..too many choices!!

Stubod

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2020
Hi all,
I recently posted a thread regarding belt v chain and derailleur v hub. After I had the replies I had convinced myself I wanted a Bosch hub rive with Nexus hub and chain as this seemed to offer the best compromise. However the bike I selected that matched this criteria is no longer available, (Raleigh Motus GT open frame). So I am having a rethink. I am still looking at a budget of around £2.5k. Minimum is hub drive and 500 battery, (and preferably hub drive).

There is a dealer (very) local to us that sells Volt bikes, however these seem to be fitted with a Shimano drive system? Is there much to choose between Shimano and Bosch? Internet research suggests the latest Bosch may be the better system?

Also nearly all the bikes I see only seem to offer derailleur, which while not being a deal breaker is still not my preferred option. I am starting to think that perhaps the "standard" Nexus 7 speed hub gear is causing problems so manufacturers are staying with the derailleur option?

I accept that as I have plenty of time to think about this given "lockdown" I am probably over thinking things. While I am really keen to get an e-bike I am reluctant to buy over the 'tinternet without having a test ride first and all our local dealers are closed and I accept it's not really an essential journey at the mo so will have to wait until restrictions are lifted.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester

Stubod

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2020
..thanks for the replies, as far as I can see the Evans bikes are mainly derailleur or for the Nexus option low steps rather than open frames?

Cube have not been on my radar so will have a look at these...

Just had a look at the Rutlands website but the tech specs, (were I can find any) seen to differ from the descriptions? eg "500" motus is actually supplied with a 400 battery, "Hub" mentioned in description but bike pictured is derailleur and no specs available?...all a bit confusing. Perhaps most people aren't bothered...

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Cube certainly have a good name (as Raleigh used to).

It's irritating when websites get the specs wrong. I think they were right in the one I referenced (400 model with 400w battery, and both picture and specs showed Nexus hub. I can see some of their others have inconsistent details listed/pictured; like the 500
https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/electric-bikes/cube-town-hybrid-exc-500-2019-electric-hybrid-bike-black_462972 listed with 400w battery (probably that's the error).

A lot of the hub geared Bosch bikes have Magura rim brakes; our older (2016) 2nd hand Rakeigh Motus and this Cube. I find them a real fiddle to adjust. Looking at the picture of the Cube it has the rear one mounted in an odd place that would make adjustment even more awkward, and collect crud easily too.

Crazyj

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 30, 2020
What about the Giant Dailytour +1? If you get the 2019 model through Tredz it will be around your budget. I'm particularly interested in this bike and am about to call my local Giant store who have just re-opened today. The other bike to consider is the Raleigh Centros Grand Tour. Deals to be had on the Raleigh website if you buy before 31st May.

Both have disc brakes, hub gears, crank motors and belt drive for ease of maintenance.

Stubod

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2020
What about the Giant Dailytour +1? If you get the 2019 model through Tredz it will be around your budget. I'm particularly interested in this bike and am about to call my local Giant store who have just re-opened today. The other bike to consider is the Raleigh Centros Grand Tour. Deals to be had on the Raleigh website if you buy before 31st May.

Both have disc brakes, hub gears, crank motors and belt drive for ease of maintenance.

Hi and thanks for the info. I like the look of the Giant but I don't think they use the Bosch motors? (I will check). I have also noted the current Centros deals and this could be the one for me? ..although not a particularly "nice" looking bike, it is still not bad. Just fancied a test ride first if I am spending north of £2k, but may not have much of an option!

Also just checked and the Giant on offer at Tredz are only available in Small or large...and I am medium!

Reactions: Crazyj

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The Centros blurb says This battery is exclusive to our Centros range and is capable of delivering up to 225km of effortless performance from a single charge.
I don't know if this means it is a standard Bosch integrated battery (very expensive to replace) and by 'exclusive' they mean Centros is the only Raleigh range to use it; or if they really mean exclusive, which is likely to mean very very expensive to replace in a few years time.

Stubod

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2020
The Centros blurb says This battery is exclusive to our Centros range and is capable of delivering up to 225km of effortless performance from a single charge.
I don't know if this means it is a standard Bosch integrated battery (very expensive to replace) and by 'exclusive' they mean Centros is the only Raleigh range to use it; or if they really mean exclusive, which is likely to mean very very expensive to replace in a few years time.
,,good point, just when I though I had made my mind up I have something new to think about.. :) ....!

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
It’s a standard Bosch Powertube battery.

Crazyj

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 30, 2020
Hi and thanks for the info. I like the look of the Giant but I don't think they use the Bosch motors? (I will check). I have also noted the current Centros deals and this could be the one for me? ..although not a particularly "nice" looking bike, it is still not bad. Just fancied a test ride first if I am spending north of £2k, but may not have much of an option!

Also just checked and the Giant on offer at Tredz are only available in Small or large...and I am medium!
AFAIK, the Giant Dailytour is only available in small and medium (just looked at the manufacturer website) so Tredz probably have it incorrectly listed. Also, are Bosch motors better in any way than the Yamaha ones that Giant uses? I don’t know much about it myself, just interested.....

Stubod

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2020
AFAIK, the Giant Dailytour is only available in small and medium (just looked at the manufacturer website) so Tredz probably have it incorrectly listed. Also, are Bosch motors better in any way than the Yamaha ones that Giant uses? I don’t know much about it myself, just interested.....
..like most things, I don't think it's that clear cut. A recent Which report on various motors seemed to suggest that Bosch came out "best" but only by a percent or so on their scale. Quite a few reviews on the internet, but again nothing suggesting one is significantly better than the other. (There is also Shimano Steps which have some good write ups...).
I look forward to seeing other peoples opinions on the subject...

Stubod

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2020
Hi again, I contacted Raliegh ref the Centros battery and they have confirmed it is a "standard" Bosch tube battery as per the above post...

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Enjoy

Stubod

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2020
Looking forward to hearing what you think :)
..well it finally landed today and I have spent a good couple of hours getting it set up / adjusting things to suit me.
I originally wanted the "mid size", (they do small, medium and large). The "medium size" is for around 5ft 9 to 6ft 2, (or thereabouts) and I am just over 5ft 9. However when I went to purchase the bike all the mid sized ones had sold out with no more due in until October! I therefore took a bit of a risk and went for the "small" size. Must admit I am glad I did as with my feet on the floor the cross bar is very close to a certain region, (I am too old for kids anyway).
It was an absolute pig to the battery cover off and the battery out, (broke a nail). But once I did get it out and applied a bit of oil it seems to be a bit more straightforward. (Probably "too new")
So far I have only cycled up and down our bit of road while I get the seat height, handlebars and levers etc set up to suit. Already noted how smooth and quite the belt drive system is, and the 8 speed Nexus gears seem very smooth!

The Bosch intuvia system is great and seems simple enough to use, (not sure of the purpose of the USB port but I guess I will have to have a google).

General quality of the bike seems OK. I took a punt on ordering online, I would have much preferred to "see and feel" before parting with that sort of cash.

My first choice was going to be the Raliegh Motus GT, but I could not find one with a crossbar and hub drive. However the Centros was advertised with £500+ off list so it was more or less the same price the same price as the Motus.

Battery on charge tonight and planning maiden voyage tomorrow if the weather is OK. (OH will be on her Giant Prime as a comparison). Will report back after our first ride!

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
enjoy ... I'm sure you will

Reactions: Stubod