Torq Spokes

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
Paul,

I don't have a huge experience with broken spokes, but I have had some which has lead me to the following conclusions:

Good spokes are very strong and can take huge forces. Spokes break as a result of constant stress (flexing) rather than any instantaneous force. Therefore, broken spokes indicate a problem in the wheel construction.

I would suggest a wheel rebuild with new spokes is in order.

John

S

stokepa31

Spoke with Lloyd at 50 cycles and i'm taking the bike in on Friday for a repair. I was told that future warranty repairs would not be made by 50c as Ezee will not supply them with spares. Will be very interested to see where this new operation springs up as Loughborough is only 40 miles away from me. Rumours of Brighton do not bode well for me!!! Hopefully I might be able to sneak a ride on a Kalkoff why i'm there :D

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Spoke with Lloyd at 50 cycles and i'm taking the bike in on Friday for a repair. I was told that future warranty repairs would not be made by 50c as Ezee will not supply them with spares.
Now, as with the six to eight miles jibe, I wonder if 50cycles considered that to be subject to current legal wranglings before they commented.

Perhaps that deleted thread can be reinstated Russ. Here we have confirmation of the split from 50cycles own mouths to a forum member. I have had it confirmed personally by Mr Ching. If it is true, and it is, then you have a perfect right to allow it to be known on this forum. Whether 50cycles are happy with the position is entirely irrelevant.

Anyway, apologies but now with obvious pressure being applied to the forum owner to censor very senior members I am starting to get irritated.

Cheers,

Django

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
West Hampstead, NW London
Now, as with the six to eight miles jibe, I wonder if 50cycles considered that to be subject to current legal wranglings before they commented.

Perhaps that deleted thread can be reinstated Russ. Here we have confirmation of the split from 50cycles own mouths to a forum member. I have had it confirmed personally by Mr Ching. If it is true, and it is, then you have a perfect right to allow it to be known on this forum. Whether 50cycles are happy with the position is entirely irrelevant.

Anyway, apologies but now with obvious pressure being applied to the forum owner to censor very senior members I am starting to get irritated.

Cheers,

Django
I sympathise with Russ running the forum. However, there's no law to stop comment on such things if you're not personally bound by commercial confidentiality. So long as you stick to fair comment you're ok.

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
I think Russ is wisely erring on the side of caution as it would be he as the site owner whom any libel action would be taken against. It's sometimes difficult to differentiate between comments and accusations, and public accusations can lead to libel action. It is because of Russ that this forum exists and I feel we should respect his decisions as administrator/moderator.

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
I think Russ is wisely erring on the side of caution as it would be he as the site owner whom any libel action would be taken against. It's sometimes difficult to differentiate between comments and accusations, and public accusations can lead to libel action. It is because of Russ that this forum exists and I feel we should respect his decisions as administrator/moderator.
I completely agree with you Ian. My respect is complete. My advice remains as it is and I will continue to respect Russ if he rejects it. It is, however, a matter of simple fact that 50cycles do not have a leg to stand on (or even, some might say, a bicycle to sit on).

One only has to read the papers to see far more incisive comment than we have seen on this forum; Russ has nothing to fear.

Cheers,

Django

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
I completely agree with you Ian. My respect is complete. My advice remains as it is and I will continue to respect Russ if he rejects it. It is, however, a matter of simple fact that 50cycles do not have a leg to stand on (or even, some might say, a bicycle to sit on).

One only has to read the papers to see far more incisive comment than we have seen on this forum; Russ has nothing to fear.

Cheers,

Django
Too right Django. Can't blame him for being careful though.:)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm happy with the situation on the basis that members have the information as intended, and it stood long enough to be widely known.

Members decisions can now be informed ones, and that's what counts.

S

stokepa31

One thing that struck me was what will happen to people who have paid for a collect and return warranty!!! It would be interesting to get a legal view on your rights where warranty transfers are concerned i.e. can it be transfered to somewhere that is inconveinient for you to get to or more costly to get to?

P

S

stokepa31

just as a follow up. I have now collected my bike and it looks great. the spoke lacing looks far better than on the factory wheel and is nice and tight. I can see others having problems in the future with the factory wheel now I have something to compare it against so thanks to 50 cycles for a great job.

on another note when I collected my bike it was parked next to a pro connect. The Ezee looked really fat in comparison. I was mesmorised by the lines of the pro connect. Dont go getting all excited about the delivery dates as this bike was one of a kind and had been put on a serious diet with carbon components across the board and rear drailiure rather than hub. carbon road rims as well. it looked simply stunning. I was'nt offered a ride though:(

weight was down to 17 kg including battery and it felt the same ish as a normal bike to pick up. one thing that really struck me was how the pro connect seems to cross the divide between electric and conventional. I think we could se many versions of the kalkoffs spawning from the original range. I am now certain that as long as supply issues dont cause problems, this bike is going to do very very well. I am now desparate to get my bike.

Paul

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the information Paul, and I'm pleased to hear that you have your wheels back again.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Im glad things worked out Paul.
Were you at the old shop?
Tim at 50cycles told me the new shop would be in their hands from April Fools Day.
Were they in the process of moving?

S

stokepa31

Still at the old workshop as far as I could see. The unit looked just a full as usual. You would have loved the project bike :D

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
you didnt take a spy picture with your phone whilst no-one was looking then ?

Carnt understand why you didnt beg them to test ride it !

Last edited: