To suspend your bum or not?

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I`m still switching saddle posts around between suspesion and fixed and although it can be nice if you fail to see a big pot hole, in general I think I`m coming down to the fact that non suspended posts allow for more accurate set up height and also gets you riding the bike more by the seat of your pants which I find is more rewarding.

Have others had the dilemma and what were your conclusions?

Dave

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
Hi Dave

Having the same dilemma myself. Before I fit the kit to my bike I had switched to a suspension seatpost and kept with it when the motor etc was fitted.

Now that I've lived with it for awhile I'm going to switch back to the normal seatpost just to see how it feels and whether the suspension mechanism actually helps. I suspect I'll prefer the normal seatpost but time will tell.

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think I`m coming down to the fact that non suspended posts allow for more accurate set up height and also gets you riding the bike more by the seat of your pants which I find is more rewarding.
Absolutely, better by far for me. Most suspension posts I've come across rarely work for lower body weights and when they do work the results are unpredictable.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So there are some advantages to being fat?
Yes indeed!

I still have a suspension post on one bike since i has the tilt feature for removing the battery, but the only time it works is if I brake hard at low speed when it then slides down the incline of the seat tube. Over bumps it does nothing at all.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Yeh! I`ve just been out again and with a decent seat I think the non suspended post does ride better.

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
I replaced the suspension seatpost last night with the original that came with the bike. Initially I had set it too high but after dropping it an half an inch or so it was spot on. Definitely made a difference - much more solid feel to my pedalling. A bit tougher on my rear end tho!

John

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
I'm getting on fine with my Far East sprung seat. I'd totally forgotten about them - the last time I had one was way back, some forty years ago.
That, in combo with my more upright riding position has transformed the bike.

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
I'm getting on fine with my Far East sprung seat. I'd totally forgotten about them - the last time I had one was way back, some forty years ago.
That, in combo with my more upright riding position has transformed the bike.
Hi Dave - "far east sprung seat" is this a brooks clone?

Its funny when I put the original seatpost on I went for a more stretched out riding position. Which again helped to power along but boy did I feel it on the arms.

Would definitely think that a sprung saddle would suit a more upright position.

John

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
After many miles the suspension seat post on my 905 broke and a replaced it with a rigid one, when I got the 906 I put the rigid one on there and sold the brand new suspension post with the 905. I found the rigid one much better.