Tonaro.....first real test ride....

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Perhaps at £12.25 delivered this might help?

600 LBS BOAT, HAND,CARAVAN WINCH

HEAVY DUTY CONSTRUCTION

DIAMETER OF ROPE: 4.2 mm

LENGHT OF ROPE: 8 METER

MANUAL HAND WINCH 600 LBS BOAT, TRAILER, CARAVAN, 4X4 | eBay

Many thanks for that link Orraman.......could you explain to me how I could use it ?
Where would it have to fit and would I just attach the end to the bike then how would I turn the crank handle and still balance the bike as it went up onto the rack......it sort of seems like I would have to be at both ends of the rack and have at least 4 hands....... ( I havent ) :)

Lynda

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
Lynda,
If your motorholm is of the type with a ladder to the roof at the rear you should be able to mount it there.

Otherwise the winch could be used in the manner of raising a yard up a mast on a boat where the winch is at a convenient height and the cable passing over a pulley at the top of the mast then down to a sling or a spreader bar attached to the seatpost and the handlebars.
If the rear section of the motorholme is sturdy enough the pulley could be attached there above the rack.

Lacking such strength a substitute sectional mast could be fabricated, perhaps from two 4 foot tubular sections.
The lower section might slot into a traverse T section tube with a footplate for you to stand on to provide stability. Somewhat after the style of a quality bike stand.

Two points to bear in mind.
(1). The pulley will have the weight of the bike and an identical downward force from the winch.
(2). If it all seems a little agricultural, an orraman is a handyman on a Scottish farm.

Dave

"Give me a lever long enough........."

Last edited: