Throttle to controller connection issue

AshleyBrayson

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Rugby UK
Hi,
I ordered a thumb throttle for my bike and it came with red, green and black wires fitted to a female connector. The only free wires on my controller are red, black and white also fitted to a female connector. I'm assuming that this is the throttle connection? I've tried contacting the bike supplier with no reply. Thank you
Ashley

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Hi,
I ordered a thumb throttle for my bike and it came with red, green and black wires fitted to a female connector. The only free wires on my controller are red, black and white also fitted to a female connector. I'm assuming that this is the throttle connection? I've tried contacting the bike supplier with no reply. Thank you
Ashley
View attachment 32036View attachment 32037
Yes that looks like a throttle input to me. You have a few options here, you can buy a male connector for the throttle with the wires attached and solder it onto the throttle with some heat shrink over it, just make sure to match red to red wires and black to black (green and white are the same thing, they just like to use random colours sometimes). Search jst connector on eBay and you should find what you need, there are a few styles so make sure it matches, also watch out for China sellers if you don't want to wait an age. Another option is just directly solder red to red, black to black and white to green. A third option is to remove the connectors entirely and replace them with whatever you like, automotive crimps you have lying around or whatever. Crimping is a good option if you aren't good with a soldering iron but it's a good skill to learn

Reactions: KirstinS

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Also those throttles are kind of easy to break so it's worth ordering a spare. I recommend the wuxing 130x type that can be had for a few quid on eBay, again it will probably come with the wrong connectors as there is no standard so you really need to figure out how to change them because I've had to chop and change many due to them being wrong, sometimes you have to swap the pins around as the wires are in the wrong order too. Great fun!

EDIT: My mistake that is the type you have, avoid the really cheap ones that have a more rounded thumb pad, they are super flimsy. These can still break if you are holding it all the way in if you hit a bump for example so try not to hold it all the way in if things are getting rough, it should give full power before you push it all the way down anyway

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I always chop these style of connector off and solder directly. They are unreliable I find in daily use in the uk.

If you can't solder , I agree with anon4 , useful skill and not that hard with mimunim outlay. For under 20 quid you can get a half decent soldering iron and solder. Plus you tube tutorials plus a bit of time

Find some old useless charger, wire , electrical cord and get going

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
="KirstinS, post: 519150, member: 5440"]
I always chop these style of connector off and solder directly. They are unreliable I find in daily use in the uk.

If you can't solder , I agree with anon4 , useful skill and not that hard with mimunim outlay. For under 20 quid you can get a half decent soldering iron and solder. Plus you tube tutorials plus a bit of time
I have the gas soldering torch from Aldi, bargain for a tenner! It drinks butane but the stuff is only a pound and not being attached to a cord really helps in ebike repairs imho

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I have the gas soldering torch from Aldi, bargain for a tenner! It drinks butane but the stuff is only a pound and not being attached to a cord really helps in ebike repairs imho
I've had two but keep burning through tips and ca t find replacements

And they are super useful for ebike repairs without messing about with extension cords. At one point my bike was so unreliable and complicated I had the iron and a multimeter in my on road toolkit !

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
I've had two but keep burning through tips and ca t find replacements

And they are super useful for ebike repairs without messing about with extension cords. At one point my bike was so unreliable and complicated I had the iron and a multimeter in my on road toolkit !
I've never carried it but have thought about it after some disasters. I think some butt crimps or bullets and a small crimper and some side cutters would be a more convenient option for roadside, would also work in the wet if you're that unlucky. As for replacement tips haven't needed any but know they're available on eBay if you search gas soldering tips. eBay has everything lol

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Cut the connectors off. red to red, black to black, white to green. Solder and heatshrink. You can use tape, but it looks messy.

There is absolutely no point in buying any connectors. it takes much longer to crimp or solder the pins than it does to solder the wires, and you end up with a less reliable connection.