To all our trade members

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
There is a very worrying trend that has developed of late on pedelecs where when ever any one is looking for advice on a bike to buy (or opinions on a short list) that a few trade members feel the need always post touting their own products and these numbers seem to be growing.

Now I know business is hard at the moment and people are chasing sales but if every trade member starts doing this all we will have is a series of posts followed by 20 + look at our bikes posts which will soon get very boring.

The ones that really annoy are when someone says something like I am looking for a bike with XYZ characteristics and the trade member offers a bike that has none/few of these characteristics. This is just plain old spam.

Now I could always just put those trade members on my block list and not have to see all the spam but most of them also post really useful and interesting information and unfortunately the block filter is a blunt implement that would just block them out completely.

So while I respect your rights to try and sell your products all I ask is please decide if your product is the right one and if not dont post and if you feel it is dont just post a "look at my bikes post" but post something with why you think it would be a good choice for that potenial buyer.

If you do this I doubt you will loose any potential sales and infact more likely would get more as your responces would actually have some meaning.

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Garry....I suspect all us traders are stretching the terms and conditions of traders using this site. One of the problems is that there are very few mediums upon which we can advertise our products.
I try to make my 'touting' relevant to the OP and often suggest a competitors bike when I know that may be better for his job. Also I try to get involved in the general discussions on the forum, I hope some of my input from the traders point of view is interesting,similarly David from Wisper has some interesting input.
The traders input that also annoys me,is when I have contributed to a thread of say 'ideal bike to go onto a motorhome' and some trader recommends a 500 watt,30 kg monster,which is clearly not suitable.
Also if you are going to push your product on the forum you should pay to advertise,Russ's charges are quite reasonable.
If a particular trader is annoying you,then speak out and say so. Most of us have broad shoulders and can take criticism when its justified.
But dont ban me (Eddie RIP) I enjoy my involvement in this forum.
Dave
Kudoscycles

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
If a particular trader is annoying you,then speak out and say so. Most of us have broad shoulders and can take criticism when its justified.
But dont ban me (Eddie RIP) I enjoy my involvement in this forum.
Dave
Kudoscycles
I would rather leave it open for now as I have no desire to pick on any specific traders but just make a general suggestion which hopefully the worst offenders will take onboard.

I will say you are not even remotely close to top of hit list though :)

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
It's the nature of the beast ...

Snakes bite, horses eat apples, little lambs eat ivy & traders try not to miss an opportunity :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
General information requested by members is a invitation, I except it is a very thin line between general info and plugging ones product. Most of the traders are listed and it does not take a brain surgeon to realize they are trying to steer people to their products, which I give the same respect as I do with any form of advertising, But far more annoying are those traders that are not listed and pose as general members plugging there wares under the disguise of being a genuine member

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
General information requested by members is a invitation, I except it is a very thin line between general info and plugging ones product. Most of the traders are listed and it does not take a brain surgeon to realize they are trying to steer people to their products, which I give the same respect as I do with any form of advertising, But far more annoying are those traders that are not listed and pose as general members plugging there wares under the disguise of being a genuine member
As I said I have no issues with trade members suggesting their wares when relevant. Its more the mass posting "taka a look at my product" on all enquiries irrespective of whether its relevant or not and with no justification I am taking issue with.

Heres a very good example where a very specific question has been spammed IMHO

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/13042-any-volt-owners-dealers-hereabouts.html There is barely a single post that tries to answer the question raised by OP.

And you are correct even worse are touters who are not even admitting to being trade members.

Last edited:

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
The ones that really annoy are when someone says something like I am looking for a bike with XYZ characteristics and the trade member offers a bike that has none/few of these characteristics. This is just plain old spam.
Totally agree.

When someone says they have a good sized budget and wish to aquire a high end bike, why should a dealer feel it appropriate to provide details of a budget shopper.

Dealers, please appreciate that some are looking for a functional budget option, others have very specific requirements.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Agree completely. There are a few dealers who do this continuously and without much attention to the requirements of the original request. Such continual actions makes his forum a farce to be honest. There are also other traders who will contribute to such requests if they think they can offer the OP a suitable option which is great. However, this forum would be a much better place without the unnecessary and indiscriminate touting. It is becoming annoying!!

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
There is a very worrying trend that has developed of late on pedelecs where when ever any one is looking for advice on a bike to buy (or opinions on a short list) that a few trade members feel the need always post touting their own products and these numbers seem to be growing.

Now I know business is hard at the moment and people are chasing sales but if every trade member starts doing this all we will have is a series of posts followed by 20 + look at our bikes posts which will soon get very boring.

Now I could always just put those trade members on my block list and not have to see all the spam but most of them also post really useful and interesting information and unfortunately the block filter is a blunt implement that would just block them out completely.

So while I respect your rights to try and sell your products all I ask is please decide if your product is the right one and if not dont post and if you feel it is dont just post a "look at my bikes post" but post something with why you think it would be a good choice for that potenial buyer.

If you do this I doubt you will loose any potential sales and infact more likely would get more as your responces would actually have some meaning.
Noted Garry.

I really enjoy participation in these forums and generally only show our signature and site link when suggesting our bikes as a potential solution. I am saddled ( :) ) with a trade logo even when I'm not trying to nudge someone towards our products, but such is the set-up of this site.

Eddieo raised this issue and he had a good point to make, if more bluntly delivered. Often threads are overtaken by traders with their own agenda and OPs are ignored. I try never to do that, but enthusiasm for our bikes can sometimes overwhelm me.

Thanks for the reminder Garry and please accept my apologies if I have offended.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
There is a fine line and technically all traders should be paid members to respond to sales requests according to forum rules. There are some good traders who add value in addition to some of the excellent advice from non trade members. We try and respond appropriately to members requests for information, even if this means not suggesting one of the brands we sell!

C

Cyclezee

e.g. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/13899-e-bikeshop-co-uk-new-webiste-100-off-pedelecs-members.html

Of course we could give them the benefit of doubt and asume they are unaware that trade members have to pay:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Boy trade members are now even spamming this thread ;)

Seriously though if you see non trade members touting wares politely point out the error of their ways and if they persists just tell admin who im sure will remind them or ban them.