top box lock

alsmith

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2008
Northumberland
I had my flinger top box broken into, luckily nothing taken although one of the powabyke strange non-bottle battery casing now has a dent. The part the lock hooks over is smashed as is one of the side fasteners (must have been too hard to work out how to unclip for them).
Has anyone any experience / advice about fitting some kind of lock onto the box lid?
Those hasp things seem the most obvious but before I start then find out there's a better way........

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
Not got any advice about your broken lock but a friend of mine has some fairly fail safe tricks to stop thieves from forcing entry by bending things (tops) back. Araldite a few Stanley knife blades in under the lips (at the vulnerable points) - if they try to force their fingers in to pull the top open ..... :eek:
Another one is to put some in the rubbers around the top of your cars doors (slit the rubber and slip them in - again at the vulnerable points).
They only try it once.

alsmith

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2008
Northumberland
in case anyone is interested (and it helps anyone searching the forums in the year 2019) - I've come up with a couple of options.

- option 1 being tried: the lock itself is fine- it is the plastic moulding that it locks onto that broke- I have some aluminium bar left (20mm wide by 2mm thick) that was used making front carrier mounting brackets that I've kind of bent and sculpted so that it fits over the broken plastic part and a second 90° bend will allow it to be bolted to the casing above the moulding will hopefully be strong enough to work and support the plasic in place, together with a fairly liberal application of araldite.

- option 2 if the above fails, Wilkinson have a 3 inch locking hasp for £4. It will take a bit of cutting of some lips moulded on the body of the lid and box but should prove far more secure than the option above if/when done. I will probably do this when I have spare time.

For the clip that holds the lid down a sash window fastener looks like it can be coaxed into doing the job. I wonder where I put that pop riveter for this?

Sorry- no razor blades. I know whose fingers will get caught......

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
alsmith posted:
.... I know whose fingers will get caught ....

I know what you mean :eek:
Glad you found a work-around for your lock.

PS: Nice looking box by the way, I Yahoo'ed it (don't like commercial Google).

alsmith

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2008
Northumberland
alsmith posted:
.... I know whose fingers will get caught ....

I know what you mean :eek:
Glad you found a work-around for your lock.

PS: Nice looking box by the way, I Yahoo'ed it (don't like commercial Google).
It is a pretty nice box especially for £20 off eBay. The only downside is that it sits quite far back on the rear rack- I think balance would be better if it was over the rear wheel axle or slightly forward of it. I think this will be more noticeable with the heavier LiFePO4 battery. I saw a number of pics on an American site where people were using a toolbox as a topbox so will be looking a little more closely into this soon (moving house very soon because of serious problems where I am- break in to shed, half brick through window are a bit unsettling- battery change went on temporary hold).

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
It is a pretty nice box especially for £20 off eBay. The only downside is that it sits quite far back on the rear rack- I think balance would be better if it was over the rear wheel axle or slightly forward of it. I think this will be more noticeable with the heavier LiFePO4 battery. I saw a number of pics on an American site where people were using a toolbox as a topbox so will be looking a little more closely into this soon (moving house very soon because of serious problems where I am- break in to shed, half brick through window are a bit unsettling- battery change went on temporary hold).
Following a break in of our campervan (March 07) I refused to be terrorised by would be thieves. Unfortunately, he got away with it because there was no evidence of him smashing the window. I now have 24hrs recording CCTV, all products from Maplin.

(Maplin > CCTV Surveillance)

Regrettably, I found out too late that no one cares about an alarm sounding on a windy night at 2am. So I sought a solution. I now use PIR alarms in the Campervan and bike shed. I use rechargeable batteries and change them (without fail) every two weeks.

http://www.besafealarms.com/BSA8/Driveway-Monitor-Alert---NEW.htm

They are great and will wake you from the deepest sleep to alert you to someone in the protected area. You can then go speak to them personally and teach them the errors of their ways ;)

I got one for a friend who was having problems with youths trashing her secluded shed and garden. After catching the little baskets two times they opted to go somewhere else.

Last edited:

alsmith

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2008
Northumberland
Following a break in of our campervan (March 07) I refused to be terrorised by would be thieves. Unfortunately, he got away with it because there was no evidence of him smashing the window. I now have 24hrs recording CCTV, all products from Maplin.

(Maplin > CCTV Surveillance)

Regrettably, I found out too late that no one cares about an alarm sounding on a windy night at 2am. So I sought a solution. I now use PIR alarms in the Campervan and bike shed. I use rechargeable batteries and change them (without fail) every two weeks.

http://www.besafealarms.com/BSA8/Driveway-Monitor-Alert---NEW.htm

They are great and will wake you from the deepest sleep to alert you to someone in the protected area. You can then go speak to them personally and teach them the errors of their ways ;)

I got one for a friend who was having problems with youths trashing her secluded shed and garden. After catching the little baskets two times they opted to go somewhere else.
I have only been here for around 6 months so don't really know anyone, however some of the sheds did have drug taking parephenalia left in when I first moved in, and there was at least one person sleeping in one of them. I got the council to take the settee and chairs away, and notified the police. I think the problems have stemmed from there (break in, brick through window....)
Shouldn't be very much longer until I'm moved though ....