Thru Axle or Quick Release and Brake Types for Front Hub Drives

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Lots of info on standard bikes but not much on ebikes.

Would love hear opinions from manufacturers, dealers and riders of Front Motor Wheel Hub ebikes.

Pros and Cons & Best Choice for…
1.Thru Axle vs Quick Release
2. Rim, V, Disk, Hydraulic Brakes
3. Dealing with a puncture

FRONT E HUBS ONLY

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Through Axel seems to be taking over from QR, especialy as road bikes are now going for Disc brakes.

I must admit, I always thought the QR Axel was quite weedy, and on my none ebike, I use the QR type skewer that fasten using an Allen key, so not Quick to Release on my bike.

I think for an ebike Through Axel should be deriguer, due to the extra forces involved.

As for QR problems on my none ebike, I have never had any, the simply design works well, and replacement Skewers are easy to find, unlike the Through Axel which has to match the specific frame.

Now there is a challenge for me, find a Bafang Max Drive frame with Through Axel design and Sliding Drop-Out's.

Rohloff offer it's IGH with various Through Axel options, although my existing QR Rohloff can not be upgraded to Through Axel, what a jip, that has just added £1000 to the cost of me getting an ebike!

As for brakes, I would never go back to rim brakes, my Hope Mono Mini's have been on my none ebike since 2004, the stopping power is awesome for such a tiny unit, I run 160mm Rotors front and rear.

I would even consider using the none hydraulic Disc brakes from BB, they get very good reviews, rim brakes on the other hand chew away at your rims, even more so for the hydraulic versions as good as they are.

As for Hub motors, I always assumed that they used some kind of threaded Stub Axel, that a dome nut screwed onto, maybe those who have one could explain more.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Hi Andy88, brakes for a Rohloff, Disc for me every time, although it makes no difference, it's all down to personal choice and the type of bike.

The Disc Rotor for a Rohloff is not standard, with it being a 4 bolt affair, but are widely available.

For an ebike, I would have thought Disc brakes are far better to have than rim brakes, whether they be hydraulic or cable.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Right, I heard that some brakes not compatible with some hubs and can make wheel removal more difficult.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
If you have a front motor then the axle question does not apply as the axle is part of the motor.
I have a 1000W front hub on a steel suspension fork and it originally had cable disc brakes but they were not very efficient so swapped them out for hydraulic brakes and it made a massive difference even though they were only the cheap Clarkes ones.
Never had a puncture but I always carry an aerosol puncture kit.
To replace a tube you would only need to drop the wheel one inch and take it off on the non cable side.
If you use patches you dont have to disturb the wheel at all.

Reactions: Andy88

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Thanks for that, of course as you say on the front motor point, my brain not working today.

The brake info is useful for me and others, well done and thanks.

D

Deleted member 4366

Nearly all hub-motors have axles that are fixed to the drop-outs to provide the torque reaction. To use a through-axle would be tricky because they would need an independent tie bar for the torque reaction and a place to fix it on the fork or chainstay.

I have seen hub-motors with a quick release axle, but only in photos, never on a bike. It seems a bit dodgy to me doing that without a separate tie-bar.

http://www.l-faster.com/items/250w-electric-bike-front-motor-wheel-kit-quick-release/#iLightbox[gallery415]/0

Reactions: Andy88

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I have an Ezee front hub on a Carrera crossfire. Upped the front disc to a 160mm but still the adjuster, for the inner shoe, on the Lyra caliper hides behind the flange of the motor, making adjustment 'tricky'. Still, mech discs front and back work well even downhill with panniers full of shopping. I can see the arguement for front hydraulic disc but my mech's, so far, have been faultless.
Also have a, less often used, steel framed bike with Panda front hub. Fitted a hydraulic Magura HS11 to the front. Very light feel, progressive and powerful braking, impressive. However the wear from rim brakes on an expensive motor wheel do worry me, especially with the long hills around here.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
I have an Ezee front hub on a Carrera crossfire. Upped the front disc to a 160mm but still the adjuster, for the inner shoe, on the Lyra caliper hides behind the flange of the motor, making adjustment 'tricky'. Still, mech discs front and back work well even downhill with panniers full of shopping. I can see the arguement for front hydraulic disc but my mech's, so far, have been faultless.
Also have a, less often used, steel framed bike with Panda front hub. Fitted a hydraulic Magura HS11 to the front. Very light feel, progressive and powerful braking, impressive. However the wear from rim brakes on an expensive motor wheel do worry me, especially with the long hills around here.
Which part of the world are the hills in?

Buying a new bike, which brake system would you opt for?

Do you prefer the ezee front hub over the panda or vice versa?

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
West Wales.
Discs.
The Ezee, whole system is much more powerful and quieter. There is a mod suggested for the Panda controller, involves soldering out a portion of the shunt to up the max current. Yet to get round to it.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
West Wales.
Discs.
The Ezee, whole system is much more powerful and quieter. There is a mod suggested for the Panda controller, involves soldering out a portion of the shunt to up the max current. Yet to get round to it.
Yes, hilly in that neck of the woods but very pretty there, I was born in Llantriscent.

Yes, probably accounts for the price point on the panda.

Probably going to opt for a BPM or G06 motor…