Tongsheng with throttle (8pin) trying to connect to 860c display

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Hi Staps

Are you converting to 860c in order to do the firmware upgrade on the TSDZ2?
This is next on my project list, so I'm gathering info....

Cheers

Gavin

Staps

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 21, 2020
Hello Gavin, that is what im doing

I am performing the firmware update to the 860c but trying to keep the mechanical throttle working ( which is what the 8pin model has over the 6pin).

So from actually having it it front of me i have learned/ kinda guess right now

The method detailed on the github site just has the 8 pin splicing to the 860c Display cable as does the 6pin does. Leaving mechanical throttle ( unused wires) kinda your problem. The 860c display does not have throttle bypass connections in the display that the Tongsheng came with.

The opensource firmware actually has a software implementation of throttle via the soft buttons!

So unless like me you have a want to get a physical throttle, get the non throttle Tongsheng and if needed press the buttons. Also be aware that with all the cable splicing etc its quite advanced to make it look good when parking next to 4k bikes at work.

Thanks

Last edited:

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Staps that's really interesting, thanks for coming back.

I've got a TSDZ2 with VLCD5 display fitted to my bike. It's got a thumb throttle which plugs straight into the back of the VLCD5 display. I haven't ordered the 860c display yet so I haven't had one in my hands to study it.

Are you saying there's no way to plug the thumb throttle directly into the 860?

I was under the impression from the thread on Endless Sphere and the Github site that the benefit of using the 860 display over the older 850 was that you didn't need to do any soldering- is this not the case?

Thanks again (and apologies for hijacking your thread)

Gavin

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The tread on ES lists a kit [sold in the US] which has all the bits to get it to work or its diy soldering
This has stopped me from tinkering

Staps

Jan 21, 2020
No soldering / straightforward was what I thought!

Also peter.c - Maybe I missed a post on endless sphere - it is over 200 pages long Haha.I would be very interested in that cable! as long as its not $40 + $20p&p and not really a $10 bafang cable!

My understanding is that the 860C is really a bafang display and so is wired like one. see ( https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/Wire-860C-850C-to-TSDZ2 )

The other thing is that with bafangs the throttle is stand alone and doesn't go via the display. see (https://bit.ly/30Gqb5L) and see how it connects via 3 pin to the cable in my ebay link (in first post).

The only cable I saw on endless sphere was one of these banfang cables which ( maybe?) still requires splicing? ( https://bit.ly/2UJ0rC5 )

Thanks

Last edited:

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Peter, thanks for that link. Quite spendy but my soldering skills are terrible so I might be tempted.

Staps, you're right- that ES thread is an absolute beast! I've skimmed it but sadly don't have a spare week to read (and understand) everything in it.

If either of you (or anyone else) successfully do the firmware upgrade, it would be really useful if you would post an "idiots guide" on here for people like me to follow....

Thanks once again

Gavin

Andy Vickers

Jun 28, 2020
Maybe we should operate a "rent the cable" scheme. Like a library book or a Time share ! :)
Once you are done with it you send it back! :)
I agree. Happy to pay postage and a fee :)
....... looking on the US site it looks like you need two things for 860c (tsdz2) Bootloader $40 and Programming cable $25 ....plus postage!!!