Today's question - weatherproofing

Terry1100

Pedelecer
Dec 18, 2014
As it was slightly moist coming in to work this morning I was pondering my next pre-purchase question.

Are any brands of E-Bike particularly noted for their weatherproofing (or indeed criticised for their lack of it).

I don't need to worry about being parked chained to a railing in the rain as it will be kept inside - and after 35+ years of riding a conventional bike in London commuting I'm happy with my understanding of the effects of rain and muck on chains, gear and other cycle parts.

But what about the battery, motor, wiring and handlebar display - any stand-out brands ?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
if you don't park outside, nothing to worry about.
If you park outside, you need to dry the bike thoroughly as soon as. Otherwise, the LCD tends to fog up. Paniers also give extra protection to rear rack battery against the elements.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Most of the more premium brands will have better weatherproofing than cheap Chinese bikes. The Kalkhoff with its battery well integrated with the motor is generally regarded as pretty waterproof for commuting in all weathers. Ditto other European bikes. I ride my Kalkhoff in the rain and the only thing that concerns me is the hassle of having to clean it afterwords.

Reactions: SteveRuss

Terry1100

Pedelecer
Dec 18, 2014
Otherwise, the LCD tends to fog up
Aye - been there with cheap cycle computers in the past

Panniers also give extra protection to rear rack battery
Excellent - my (currently) #1 shortlisted bike has a rear rack battery - and I have fairly large panniers.

Thanks to you both.