Thule bike rack designed for pedelecs

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
Nice find.
I searched for ages and eventually gave up trying to find a rack to take the weight of my electric bike.

I liked the last bit:
The loading aid will retail at £30. :(

Wow, that's a lot of money for a bit of channel :eek:
That "wallet busting" channel looks a bit flimsy to me and probably won’t last long in the real world.

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
Expensive.. but pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the link Mussels... Good find.

I found a better link (and better price) here... Thule Tow Ball Mounted Cycle Racks ... but you have to scroll down a lot to find the right model.

The buy-now button on their website is broken, but they do have them in stock if you phone up... Mine should be getting delivered on Thursday, so I'll write a review soon :)

Last edited:

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
£15 or £300?

I have a Thule three bike carrier which is not as styish or compact as the version illustrated but use an old "Paddy Hopkirk" scissors action single bike carrier which clamps on to my towbar when only carrying one ebike (battery in the car). I bought it some years ago from a local car/bike parts shop half price for £14.99!

Now that I have seen this two bike carrier I am sorely tempted but, if I succumb, I won't be telling my wife!

Conal

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Hi

This new range of Euro G5 etc racks looks like a makeover of the earlier EuroClassic 903 model which I've been using for a couple of years or more to transport two electric bikes. Originally we loaded up two Powabykes without the SLAs of course but even then, with those weighty front motors, it was still a two man/woman job. Since last summer we've had a couple of Pro Connects and these are a joy to load etc - no need to remove anything and a one man operation. One of the Pro Connects isn't a diamond frame so this one needs one of those extending 'crossbars' to clamp it up on the carrier.

The new G5 series racks are around £100 more than the previous 903 model - altho' the £/euro rate must have made an impact. The 903 had the benefit that the two ends folded onto the central section - making it very compact for strorage.

Fecn - I shall be interested to read about you experience with the new rack eg weight/ease of fitting/ease of loading/stability of the rack when loaded. I like the new tow ball clamping system which looks better than the sideways operated one on the 903. I'd be interested to know if you're fitting it to a flange mounted tow ball - since I see they say that the new range may not be compatible and an ALKO extended tow ball replacement fitting may be required (or is this a way of squeezing another £24.95 out of people - a bit like the £30 loading channel accessory).

Finally, I'd be interested in the stability of the clamped bikes on the curved wheel channels and whether this places additional stress on the top bar clamps to prevent bike movement (not a good idea should I consider changing with one of the bikes not a diamond frame). The 903 has a 'flatbed' sort of channel so once loaded the bikes only need top bar clamping to prevent them falling forwards/backwards.

Regards

Mike

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
With careful research you can usually find a standard bike rack that will carry an electric bike anyway.
It seems very expensive!

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Same here. I have a towebar mounted cycle carrier. they are very cheap and they handle very heavy loads for the price. you just have to have a bar fitted to your car.

Ive got this one sitting in my garage. It carried my two agattus no problem. Dont have a towbar any more so if anyone wants to make me an offer pm me. On hols for a week so dont expect a response till next sat unless you want to get it tomorrow before 12noon. Collection from Coventry!

used once!

Thule 3 Bike Tow Bar Carrier (9403) from Halfords Price £169.99

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
Same here. I have a towebar mounted cycle carrier. they are very cheap and they handle very heavy loads for the price. you just have to have a bar fitted to your car.
I use to have a towbar but have changed cars. Mercedes want nearly £800 to fit one so its cheaper for me to get shot of it and fit a roof carry system. Especially now im non electric and have a lightweight bike.

C

Cyclezee

I use to have a towbar but have changed cars. Mercedes want nearly £800 to fit one so its cheaper for me to get shot of it and fit a roof carry system. Especially now im non electric and have a lightweight bike.
I got a removable Wesphalia towbar and electrics fitted to my Mercedes last year for £350 when I sold my van and bought a trailer. Then I bought a Thule 9503 towbar mounted 3 bike carrier and lock for less than £100. It has a 45Kg load capacity which is adequate for 2 electric bikes with the batteries removed.

J:) hn

Beanie101

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2008
Verbier, Switzerland
I don't have a tow bar and my car isn't suitable for a rear door-mounted carrier, so I got a roof rack and one those hydraulic bike lifts (Atera). It works like a dream, as it should, as it is expensive. But the alternative would be not to be able to take my bike anywhere (or get a hernia trying to lift it onto the roof). I did try the cheaper alternative of a block and tackle arrangement but gave up trying to find suitable places to secure it to.