Torque Sensor Folding eBike?

BarleyRiser

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 16, 2021
Trowbridge
My wife and I are looking for a pair of folding Electric bikes that ride as a normal bike. I've read reviews saying people want to set the speed and sit back etc. We want something that gives her a little help uphill, a slightly longer range and a decent ride to our young grandchildren mainly along a towpath.
We're used to full sized bikes and folders and accept the limitations of the folding bike. I'm now thinking we should look for something with a torque sensor.
Would this be right? I've seen the specifications for the Wisper, but are there any others?
Due to lockdown we've been unable to try any bikes and there seem to be very few about at the moment. We need to get a shortlist as we'll probably need to travel a couple of hours to test them. Online is not really an option as I need to check they are big enough for me to ride.
Thanks for any thoughts.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
They all do more or less the same and work the same. Avoid 24v ones due to lack of power and range. Don't buy any that have bespoke electrical systems. Look for one with a standard battery because it will eventually need to be replaced. Some are locked to specific bikes by their communication system. If that battery isn't available when you need one in three years time, your bike becomes scrap. It's the same with any special shaped battery.

Sometimes things go wrong with the electrics, so you need someone that can fix it. If you can't handle this yourself, then you must buy from someone who can. Ebikes Direct and some others have a good returns service. if you buy by mail order, make sure you have that covered.

In summary, buy any established brand, ideally from a local dealer, so it's a case of whatever they have unless you're good at electrical DIY, in which case you can get any 36v Chinese bike with standard parts that takes your fancy.

Reactions: mike killay

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
I've had 4 bikes from Ebikes Direct and would highly recommend the company to deal with.

ATM I have the Basis Finch 20" folder with cadence sensor and a generic battery - the latter being one of the main reasons for choosing this bike because batteries can be easily sourced and switched between bikes. The other reason for choosing the Finch was because it was one of the few to accommodate a 34" inside leg. Darren at Ebikes kindly measured them all for me because, due to lockdown 1, it would have been impossible to travel to Bodiam to try them out, although I didn't try any of the previous 3 purchases either and relied on their advice and measurements which were spot on.

One bike developed an electric fault after 280km. Ebikes tried various remedies by phone but the problem couldn't be resolved. Their service then, when tested, was exemplary in sending a replacement bike and arranging for the faulty bike to be collected at the same time.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy from this company again and would recommend the Basis Finch. A neighbour bought the Osprey which she is delighted with although this doesn't have disc brakes which were my preference.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
My wife and I are looking for a pair of folding Electric bikes that ride as a normal bike. I've read reviews saying people want to set the speed and sit back etc. We want something that gives her a little help uphill, a slightly longer range and a decent ride to our young grandchildren mainly along a towpath.
We're used to full sized bikes and folders and accept the limitations of the folding bike. I'm now thinking we should look for something with a torque sensor.
Certainly agree with comments above about generic batteries etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about the torque sensor (different people different opinions on that). We've got a torque sensor Motus, and a cadence sensor tandem (Woosh kit with Lishui controller). The torque is maybe a little more natural. We are using the tandem mainly to give a little help uphill, just set to a 1/5 or 2/5 setting, and it doesn't feel significantly unnatural. I don't think we'd get a significantly better range if it were torque sensor (but ???).

The main benefit of torque sensor to me is immediate help on uphill start (especially at junction). That won't apply on a towpath.

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
I use the walk assist for a hill start - it gives just enough power for starting off so I don't roll backwards and actually move!

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Whilst noting others here sensed little difference in the drive command technologies, having tried both cadence and torque sensing bikes, the differences in cycling "feel" was very apparent to me, as it was also to my wife, both much preferring TS.

I don't doubt you can adapt to either or prefer the opposite to us, but I suggest if "feel" is important to you, that you contrive to try both.
That test might well be simply asking an acquaintance to be able to test ride theirs. Certainly try both pre buying as any can be seductive.

ps: we are life long cyclist, mainly recreational as opposed to competitive, now nearly through our seventies.

Last edited:
Reactions: sjpt

BarleyRiser

Jan 16, 2021
Trowbridge
Thanks kangaroo for the height information. My folder was recommended up to 6'4".
That was my thought, Ocsid, but great to have other people's opinions and I'm sure we'd adapt as shot says.

Nosweat

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2019
Gocycle use a torque sensor and front wheel drive, some of their bikes fold and are lovely to ride but are not cheap.

Maybe yoi could ask Woosh if they can swap a torque sensor into their folding bike? I have bought both a kit and a bike from them, each with torque sensor and am very happy with both. At my request for a modest fee they swapped their own bike model's cadence sensor for a torque sensor before I took delivery and it's lovely.

honda175

Nov 20, 2019
Gocycle use a torque sensor and front wheel drive, some of their bikes fold and are lovely to ride but are not cheap.

Maybe yoi could ask Woosh if they can swap a torque sensor into their folding bike? I have bought both a kit and a bike from them, each with torque sensor and am very happy with both. At my request for a modest fee they swapped their own bike model's cadence sensor for a torque sensor before I took delivery and it's lovely.
Hi, I bought 2 Oxygen go’s 13 months ago, 20in folding 36v 10ah 250w. They are very reliable.

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
Certainly more available common batteries are better to have and replace but with unusual shapes isn't there at least the potential option to get the battery re-celled depending on what is inside?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Certainly more available common batteries are better to have and replace but with unusual shapes isn't there at least the potential option to get the battery re-celled depending on what is inside?
Recelling is certainly often a good option for batteries that are difficult to replace, and sometime a good cheaper option even where replacements are easily available.

I understand there are batteries that can't be recelled however. For example older Bosch batteries can, as long as they have not totally died and rendered the BMS dead, and as long as the receller keeps the BMS powered during recell. However, from what I have read, some of the newer Bosch batteries can't be recelled at all, and I think it is the same with some other brands.