Torq II losing speed

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
Hi all, would welcome advice/opinions on this...

Yesterday was the first time I'd ridden my bike in a week. All was fine.

This morning I have a top speed of approximately 12mph. The bike pulls away fine but has no top-end speed. The only thing I can think that could possibly have affected the bike is riding through a couple of deep puddles last night. Normally I'd avoid them by riding over the crown of the road but that was covered in about 2 inches of ice necessitating the trip through the lakes.

Any ideas?

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
Well...

Thanks for your responses! :p

Looks like it was a water issue. Had the bike standing next to a massive storage heater at work today and performance was back to normal this evening.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Didn't see this earlier Rad. Some Torq 2 models had a restriction link that reduced the top assist speed to 12 mph, so it looks as though in this case that the damp set up a short on the restriction link connections in the controller or on the link on the outside.

Drying out usually sorts these eZee problems as you've found.

The photo below shows a typical restrictor link, connected reduces the speed and when disconnected and the link tucked in alongside under the insulation a short can occur:

dr3.jpg

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
Thanks Flecc, I'll try and get a look at the underside over the weekend. Might have to clean it first though :D

Have to say I do see it as a bit of a design flaw siting the control box so low and having the wiring running under the frame. I realise it makes for easy access to the wiring but it does appear to be a weak point.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It is a weakness but they have been improving the waterproofing so not so big a problem now. Bikes, electrics and water will never be a good mix though, no bodywork protection.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I remember when I got my Powertrek and noted that the controller was right in the path of front wheel spray so fitted some decent mudflaps front and rear to help throw the water away and with the use of my favourite compound( silicon) sealed around the cable entry and exit point and drilled a drain hole in case it were needed away from the spray area.
I must say that although I prefer a rear of seat tube drop in battery for decent balance at least on my Alien equipped bikes the controller is up and out of the way ( which does make for easier fitting of patch leads for after market batteries)

Flecc, How is the back now after your fall?

Dave

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc, How is the back now after your fall?

Dave
Back's fine now Dave, thanks for asking, but I'm feeling very much under attack since for Xmas I suffered an infected gum, two teeth extracted (23rd Dec), anti-biotic failed to reduce swelling for ages so soft and liquid food Xmas and now under the weather with a severe cold and persistent chesty cough.

Obviously now feeling as weak as a kitten and without the strength to punch anyone who dares wish me a Happy New Year!!!! :mad:

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
Sounds nasty Flecc. Came off my bike due to ice and hit my right side hard. That was around a month ago and I'm still not right :(