Tingling hands

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Hiya...

Ta for this, helpful. I'm thinking Marys without bar ends will probably be better than straight bars with bar ends.
Did you have to fit a longer stem to make up for the back sweep shortening your reach?

Ta v much
Cheers, John
I already had a stem height extension with a standard forward reach (about 2ins I think).. However, the way Mary bars are configured they bend forward before the sweep back so your hands end up in about the same position as before, just angled inwards.
As a plus my Caradice handlebar box still fits - yey !

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Old Fart At Play

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2020
I already had a stem height extension with a standard forward reach (about 2ins I think).. However, the way Mary bars are configured they bend forward before the sweep back so your hands end up in about the same position as before, just angled inwards.
As a plus my Caradice handlebar box still fits - yey !
Ah, right, that sounds perfect. My current stem is quite short so I can easily lengthen it if needs be, but I'll try the Marys without and see how I get on.

Good to hear that you handdlebar box still fits and works, I tried a bar bag on my last bike, but it had drops and the bag fouled the brake cables, so I had to give up on that. May revisit now, as they are dead handy for camera, wallet etc

Cheers, John

Old Fart At Play

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2020
UPDATE

I bought some Bontrager bars, which are very much like the on-One Marys bars except they have a wider straight central section, which suited my equipment better. Angle of backsweep and over all width is about the same. They feel much more comfortable, and look much more natural. I still have some tingling, but not nearly as much. I will experiment with a riser stem next to see if I can eliminate tingle altogether.

TrekNewBarsCompressed.jpg

Oh and I added a Mirrycle mirror - these things are just brilliant.

Cheers, John

Reactions: D C

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
UPDATE

I bought some Bontrager bars, which are very much like the on-One Marys bars except they have a wider straight central section, which suited my equipment better. Angle of backsweep and over all width is about the same. They feel much more comfortable, and look much more natural. I still have some tingling, but not nearly as much. I will experiment with a riser stem next to see if I can eliminate tingle altogether.
Also experiment with changes to the angle of the bars. For straight bars that doesn't make any difference, but for swept back ones the difference can be quite significant. When that seems most natural you may want to rotate the brake levers a little so they fall easily under the fingers.

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
I was getting quite uncomfortable numbness & tingling in my wrists & fingers while riding my Boardman hybrid flat narrow bars but now get none at all as I have just bought an old Woosh Sundowner which has wider swept back bars & a nifty adjustable stem that allows height & fore/aft adjustment. I find the more upright riding position far more comfortable & enjoyable as I can see around better instead of just the road in front & I no longer get a crick in my neck from trying to look ahead rather than down. I had thought that the tingling & numbness was caused by my weight while leaning forward but the explanation about the natural hand position makes sense.

BTW Old Fart At Play Love the handle. A Captain Beefheart fan?

Old Fart At Play

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2020
a nifty adjustable stem that allows height & fore/aft adjustment. .
Yep have just ordered a ritchey adjustable stem so that I can experiment with height , as it is tricky to adjust height by rotating bars without losing my ideal hand position.

Cheers, John

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
You got it! Trout Mask is my favourite album, but I love them all (except Blue Jeans & Moonbeams and Unconditionally Guaranteed, which don't count <g>)
I had the pleasure of seeing him play a couple of gigs in the 1970s. I also had the good fortune to catch the final gig of the farewell tour of The Magic Band playing the music of Captain Beefheart led by John French alias 'Drumbo' in 2017.

Old Fart At Play

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2020
I had the pleasure of seeing him play a couple of gigs in the 1970s. I also had the good fortune to catch the final gig of the farewell tour of The Magic Band playing the music of Captain Beefheart led by John French alias 'Drumbo' in 2017.
ah, good man - snap! In the 70's I saw him at Birmingham and late in Liverpool. Also saw the Magic Band on penultimate and final tours - both times in Newcastle. Excellent!

Reactions: nigelbb