Titanium wrist electric shock risk?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Yes, like it, we need a stooge I mean 'volunteer' who has a big stick to try this theory out!

Maybe guerney could try attaching one to his homebrew 'devices'....? ;)

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
He could just cycle along woof woofing alll the time .
I'd feel ruff doing that all day!

Dogs are the natural enemies of our Eurasian badgers and the badgers are terrified of them.
Like us, badgers fear being carried off by golden eagles. Maybe I could train one to fly alongside screeching?

Stanebike

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
Hi I893469365902345609348566,
I was wondering if I could ask a question regarding your wrist injury?
Looking at the X-ray picture of the plate in your wrist I was wondering how long it took you to get back cycling again after the op.? By cycling I mean riding without pain or fatigue from the injury. The reason I ask is because my girlfriend has had a similar plate fitted after a fall, (not cycling related), and hasn’t felt confident enough to cycle again yet. We were planning taking our bikes on holiday with us later in the year and I’m wondering if I need to change our holiday plans.
Regards, Stanebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Hi I893469365902345609348566,
I was wondering if I could ask a question regarding your wrist injury?
Looking at the X-ray picture of the plate in your wrist I was wondering how long it took you to get back cycling again after the op.? By cycling I mean riding without pain or fatigue from the injury. The reason I ask is because my girlfriend has had a similar plate fitted after a fall, (not cycling related), and hasn’t felt confident enough to cycle again yet. We were planning taking our bikes on holiday with us later in the year and I’m wondering if I need to change our holiday plans.
Regards, Stanebike
I'm very sorry to hear that. I really didn't want to go on and on about my wrist, but now that you've asked: It took a year and 7 months before I didn't experience pain during or after cycling. I'm sorry to say it always hurts a bit doing anything, even now.

Has the skin darkened on your girlfriend's affected hand? That could be a sign of titanium allergy, if it doesn't go away (if her implant is titanium and not stainless steel). I think titanium allergy has complicated matters for me, and pain may have gone sooner, if it had been possible for a stainless steel implant to do the job. I believe lumps in my palm are a result of the allergy, but they have refused to remove the titanium implant. Removal bears risks, because bone bonds particularly well to titanium. They'd be hammering and drilling at it for ages. I don't want further damage to tendons, or a bone infection.

It's important to do all of the strengthening exercises the physio recommends, and apply ice directly afterwards to reduce the resulting inflammation and aid healing. If it hurts doing mundane things like washing up, it will hurt cycling. I recently discovered I just about have enough range of motion in my "repaired" wrist to do pressups again, which I'm very pleased about. Hurts during and after.

Wish I had better news for you, hope your girlfriend's experience is a less painful one.

Last edited:

Stanebike

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2020
Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry to hear of your allergy to titanium. My girlfriend hasn’t been told what metal was used. When she had the plaster off she asked the doctor who looked at her notes and said he wasn’t sure either titanium or stainless steel.
I hadn’t realised how serious a broken wrist can be or how slow the healing Is. She is doing all the exercises they’ve given her and is seeing small incremental improvements. From your experience with time to heal I think it will be wiser to leave the bikes at home for the upcoming holiday and plan some other activities.

Thank you

Regards, Stanebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry to hear of your allergy to titanium. My girlfriend hasn’t been told what metal was used. When she had the plaster off she asked the doctor who looked at her notes and said he wasn’t sure either titanium or stainless steel.
I hadn’t realised how serious a broken wrist can be or how slow the healing Is. She is doing all the exercises they’ve given her and is seeing small incremental improvements. From your experience with time to heal I think it will be wiser to leave the bikes at home for the upcoming holiday and plan some other activities.

Thank you

Regards, Stanebike
My doctors said didn't know what material it was either, which was weird because the radiologist did. He said it was "an expensive titanium implant" and noted in my hospital record. Turned out he had stainless steel implants in his foot. I think he might have been a little jealous tbh. It wasn't until my 4th follow up consultation and inspection with the doctors that they divulged this information, and only because I kept on going on about wanting the titanium removed. It's a bearable allergy, I hope. I was going to test it with a very strong neodymium magnet, but worried about loosening the screws. I'm actually quite disappointed it wasn't stainless steel, because it could have been handy if that magnet stuck to my wrist and I could stick screws, nuts and bolts to it while working on the bike.

Two bags of frozen peas form around the wrist really well, of course she must take it easy with the ibuprofen because it can permanently damage the liver. Ibuprofen gel slathered on is safer. Using the wrist speeds recovery and reduces the chance of bone infection taking hold. The last thing we want is a bone infection! Intravenous antibiotics and if that doesn't work, amputation.

There was some alarming talk among the medical staff of amputating my hand at one point, and I suppose in some parts of the world, that might have been done because it was a very awkward break and tricky operation. Quite honestly, I feel lucky to still have two hands! The operating scar on my wrist is odd. If I run my finger along it, I can feel the sensation in the middle of my palm. That alone makes me nervous of another operation to remove the implant, should that ever become necessary.

It transpires my neighbour broke his wrist aged 15 but never sought medical help. Consequently it healed a very odd shape. He swears it's stronger bone than in his other wrist, didn't stop him weightlifting.

I did ask if my titanium implant would enable me to easily lift cars and other heavy objects, run at 60mph and leap tall buildings etc. but sadly the answer was no. I shall request a second opinion.

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: Stanebike

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020

Thank you

Regards, Stanebike
I had an altercation with a tram line grabbing my front wheel, it wasn't at all bothered by the barking dog alarm.
While not as bad as a badger buggered wrist it still took a while to heal, so I bought a sit up and beg swept back handlebar, already had palm grips, so I could sit more upright and take the weight off my wrist. The headstock was also a variable angle one, so I raised the handlebar up and back, that helped too.

BillyBoy88

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2016
Paphos Cyprus
I'm just getting over a smashed elbow and have lots of metal, screws and brackets installed ( not a cycling accident, fell off my house roof) and I find by using it it helps, also have changed the handlebars on my bike as I now have limited movement, 1st time this morning to test and it was loads more comfortable, I was told they would take them out next year if I wanted.
It's been 8 months now and gets better all the time, still hurts in the soft tissue.

Regards
Billy boy 88

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
In case you're interested, there's a finite possibility that all the particles you're made of could spontaenously separate and explode into space, then come back together in the same arrangement on the moon