Thumb throttle

Dave Edwards

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 19, 2014
Hi, I'm getting a new roodog ebike but note the thumb throttle is set to 4mph. My previous bike allowed me to use the throttle to 15mph. How is the speed regulated on the new bike and can this be overridden?. Cheers. Dave

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Dave did you talk to roodog b4 you bought the bike? I got mixed answers from dealers i spoke to, some were happy to include a throttle or how to change the setting whilst others werent so willing. I didnt contact roodog personally

Sent from my vivo V3Max using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 4366

Which Rooog is it? Does it have a LCD display on the handlebars?

Dave Edwards

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 19, 2014
Hi, thanks for your quick response even on Boxing Day. It is the Polka dot bike and yes it does have the LCD display on the handle bars. I'd didn't ask Roodog as I thought they would reluctant to pass this information on. Unfortunately I am away at the moment so so not have the bike to hand to check the two wires John refers too. Cheers. Dave

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
I git 3 scenarios
1. dealer will include thrittle in the box, you connect it.
2. dealer will give you the codes so you can change on the LCD contril panel.
3. Would not play ball, locjed at 4mph

Try and engage here in private message with roodog if they are on here?

Dome are reluctant to engage in public

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Which Rooog is it? Does it have a LCD display on the handlebars?

I experienced 3 scenarios
1. dealer will include throttle in the box, you connect it.
2. dealer will give you the codes so you can change on the LCD contril panel.
3. Would not play ball, locjed at 4mph

Try and engage here in private message with roodog if they are on here?

Dome are reluctant to engage in public

D

Deleted member 4366

Try the normal procedure:

Press and hold the up and down buttons together within a few seconds of switching on. That might take you to some settings. Use the power button to change to the next setting and the up and down buttons to adjust the setting. You're looking for something that changes from 6 to 0. If it's not there, while in the settings, press and hold them again for about 6 seconds to see if it goes to more settings.

Some similar LCDs now require a pass-code to get into the settings.

Please let us know what happens.

• Informative
  • Useful
Reactions: LeighPing and IR772

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
I have an Oxygen emate and the throttle on this was set to far less than walking speed which felt like an error. I disconnected it within the control box - a simple 5 minute job with no need to touch the computer unit.

tringmotion

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2016
GB
Hi, I'm getting a new roodog ebike but note the thumb throttle is set to 4mph. My previous bike allowed me to use the throttle to 15mph. How is the speed regulated on the new bike and can this be overridden?. Cheers. Dave
Of course modifying the bike is your prerogative.
1 thumb throttles are expressly banned by law from 1/1/16, any bike imported before this date can be modified.
2 to make it legal you must take the bike to a VOSA testing station to get the bike individually type approved.
3 if you make the modifications and don't get it type approved you are riding an unapproved, unregistered, untaxed and uninsured moped, which would make you liable for prosecution.

I have the conversation a lot, I have no examples of prosecutions being made, but I do know that they spent 6 months on writing the punishment for economic operators (technical term for the sellers) before they wrote the guidance for what was legal for end users.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 4366

I have an Oxygen emate and the throttle on this was set to far less than walking speed which felt like an error. I disconnected it within the control box - a simple 5 minute job with no need to touch the computer unit.
There's a simple setting in the LCD to change it to a normal full range throttle.

Throttles are still legal to use. We have been granted some sort of concession on them. It's not legal to sell a bike with a throttle, but it's OK to use one in this country.

tringmotion

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2016
GB
There's a simple setting in the LCD to change it to a normal full range throttle.

Throttles are still legal to use. We have been granted some sort of concession on them. It's not legal to sell a bike with a throttle, but it's OK to use one in this country.
The concession is it needs to be type approved. This is to prevent claims for disability discrimination, the reality being it's almost impossible to do.
I do have a copy of the government guidance from the VCA and it's black and white on this as well as Road buttons on motors above 250w

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The concession is it needs to be type approved. This is to prevent claims for disability discrimination, the reality being it's almost impossible to do.
I do have a copy of the government guidance from the VCA and it's black and white on this as well as Road buttons on motors above 250w

Can you please link or post the guidance.

D

Deleted member 4366

That's not right. You only need type approval to sell them.

Do a search through the forum for "throttles" to find details of the concession.

tringmotion

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2016
GB
No it is right because by making the modifications you are changing the class of vehicle from bicycle to L1e-A, which is notifiable.
I have not made further investigation as I abandoned the project, however when I spoke to the head of department at the VCA he said verbally that I would be commiting an offence by knowingly supplying a throttle to a person with an e-bike imported after 1/1/16

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Last edited:

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Its another one of those stupid laws anyway if the bike was pre-Jan 2016 its obviously legal and grand fathered with a conversion who is to say, which part constitutes the bike and are all of an ebikes components date stamped.

I agree that dealers are bound by this law but for joe public if he ir she adds a throttle post purchase then i doubt any legal entity would challenge.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366