Ticking/Clicking noise from back wheel ?

Trek

Pedelecer
Jun 22, 2013
Hi All, I have a very noticeable ticking/clicking noise coming from my back wheel I assume. It is there at all speeds and gears constantly, as if something is brushing the spokes. The bike is a Shimano steps crank drive Volt Axis. I have looked incessantly into this, it only occurs when I am seated on the bike. I have had the bike up on its stand turning the pedals fast in all of its eight gears and it’s then silent no clicking noise, only when I am sitting on bike .Any suggestions much appreciated.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ticking noise could be a time bomb :D…..

Or check spoke tension. under load they could be flexing.

Reactions: Trek

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Thanks Guys, I take it all spokes need tightening with a spoke tool. A trip to Halfords tomorrow
I wouldn't do that unless you know what you're doing regarding 'truing' a wheel - if you're not careful you'll end up with the wheel 'out of true'.

What I would recommend is that you go around all the wheel spokes and with your finger tips, grab each spoke to see if one (or more) are obviously loose. In the event that just a couple are found to be loose, by all means tighten them up to the same tension as others on the same side of the wheel, using a spoke key.

If you have more than two spokes loose, then it might be best to take the wheel to your local bike shop (doesn't have to be an ebike specific place) and ask them to do the job unless you are happy to learn a bit more about wheel truing (youtube is a good place to find out more try this for starters).

PS - the tension of spokes can be estimated by 'picking' them with the fingernail tip and gauging the tone of the resultant sound.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
It may sound daft but check that your shoelaces arent tapping the spokes
Also daft, the free end of a gear or brake cable is a bit long and just touching the spokes.

Reactions: Andy-Mat

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Another one that may sound daft but check it's not coming from the saddle or seat post. I had a similar clicking lately and it disappeared when I greased the seat post. I couldn't believe it and would have sworn it was the spokes even after checking they were all okay.
Pedal bearings can also be a culprit.
Dave.

Reactions: Bikes4two

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Sounds like the old clicking spokes issue. Try adding a drop of oil to each point the spokes cross each other. Be careful not to get any on the braking surface (disc or rim).

Last edited:

Trek

Pedelecer
Jun 22, 2013
Thank you all gentlemen for your input and advice. Problem now solved it was about half dozen loose spokes. Picked up a EBike specific spoke tool from Halfords £6 now all fixed. What a great forum this is when knowledgeable members contribute their wisdom. My bike is now as quiet as a church mouse. Bit disappointed with Volt though, sending it to me like that, still relieved I have managed to sort it
Thanks Again.

Reactions: D C

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Thank you all gentlemen for your input and advice. Problem now solved it was about half dozen loose spokes. Picked up a EBike specific spoke tool from Halfords £6 now all fixed. What a great forum this is when knowledgeable members contribute their wisdom. My bike is now as quiet as a church mouse. Bit disappointed with Volt though, sending it to me like that, still relieved I have managed to sort it
Thanks Again.
I have found that after a few miles, the spokes on a new wheel can get loose as they apparently wear in.
Yours were probably fine when they left the factory, it's just that alloy wheels and hubs are softer than the old fashioned steel.

Reactions: Trek