Thumb throttles

Madness

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 22, 2009
Norwich NR1
Could anyone point me in the direction of where i can get a thumb throttle for my e-bike, it came with a twist throttle but as with most bikes i have twist shift gears.

I have looked on eBay but the its gonna cost about £15 and i'm not a fan of the shipping times from the east.

Can anyone help?

Wooky

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2009
Near Barnstaple, Devon
Could anyone point me in the direction of where i can get a thumb throttle for my e-bike, it came with a twist throttle but as with most bikes i have twist shift gears.

I have looked on eBay but the its gonna cost about £15 and i'm not a fan of the shipping times from the east.

Can anyone help?
Bob has one here :

Online Shop

Whether the resistance of this throttle matches your controller of course I've no idea.

Just noticed he has None, sorry, I know his next container is not for 8 weeks!

Terry

Madness

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 22, 2009
Norwich NR1
oh well,

When i first converted my bike i didn't want a throttle to prove the point that its not a lazy persons bike.

Now i come to realize that the pedelec is not for me, it kicks in when i dont want it to and wont do jack when im doing 15mph and hit the only hill on the way to work when i need the help, im thinking a throttle will help with it all and disconnect the pedelec sensor.

I'm sure that it will help me get fitter and lower my W/Mile as its a shame full 20 atm.

Does anyone else find this?

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
I am coming round to that point of view. I first started looking into disconnecting pedal sensors when trying to persuade my wife to join me in e-biking. She does not like the feeling of the motor kicking in on pedal assist, and would prefer a pure throttle for use as needed. The more I thought about it the more I thought she had a point, so shall be investigating disconnecting my sensor; my bike already has a good full-width throttle.

drgcb

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2008
I came to the same conclusion and went throttle only with one of the Alien thumb throttles. I do very much prefer it now, but it's an entirely personal thing. Of related interest, there's a guy over on Endless Sphere who modified a jetski-style trigger throttle for use with his e-bike:

An alternative to thumb or twist throttles

I'm sorely tempted to try something similar, although the wife thinks I spend too much time 'modifying' my bike as it is :)

Greg

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
It is interesting; I came across that thread a little while back while I was researching alternatives. I'm clearly not the only one who finds the normally supplied throttles un-ergonomic.

Given that throttles are not that complicated - as far as I can see it's just some kind of variable resistor to enable the voltage level to be adjusted - it's surprising no-one has come up with some good retro-fit ideas.