actually read the instructions, depending on what device you use to access Pedelec of course.
Andy
PS. If anyone wishes, I can make some quality pictures of both sides of the instruction sheet, which will give you all a good idea of how to use it and whether you wish to buy one for yourself!
They are well under 10 UK pounds on ebay, though you might have to wait a week or two from China, or buy one from a supplier in the UK, and get it fast, but pay a bit more (between 10 and 20 UK Pounds) and have a guarantee as well....
Here you can check out the prices of UK based ebay sellers of such units and their products:-
Here is a seller, with a different sheet, but if you use the ebay magnifier, you will see the throttle test, middle to low on the RH side, again!
Enjoy!
Andy
View attachment 33175
I have three of those meters. I know how they work. OP has a 4 wire throttle and he doesn't know which wire is which, so he couldn't use that meter even if his connector would fit, which it doesn't. Please don't interfere with us trying to help this guy. You're just confusing him with irrelevant stuff.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I have three of those meters. I know how they work. OP has a 4 wire throttle and he doesn't know which wire is which, so he couldn't use that meter even if his connector would fit, which it doesn't. Please don't interfere with us trying to help this guy. You're just confusing him with irrelevant stuff.
...and you are totally unable (up to now anyway) to help him and tell him just how to do it?
Also, please be so kind as to explain why it is irrelevant and confusing for the guy you are "gearing up" to helping - eventually?
Maybe he is really intelligent and catches on fast!
Andy

Brocky19

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2019
Firstly, the connector isn't properly pushed together. You might want to sort that first. Maybe it'll solve your problem.

If it doesn't, set your meter to 200v DC (11 O'clock) stick the black probe up the back of the the bullet connector on the thick black battery wire. Make sure it's making good contact with the metal You need to go in through the opposite side to what you show in your photo to make contact. With the throttle connector connected, stick your red probe in each of the locations where the wires come out of the connector on the throttle side. Pull off that hot-melt glue first. If you look in there, you should be able to see the metal that you need to connect with.

You should get:
Red 5V
Green 36v (approx)
Black 0v
White 1v

If they're all correct, you should see the white one increase to 4v when you open the throttle.
Makes sense thanks

Brocky19

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2019
View attachment 33174
Andy
Enjoy!
Andy
View attachment 33175
I was looking at one of these for the quick fix and stop all bother probing all wires I wish I never washed my bike now haha I took battery out and left the controller in and didn’t even think about my throttle getting wet or it causing a problem just so used to riding a motorbike thought was the same thing with washing it should of researched it before I did thanks for input

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
...and you are totally unable (up to now anyway) to help him and tell him just how to do it?
Also, please be so kind as to explain why it is irrelevant and confusing for the guy you are "gearing up" to helping - eventually?
Maybe he is really intelligent and catches on fast!
Andy
I already told him how to do it in post #31.

Mr Brocky19, I refer to your thumbs up in post #34. I find that offensive. I'll let him sort out your problems then, and maybe the others will too.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: robert44

Brocky19

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2019
So I finally opened up the throttle and a little magnet wasn’t on properly to the wires so bought another hopefully when I re solder new one be working again I’ll post hear if any luck