To fit hatchback

mylesm

Just Joined
Mar 14, 2021
I recently purchased a BMW 225XE Hatchback with the intention of carrying 2 Ebikes On a Tow ball Carrier

Now I find that I cannot fit a Towbar to this model my bad for not checking

The Car is fairly spacious with the Back seats folded so I am now thinking of 2 Ebikes to fit in the back

Me and my wife want to go off during the Summer to do different Day Cycles on Greenways etc only the two of us so no problem losing the back seats

I have been looking at the internet for some help but I am struggling

I was thinking of the Cube Compact would 2 of them fit easily into Hatchback or would I need a Folder

If anyone can advise please do also any pics of bikes in back of Hatchback Car would be great

Thank you
Mylesm

D

Deleted member 33385

I recently purchased a BMW 225XE Hatchback with the intention of carrying 2 Ebikes On a Tow ball Carrier

Now I find that I cannot fit a Towbar to this model my bad for not checking

The Car is fairly spacious with the Back seats folded so I am now thinking of 2 Ebikes to fit in the back

Me and my wife want to go off during the Summer to do different Day Cycles on Greenways etc only the two of us so no problem losing the back seats

I have been looking at the internet for some help but I am struggling

I was thinking of the Cube Compact would 2 of them fit easily into Hatchback or would I need a Folder

If anyone can advise please do also any pics of bikes in back of Hatchback Car would be great

Thank you
Mylesm

Would these be any good? "Our Customer Service Team is happy to assist with individual compatibility checks for your vehicle."

I was thinking of the Cube Compact

Are are some measurements:

...rather helpfully, they don't show the measurement from the outmost front edge of the front forks to the furthest edge of the rear wheel, which you can probably take a fair guess at to within a cm or two - if the front wheel is removed: (Cube wheelbase 108cm) + (wheel diameter divided by 2) + (rear tyre height) . You might be able to contact someone at Cube (or a Cube dealer) to interrogate and get exact measurements, or take a tape measure into dealerships. Buying bikes which don't fit would be a freaking nightmare. The Cube "Compact" looks tall - make sure you have enough height, if you're going to use a rack to stand them upright.

Last edited:

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
You would have to check how much space you have but removing the front wheel should be sufficient to get one ebike into the back of an average hatch. I bought a tent carpet (light, large and durable) to protect the inside of the car from my dirty bike. This covers the floor and the sides of the back of the car. I have carried two manual bikes in the back of a hatch. I just put a piece of left over household carpet over the first before putting the second one in in order to avoid damage from contact between the two bikes. The only difference with an ebike is that, being heavier, lifting the second one in on top of the first will be more of a challenge. I always leave the battery off mine until it is out of the car to reduce the weight that needs to be lifted.

In my experience the most important thing is having a front wheel that is easily removed and re-fitted. Probably best to avoid a front mudguard as this will only get damaged when you remove the wheel - guess how I know this!

Reactions: pentiumofborg

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Look for the lightest bikes you can find. Try to borrow a full size bike (neighbour?) if you don’t have one and try fitting it in with front wheel removed. It will probably fit and two shouldn’t be a problem with the seats down. Some Greenlanes can be quite rough so you’ll need suitable tyres fitted and full size wheels would be best. Bikes like the Cube compact are best for the city, quite heavy and not very good off-road.

D

Deleted member 33385

I just put a piece of left over household carpet over the first before putting the second one in in order to avoid damage from contact between the two bikes.

Bloody useful is carpet - saves many a distressing and possibly irreversibly devaluing damage that a muddy oily bike can do to a car very very easily!

D

Deleted member 33385

Bikes like the Cube compact are best for the city, quite heavy and not very good off-road.

The only thing that seems compact about the Cube "Compact" are the wheels! Have folding 20 inch bike wheels been invented?

Edit: Yes they have:

Last edited:

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
I can get 2 full size bikes in my Skoda Roomster ( The clue is in the name) stood up with the front wheels removed using an interior bike rack, so I reckon the Cube Compact should fit.

Reactions: Grebacwhite

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Hi, a few thoughts:
Avoid heavy bikes as you will be lifting them a lot, removing the battery will help.
Removing the front wheel (and making sure there's no front mudguard) will make them a lot smaller but may not be enough.

Folding bikes (and folding electric bikes) are available but I have no experience, Brompton is a well known make but I'd like bigger wheels on country lanes.
Brompton.jpg
Fido is a name I hear a lot, they do a compact folding electric bike - the folding electric part is ideal for you, the shape and small wheels might not be. https://www.fiidostore.com/Electric-Bike-M1-c98056/

Would a bike rack on your tailgate work? You would need to check the weight limit of the rack, then remove the bike battery and weigh the bike (with motor etc). Random example https://bikes-n-stuff.com/review-saris-gran-fondo-bike-rack/

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

You could use the measurements on the Cube website to make a cardboard cut-out version, and try it for size in the car. If the neighbours ask what you're doing, tell them your bike is board during lockdown.

Last edited:

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
A MiRider fits very easily in a hatch and I think they show 2 side by side on their website.

Mine will be available soon as I’ve managed to make space for a full-size hybrid.