Tonaro esprit -quick update

TylerD

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2010
Just to let anyone who's interested know that Phil at Power Pedals has been told that his Tonaro Esprit order will be shipped on 10th August and that he hopes to take delivery the 1st or 2nd week in September. I"d be really interested in feedback from anyone who has a test ride before I do:eek:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
I think I can almost guarantee that that will be me :)
I've been waiting long enough !

Lynda

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Oh ha de ha :)
You mean as well as new pussy cats and bunnies and things.....?
Well, surprise surprise......I just love the Tonaro's power unit.....cant wait to try it out again.....

Funky :)

hoppy

May 25, 2010
Anyone know Esprit 1 and 2 prices yet? My Compy's been brilliant. Could be tempted with an Esprit as well.

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
I think he gets the new stock of Enduros in at the same time. I am really enjoying mine and it is getting me out to all sorts of places.

Unfortunately Jannies Compy is looking terminally ill. Up to now Phil has sent me a new crank disc a new crank sensor and a new controller but the bike still will not run right.

I am certainly not complaining about Phil, he could not be more helpful and he is as baffled as I am now. I actually think he is more annoyed with the bike than I am. I am just going to let him know about the bad news and so I will ask the prices of the Esprit and come back and tell you.

Steve

hoppy

May 25, 2010
Perhaps it's the motor then, Steve. May be easier to swop the whole bike, I suppose. Must say my Compy has been, and is, fine.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Steve,
If you or Phil find out what is wrong with the Compy, please let us know.
Seeing just how much has been replaced, I suspect a bad connection somewhere. Could be something simple like the 'on/off switch' or the 'kettle' plug.

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
I think you are right Mike.

It reminds me of a friend who had an old Enfield motorbike. When he ran it slow he said it ran rough but when he speeded up it ran fine. He spent weeks fiddling with the new carbs he had fitted but without success. He mentioned this problem to another friend who looked at the bike, took a penknife from his pocket and did something and then said "Try it now".

The bike ran wonderful at all speeds. When asked what he had done to the bike the friend handed over a brown tag attached to a piece of string, a bit like a baggage label. This had been attached to the replacement carb and my friend did not bother removing it.

When the bike ran at low speeds the label would cover the carb air intake and stopped enough air getting it. When he cranked up the speed the labal would blow out of the way and the bike would run fine.

Stupid but true.

I am sure if I send the Compy back to the UK, the same will apply.

Steve

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Just a thought Steve. Have you checked the brake switches? I don't know if the Tonaro set up will work without them but it has to be worth a shot.

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
I will try both of those things and see what happens. What does the magnet on the back wheel actually do?

Phol has told me he is only getting the Esprit 2 in for now, the one with the hub gear. The price will be about £1300 including delivery.

Steve

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
The magnet is the 15mph speed limiter. You will see that there is a sensor fitted to the left hand rear fork which the magnet passes. Loosen the magnet a bit, slide it up the spoke, so that it no longer operates. Make sure that the brake levers go fully home when released, otherwise the switch in them may be operating. Finally, try tapping the on/off switch when the bike refuses to go.
Maybe a bit of general wire wiggling will reveal a poor connection.

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
Successs with the Compy.

I removed the magnet as Mike suggested and the problem was solved. Thanks for that Mike.

Also a big thanks to Phil at Powerpedals for trying everything to solve the problem and sending loads of bits at his own expense without one moan. We now need to find a way to make him send a frame and a couple of wheels to make up a new bike.

Jannie is loving the Compy now.

Steve

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
That is really good news Steve and well done to Mike

Lynda

wd0021089

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 21, 2011
Newcastle upon Tyne
Thank WD 0021089
Mike
Hi Mike not to worry just glad the Compy is going okay now, my Compy did exactly the same and as it happens the first thing I tried, taking the magnet off cured it for me so I thought it may be the same thing on Steve's bike. The symptoms sounded exactly the same.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Hi Mike not to worry just glad the Compy is going okay now, my Compy did exactly the same and as it happens the first thing I tried, taking the magnet off cured it for me so I thought it may be the same thing on Steve's bike. The symptoms sounded exactly the same.
Aaah.....NOW I understand Mike's post........I thought it was some sort of code for an upmarket WD40 (sorry I was obviously having a blonde moment :) ) ......sorry
wd0021089 I had missed your post, and thankyou :)

Lynda

TylerD

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2010
Really disappointed -I've just been told by Phil at Powerpedals that the Esprits which have just been delivered don't have throttles and are crank-drive only. I've asked him to let me know when the throttle version will be here:(:(:(

D

Deleted member 4366

Really disappointed -I've just been told by Phil at Powerpedals that the Esprits which have just been delivered don't have throttles and are crank-drive only. I've asked him to let me know when the throttle version will be here:(:(:(
Is it not possible for Phil to fit a throttle. Presumably he has some as spare parts and the controller should have a connection for one.