Torque Sensor or Rotation sensor - how to find out

Terry1100

Pedelecer
Dec 18, 2014
Hi All - another newbie question

Thanks to Cyclezee I have now ridden an electric bike - and I was impressed with the Ansmann FC5 - thanks

It has a rotation sensor on the pedals rather than a torque sensor and I definitely want to try a bike with a torque sensor for comparison - but I can't seem to easily confirm which ones are (unless I'm looking in the wrong place).

Does anyone if the other bikes on my (current) shortlist have torque sensors
  • Whoosh Zephyr B
  • Claud Butler UM30
  • Freego Folder
  • Kudos Secret
  • Or can anone confirm any other folder that has a torque sensor

TIA

Terry

stevew

Pedelecer
I think most of the bikes with a hub motor only use a rotation sensor.

Others will either confirm or otherwise ;)

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The BH emotion has torque sensors for the hub drive.
It gives a natural control of speed feeling just like a normal bike.
Others might recommend throttles and speed sensors.
If you want to feel like riding a normal bike with bionic legs then torque is the way to go.

D

Deleted member 4366

A torque sensor isn't necessarily a good thing. It's the control system in total that gives the relationship between pedalling and power. One thing to bear in mind. Many torque sensor systems give power that's in proportion to pedal effort, which is great if you're fairly fit, but at the end of a long journey when your legs are tired, you might not be able to press the pedal hard enough to get the power you need to get up that last hill. The power that you get from a rotation sensors is independent of pedal effort. You can adjust the power up and down to what you want through the control panel or throttle if you have one.

As a general guide, IMHO torque sensors systems are better if you have a reasonable level of fitness, otherwise a rotation sensor would be better.

Some older designs have a long response time to the pedal speed sensor, which means a delay of maybe 2 seconds before you get any power, and the motor runs on after you stop pedalling. Modern ones are better, but you should check this characteristic when testing a bike.

Some torque sensors are only used as a switch. They give power when you apply a minimum torque to the pedals like a speed sensor system.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I don't know of any small wheeled bike that has a torque sensor. The Kudos Arriba is available with either torque or speed sensor so it is possible to compare identical bikes with different sensor modes.
The torque sensor gives a very intuitive riding style,it builds upon the effort the rider inputs whereas the speed sensor is effectively a switch,turn pedals get power,but you can control the amount of the power using the PAS controller.
Kudos Dave

Terry1100

Pedelecer
Dec 18, 2014
Thanks all - suitalby informed.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

Terry1100

Pedelecer
Dec 18, 2014
Thanks Rob - top end of my price range but looks good. It does however show as discontinued/unavailable.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012