Tongsheng lights

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
No expert but yes, although not sure it is recommended?

I think there are at least a couple of ways:

Use a speed sensor / cable with y split and get a lighting cable that plugs into the 2nd y. One came with my kit but I have not used it. I think this is 6v and quite a low current limit. Put to high a load on and expensive things fry. I would avoid going down this route personally.

Use a light capable of > Dc that's higher than your battery can deliver and wire in on the battery side with a fuse. There are lights that with built in buck converters on AliExpress and the like.

Use a separate buck converter and use some other random DC light.

Personally, I'd rather have independent battery powered lights. They still work if main battery is flat and far less hassle.

C

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
DC to DC converter circuit. Look on AliExpress and search for them, they will be plenty there. You would just need to find one with appropriate input and output voltage.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
After receiving advice on this forum from @Nealh @saneagle @StuartsProjects master safecracker @Andy-Mat and others, I soldered three of these plus a couple more besides directly to my ebike's 36V battery via a 3A inline blade fuse and waterproof switches on the handlebar:

...but due to my poor solding skills at the time (much improved since :cool:) a horrible soldering disaster killed my controller along the way, so be warned! Here there be dragons! :eek: They now light up the road effectively, so it was all well worth doing:

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It's nice being able to spot potholes from a distance, no matter how fast I'm travelling. Also, one of the two 1800lm headlights mounted to my handlebars points slightly left, to alert drivers approaching at intersections. These lights are also highly visible during the day, which has got me out of trouble a few times. It's a bonus that such bright lights don't need to be charged independently, fewer things to forget charging, as there's enough to forget already. :rolleyes:

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
With 9000lm isn't there a risk you'd melt the tarmac in front of you and be creating your own potholes?

I'm just jealous, my 2 lights combined are only 1800lm...and even then I get flashed by on-coming cars so usually ran with 550lm on rural roads.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Bright enough could melt the surface smooth? It's only 2X 1800LM on the handlebar, one 70 lux in the fork, one 6W pointing backwards from the handlebar at my hi-viz blouson, which is either red or yellow, plus another 1800LM made red using heat-resistant red acetate flashing brightly in truly nauseating fashion at the back. I don't position them to dazzle.