Todays - incident

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
That generally happens all to often when riding on the road.
The old left hook.

Its just bad driving all round and being inpatient.

I think most people that ride on the road have had this happen more than once. Sometimes they do it and then have to stop shaply because of traffic. They then get a swift middle finger from me.

It only seems to happen with cyclists though. No other form of 2 wheeled transport does this happen.
I've found taking a more aggressive position in the road helps. being further away from the curb limits the amount of space for over takes in such circumstances and the majority of drivers have no choice but to slow down.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Hmmm.....that was close !

Maybe a lot of car drivers cant estimate bike speed properly, or maybe they just dont see us.....or there again maybe most of them shouldnt actually be driving !

Oh to have dedicated cycle lanes everywhere.....wouldnt that be great.....just think how many more people would cycle if it was safer on the roads.......not that its ever likely to happen :(

Lynda :)

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Hmmm.....that was close !

Maybe a lot of car drivers cant estimate bike speed properly, or maybe they just dont see us.....or there again maybe most of them shouldnt actually be driving !

Oh to have dedicated cycle lanes everywhere.....wouldnt that be great.....just think how many more people would cycle if it was safer on the roads.......not that its ever likely to happen :(

Lynda :)
Yes, dedicated cycle lanes with priority at road junctions and traffic islands! Here in Warrington we have a collection of ridulous attempts at installing cycle lanes - some as long as 23 yards! It's also assumed that when cyclists reach a junction they will dismount and walk across ...

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
I've found taking a more aggressive position in the road helps. being further away from the curb limits the amount of space for over takes in such circumstances and the majority of drivers have no choice but to slow down.
I think you mean defensive cycling. The trouble with that though it can annoy motorists even more.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I think you mean defensive cycling. The trouble with that though it can annoy motorists even more.
Its aggressive becasue I'm also mooning them at the same time.

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
Ahh the old mooning trick ... I often see the moon rising when following Kev (Donkey) ..
This is precisely why I always am at the front all the time now. I got fed up looking at his Ass Crack.

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
I'm guessing the driver initially thought they could get round in time, under/over estimated the various speeds, should have slowed and allowed the bike to continue first but was under pressure from the following vehicle, panicked and turned left anyway taking as wide berth as he/she knew the bike was there.

Poor driving, hopefully a lesson learned by the driver.

However I'm surprised to see a lack of cycle rage, a waving fist in the air would have made much better viewing :D:D

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I have to admit, that cycling has made me more of a passive motorist.
Its actually taught me to understand that speed and overtaking is just not really worth it. You dont get to a destination any quicker. You only annoy yourself and you won't enjoy the travel.

Plus there's more to look at while cycling!

Last edited: