Tongxin 260 RPM power output

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
A bit off topic but I'd wish someone would compare the larger geared motors of the likes of BPM vs Mac vs Puma vs Cute.
I doubt there is much in all of the larger ones though.
I think that is because there aren't people over here running them. It seems the MAC and Puma are the prefered geared hubmotors for the North American market and the BPM being a bit of a newcomer. I think you and D8veh are the only ones i know who have them. (I hope to join you soon if my motor ever gets here!).

If you ever take a geared hub apart Scotty you will find loads of things that can go wrong, but I agree, the design and build quality is what makes a motor reliable and it seems all of them have their odd quirks, even the BPM.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
The Alien Auroras all come with the BPM and theres been a number of owners on the forum...

catsnapper

Pedelecer
I've used 2 Tongxin, most varieties of Bafang 250W and BPM 350W motors, and currently testing an Ezee front motor from [url=]www.ebikes.ca Homepage of the revolution [/URL] on the tandem. All were run with Ping 36V batteries, some of the smaller units were also tried on a 12Ah Li-Ion 36V bottle battery.

One Tongxin was excellent, pulling well on quite steep slopes with a smallish 14A controller. the second unit never came near the same level of performance and failed after 200 miles.

The various Bafang 250 units were used with a KU90 controller, giving a limit of 20A. They all performed acceptably on the level, but were not so good on moderate slopes, the older design being the best.
I'd certainly agree with D8veh that a bigger battery makes a significant difference, a brief test with a 44V Lipo transformed performance.

The BPM motors were excellent, both working well with a KU120 series controller using a 28A limit. One of the motors happily pushed the tandem around our local area with slopes up to 15%.

The Ezee unit was the most expensive at 275USD plus del and VAT etc, but also the best finished, with correctly drilled spoke holes, of consistent size and position.
The performance using an Infineon controller with a 25A limit exceeded the BPM, giving a higher top speed, smoother, faster acceleration and better hill climbing. The design allowed me to fit it into forks that wouldn't take a Bafang 250W motor.
So far the only slight downside is it seems slightly noisier than the BPM.

It's early days with the Ezee, but so far I'm very impressed.

Alan

Last edited: