Thule Europower 916 Cycle Carrier Review

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
Thule released the Eurpower 916 carrier at the start of March - Mussels posted a thread about it, and I decided to take the plunge. I said I'd write a review for it, so here it is...

The cycle rack clamps onto a towbar ball. The clamp feels extremely robust and well made and gives me every confidence that it's going to stay attached. The black plastic bit in the middle of the clamp is a sliding sleeve which pushes down towards the towball to lock the clamp in place. Once it's locked you get a green indicator in the little window and you can then remove the keys.

The instructions say you should check your towball rating and only load up with 60KG of bikes if you have an 80KG towball. It turned out that mine was 210KG, so I reckon it should be plenty strong enough.

The bikes sit on the back in two plastic troughs which keep the wheels aligned. Nylon ratchet clamps lock the wheels into the troughs. The frames of the bikes are held by two clamshell clamps. The clamps can fit anywhere on the support bar and the heads of the clamps swivel round to grip different frame parts. One of clamp locking knobs has a locking mechanism to prevent it being undone, but disappointingly, the shorter clamp arm is not lockable.

I found that loading the bikes was pretty easy. The troughs that the wheels sit in are quite deep and have a tendency to hold the bike upright as soon as you drop it into place. I know that Thule sell a loading ramp for £30, but I'm a big strong lad so didn't bother with it. I don't really see it being much help anyway. The Agattus sure big bikes, but the carrier locked them into place securely enough.

And now for the party-piece.... The whole carrier can fold down to let you open the boot/tailgate. As shipped, the carrier only folds down to 50 degrees, which wasn't enough for my van, but you can move the bolts for the fold-down arms to two alternative holes to allow it to fold all the way down to 70 degrees - Hooray.. I can open the boot.

Well... so far, I like this carrier very much - I haven't actually driven anywhere with it yet as the towbar elecrics aren't quite finished yet, but as long as it down't fall off when I'm driving, I can't see my opinion changing too much.

Conclusion - This carrier is very good, but very expensive.

Reactions: Vennwood

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
I'm impressed by that. We spotted this a few weeks ago, but deemed it too expensive to add to our range, but seeing what it does and how well it does it, might think again.

Is the electric set-up something that could be completed by anyone with common sense and basic tools?

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
I'm impressed by that. We spotted this a few weeks ago, but deemed it too expensive to add to our range, but seeing what it does and how well it does it, might think again.

Is the electric set-up something that could be completed by anyone with common sense and basic tools?
There isn't really any electrical setup to do apart from plugging the big chunky connector into the socket on your towbar.

The only tools you'd need are if you're fitting your own towbar too, in which case it's reckoned to be a 2-hour job with basic tools.... Personally, I got the local garage to fit the towbar.

My wife and I were out enjoying the sunshine today. She did a 6-mile ride to a local picnic spot and I drove the van over with the kids and my bike later on. After lunch, she drove the van back and I cycled in the afternoon sun. - Perfection :)

Grumpy1

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2009
not too sure about the carrier but I love your van! It's like a more sporty version of the mmystery machine from scooby doo.

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
not too sure about the carrier but I love your van! It's like a more sporty version of the mmystery machine from scooby doo.
Thanks Grumpy1. The van is a Jap import Toyota Hiace Regius. It's a 7-seater (complete with swivel seats), Mains Inverter, Fridge/Freezer, Kettle (plus water and coffee), DVD, 2xTVs, Internet etc etc... My friends call it the A-Team van.

It makes a great mobile office when I get to meetings early... and it is also fantastic as a living room when we're off camping.

Grumpy1

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2009
I want one. :D Is it diesel or petrol? front or rear wheel drive? Do you mind me asking how much it set you back? I think I'm in love......:D Did it come loaded with all that gear or is it aftermarket?

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
Mine's a 3 litre turbo diesel, Rear wheel drive. They're available with a 4x4 drivetrain(based on the indestructible Toyota Hilux Surf) and also as a 2.7 litre petrol. I picked up mine a couple of years ago with 30,000km on the clock for £6,500 at a local garage. I've seen them going for £4,500 more recently though.

There's a rather quiet forum dedicated to the Regius at http://www.hiaceregius.co.uk/ where you can find more pics and info.

The fridge/freezer/kettle/inverter etc are all my doing... I built a set of lift-in/out plywood shelving that goes in the back for camping duties and holds two massive 105Ah Lead Acid batteries which hold enough juice to power all the toys for a few days at a time. (Hopefully they're going have enough juice to charge the Agattu batteries in the summer too.) The batteries charge up when the engine's running, but it takes about 4 hours driving for an 70% charge.

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Is this carrier suitable for a couple of Dutch-type bikes? (Juicy Bikes). It would be great to extend our range!
TIA,
Tom
Sorry - trust me to post half a question! The carrier I'm referring to is the Thule 916 - would it manage a couple of JuicyBikes Dutch models? (Down boy - not that sort of model ...) Wish I hadn't started this ...