Toe clips

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
I used half toe clips for a while but now use platform pedals with the raised pins and never had a problem even descending tricky singletrack. Wellgo & DMR are not too expensive

• Agree
Reactions: D C

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I use toe clips on my hard tail Haibike and find them excellent. I use a smaller strong pedal and a plastic toe style enclosure extension designed for straps.

The combination of the two work really well together.

Off road you can angle your foot so it is forward in the toe enclose and held securely for great control when speeding down tracks.

You can wear normal trainers.

They add useful protection to your feet from a pedal strike.

You can pull as well as push when pedaling for greater efficiency and control when climbing technical tracks.

On the few occasions I have ejected from my bike my feet have come away easily and not been trapped.

Probably a bit out of fashion but I have found them very effective. Like any good bit of equipment they just work and you forget they are there.

The straps will need changing when they wear out but I think I have only done this once.

I fitted them when I bought the bike in 2015, nearly 12,500 miles ago.

Toe clips 002.JPG

Toe clips 006.JPG

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I tried toe clips that came with a bike once but didn't like the faffing about every time you stop. Used clip in pedals set at the lowest tension for a long time and really liked them but recently bought some wide flats with the big pins in... really good!

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I use Shimano clip less on three of my bikes but this means also finding clipless shoes that fit snugly.

Reactions: Muddyfox

Muddyfox

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Nottingham
Clip in pedals are well worth the few rides it takes to get yourself accustomed to them and find the clip tension best suit to you. Been using them for more years than I care to remember. Recently rode to my golf club for a social drink rather than playing so I wore my trainers rather than my clipless cycling trainers. Feet all over the place. Hated it.
Strange as it sounds you get a feeling off a circular pedalling action rather than an "up and down" action with clipless pedals.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Plastic half toe clips for me too.

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
I had toe clips 30 years ago so I’m not a novice with them (famous last words) so should be better than feet slipping off most of the time when it’s a rough track.

davell

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Doncaster
Pedals with pins and proper rubber soled MTB shoes and your feet stick like they are glued on. I wouldn’t have believed it if I hadn’t tried it myself.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i use these.