soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Nice one SW, thanks for sharing that. :)

I finally got around yesterday to fitting the Hutchinsons yesterday.

Having not previously fitting rim tape before, I looked at YT for clips, and people seemingly either use a wheel truing device, or held the wheel between there legs whilst applying the tape.

My method, was to simply remove the old tyre and tube, clean the rim thoroughly with isopropanol, rub the inside of the rim with wet and dry, clean again with isopropanol, then re fit the wheel to the bike before putting the tape on. No hassle and very easy. I also overlapped the tape by approx 150mm, starting at the valve hole.

As expected, the Hutchinson tyres inflated first time, with no leaking. :)

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I realise that you might perhaps only require one of these, but at £1.89 for ten adapters that potentially make tubeless tyre inflation quicker and easier, I was happy to pay the money and an just give the remaining adapters away to mates. Delivery also only took one week.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322017607679?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT (I see that the price has now jumped up a whole 10p)

The above are less complicated than my current three piece set up.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
thats what i use and a 3.99 foot pump from aldi, not the best for the job but got the tyres on with it just.

Reactions: EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i need 1 as well as if it dont go on its down the garage and use the blown tyre button tho thats 50 50 if it works as cant blast it non stop as stop starts.

is there a cheap compressor and spray gun setup anywhere as hard to get my can activator to work just dont want to spend 300 quid just on a gun.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I have two.

A cheapo £45.00 quid one that came from Lidls many years ago. It came with a nail gun, and was used to tack work prior to me fixing it. It's ideal for mtb tyres.

My second one, is a feck off great big one, that was in my machine shop when I had it. I'm actually lazy and use that one. Potentially more risky I guess, but it certainly works fast. :D

It would be interesting to try something like this.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

mab13

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2015
Peak District
It would be interesting to try something like this.

That's what I use Eddie... well, I say 'use' but I've only used it the once to seat my Nobby Nics which didn't need re-seating during my ownership. There was a little trial and error with the first tyre, but the second went on without any problems whatsoever.

I'll be giving my DIY compressor its second ever outing in a couple of weeks when the Levo arrives. My only concern is that the 3.0" tyres will need more air to properly seat them and I'm unsure whether or not the 2L coke bottle will be enough. Time will tell...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my back tyre super gravity was easy to inflate just with a foot pump as its so thick on the side walls took me an hour to get it on the fkn rim tho, but the front non sg was a pita to get inflated easy to get on but had to leave the sealant in it to go off b4 i could get it inflated with a foot pump and the compressor at the garage just blew out the sealant as starts stops ffs.

id get a compressor if you can pick one up cheap enough :)

mab13

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2015
Peak District
my back tyre super gravity was easy to inflate just with a foot pump as its so thick on the side walls took me an hour to get it on the fkn rim tho, but the front non sg was a pita to get inflated easy to get on but had to leave the sealant in it to go off b4 i could get it inflated with a foot pump and the compressor at the garage just blew out the sealant as starts stops ffs.

id get a compressor if you can pick one up cheap enough :)
I use the compressor first to seat the tyre without any sealant in. Once seated it doesn't move and I deflate the tyre, remove the valve core and syringe sealant through the valve... then pop the core back in and re-inflate. No risk of blowing the sealant out. :)

Reactions: soundwave

Sherman

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
I used a floor pump. I didn't even have to remove valve cores, Nobby Nic 2.8s were so easy to setup tubeless.

My fat tires still have tubes. And I will probably keep them that way, easier to change to studded tires if needed.

• Agree
Reactions: Izzyekerslike

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I have just removed the two tyres on the Lycan after about seven months of use with Caffelatex, and I was amazed at what I saw.

The liquid was as good as the day that it first went inside of the tyre, and there were several thorns also poking through to the inside of the tyre.

If ever I needed proof that Caffelatex performs, then that was it.

Denis99

Pedelecer
May 26, 2016
South Wales
www.instagram.com
I use a product called Airshot, have search on the Internet for it.

Since buying I have used it at least 20 times and had no problem seating tyres tubelessly.

I don't have any connection with the company , just a satisfied user.
Even inflates and seat fat bike tyres.

• Informative
Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
SW, after seeing your photo of the Stans fluid setting hard in the bottle and your comment of trying another product, I have two recommendations.

I'm more than happy using Caffelatex, and wouldn't now use anything else, so that would be my first recommendation.

http://www.effettomariposa.eu/en/products/caffelatex-sealant/

The second is Orange sealant, which I have yet to see, but keep hearing very good reports about it. It could be another to consider.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/reviews/pumps-puncture-repair/orange-seal-tyre-sealant

Reactions: soundwave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
will be using Caffelatex when i need some more just peed of as just got another 1l bottle of no tubes.

i did have some left in my tyres but dumped it out after what i seen in the bottle as it also coated the hole inside of the bottle with that lump at the bottom must have lost 10% if not more.

can see how it would ball up after a while with adding more every 3 months to what ever was left in the tyre as well.

just a pita now as have to clean the inside of the tyre b4 i can add new stuff.

Last edited:

Related Articles

Advertisers