torque arm

dazzer10

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 18, 2020
Just want to make sure if this is ok and it is all safe , I have torque arms for both sides, the 3rd picture shows i can screw this to the frame i would need to drill a hole in the arm and bolt and screw, the last shows i could use both the screw and the metal tie , just wondering what other people would do and if its safe ?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I'd file the drop-outs deeper. The axle centre is now a lot lower, so your disc brake pads might be off the disc a bit now.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
1.5mm - 2mm. the QR is 9mm, the hub axle is 12mm so split the difference of 3mm for it to be centred in the D/O. Look at your second pic, clearly seen is daylight between axle and the D/O seat.
You will have to do both sides so the wheel sits down parallel both sides, carefully file/dremmel the radius of the D/O. Don't use a flat edge file it must be a round one otherwise failure can occur in the ali if the corners are squared off.

Once done then yes drill the T/A and use that unused tapped hole, it is probably M5 but check first. Then you can get rid of the silly Joob clip.

Last edited:

dazzer10

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 18, 2020
1.5mm - 2mm. the QR is 9mm, the hub axle is 12mm so split the difference of 3mm for it to be centred in the D/O. Look at your second pic, clearly seen is daylight between axle and the D/O seat.
You will have to do both sides so the wheel sits down parallel both sides, carefully file/dremmel the radius of the D/O. Don't use a flat edge file it must be a round one otherwise failure can occur in the ali if the corners are squared off.

Once done then yes drill the T/A and use that unused tapped hole, it is probably M5 but check first. Then you can get rid of the silly Joob clip.
think i took about 1mm off the D/O got them both level on both sides which was mostly my goal to do because i was a bit worried about not getting them both at the right level , so i am going to test the brakes to see if there good when i finished the build .

Kwozzymodo

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Lincolnshire
You should have a bit of wiggle room to adjust the disc caliper mounts.

I must confess to having ridden thousands of miles with motor axles in pretty much the same place in the drop outs as yours. I have fitted torque arms.