Tour de presteigne sunday

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
after an unexpected late departure i just made it, for the 2.30 start of the race around the streets,it was an enjoyable event to watch with some rather enthusiastic commentating,but with seemingly little idea of who was leading the race at times,i was suprised by the speed of the kalkhoffs around the circuit although they were mainly ridden by lycra clad people,these and the torqs seemed to be winning the event, although there was somebody that seemed to be flying around the coarse, on an unknown to me probably way over the allowed legal 250 watt motor powered bike,due to limited time i missed the race finish and went to try out a few bikes.i was a little dissapointed to find very little available on the trade stands,i managed to try a kalkhoff which seemed more powerfull than my panasonic powerd giant revive and much quieter,there were also some nice looking trek make bikes, with added nano motors and water bottle look alike nimh batteries from a new supplier for £950,but no wisper bikes to try also no powabyke and no urban mover or sun runner,i realise 3.30pm was a little late but i would have thought the end of the race would be prime time for sales, if your bikes had done well in the race.

Haku

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2007
Gloucestershire
Most of the test bikes brought along by the companies were in the race, I know the ending time of the event was 5pm but I get the impression a lot of people felt that the 2.30 - 3.30pm rally was basically the highlight & end of the event. I was with Urban Mover as he'd given me a lift with my UM36 and when we got back to 'camp' after the race ended we went home, I noticed that when we left there weren't many people or bikes there compared to before the race.

Maybe if next time the rally was in the first day then more people would be hanging around afterwards - especially if they were staying the night they wouldn't be in any hurry to get home.

I did think the waterbottle battery idea was pretty good, an idea first adopted by the nighttime riders who want serious longevity and/or brightness from their lighting setup.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Although a bit bashed up and still bleeding after coming off his bike in the race,scott from 50 cycles was more interested in letting people try out the bikes and answering questions, than getting his cuts seen to this impressed me,i was hoping to try out the ezee torq,but i only passed by a couple of bikes with race numbers on and no stall,which i later realised were cyclepoint packing up to go home,i also hoped to try the new wisper 905se but none were around,there were two i think in the race but they did not seem to be going very fast though ridden by more every day cyclists ,maybe some of the lycra clad riders could have made any bike look good,one stallholder complained that somebody had got a team together to ride there bikes,when electric bikes are being ridden above their maximum power assist by super fit people, it rather spoils what us in need of assistance can expect to achieve,for example the kalkhoff i tested had only used one led for the entire race,it had been ridden by a rather fit young lady who finished first of the female riders it was probably spending much of its time above the assistance level,another female rider was riding a quando and was being passed by many riders,just goes to show how many bikes were travelling over 15 mph.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Although a bit bashed up and still bleeding after coming off his bike in the race,scott from 50 cycles was more interested in letting people try out the bikes and answering questions, than getting his cuts seen to this impressed me
That was poor Lloyd who was bleeding! Scott and I sat the race out again, watching it safely from the sidelines. It looks best through the bottom of a pint glass, we find ;)

We didn't get a team together for the race, Lloyd and Tom are full time employees in our workshop and many of you will have spoken to them.

I've posted on our blog here

Last edited:

Gazelle Cycle Imports

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 22, 2008
Had a great weekend at Presteigne and would like to express thanks to the Organisers of the Event, both Pete & Andy were most helpful and made us welcome.
A lot of work must have gone into putting the Event together and it gave people a chance to try out and compare the various bikes from the different manufacturers. This is a unique opportunity and I would hope it will be repeated next year.
We had the Gazelle Easy Glider on display and although not liked by all who tried them the response was positive and am glad we made the 700 mile round trip.
We will be back next year if it is on and I hope others will give the Organisers their support.
We had hoped to have the first of the new Gazelle Orange Innergy's at the Show but delivery was delayed and they arrived this morning.
We are going to the Get Cycling Show at Nottingham Racecourse this coming Bank Holiday weekend (Sun & Mon) and would be pleased to see any one who wishes to come along and compare the Innergy with the Easy Glider.

MaryinScotland

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
Dumfries, SW Scotland
We are going to the Get Cycling Show at Nottingham Racecourse this coming Bank Holiday weekend (Sun & Mon) and would be pleased to see any one who wishes to come along and compare the Innergy with the Easy Glider.
Do you have a website detailing your bikes? I could only find a dealers list when I searched. I hope to be at Nottingham, but I'd like to do some reading-up beforehand.
Mary

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Sorry Paul

Although a bit bashed up and still bleeding after coming off his bike in the race,scott from 50 cycles was more interested in letting people try out the bikes and answering questions, than getting his cuts seen to this impressed me,i was hoping to try out the ezee torq,but i only passed by a couple of bikes with race numbers on and no stall,which i later realised were cyclepoint packing up to go home,i also hoped to try the new wisper 905se but none were around,there were two i think in the race but they did not seem to be going very fast though ridden by more every day cyclists ,maybe some of the lycra clad riders could have made any bike look good,one stallholder complained that somebody had got a team together to ride there bikes,when electric bikes are being ridden above their maximum power assist by super fit people, it rather spoils what us in need of assistance can expect to achieve,for example the kalkhoff i tested had only used one led for the entire race,it had been ridden by a rather fit young lady who finished first of the female riders it was probably spending much of its time above the assistance level,another female rider was riding a quando and was being passed by many riders,just goes to show how many bikes were travelling over 15 mph.

Hi Paul sorry I was not able to let you have a ride on a Wisper but they were nearly all taken home immediate after the race had started by their new owners as we had to get off to Kent and Hampshire.

We didn't get involved in the race for the reasons explained in the other Presteigne thread. No point really!

Presteigne

It was nice to meet you anyway.

All the best David

Last edited:

MaryinScotland

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
Dumfries, SW Scotland
Thanks for the link, Steve. The product info has reminded me why I hadn't previously short-listed the Gazelle bikes; they weigh around 27kg, and I really need something that comes in under 25, as I have to be able to carry it upstairs. I'm mainly going to Nottingham to look at Heinzmann. However, it makes sense to check out any other electric bikes while I'm there.

Mary

Gazelle Cycle Imports

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 22, 2008
Do you have a website detailing your bikes? I could only find a dealers list when I searched. I hope to be at Nottingham, but I'd like to do some reading-up beforehand.
Mary
Hi maryinoxford,

If you go to on to our website Gazelle Cycles and at the end of our current Dealer List click on the link which will take you into the Dutch website. You can then download the English version of the full Gazelle Brochure.
If you need further information you can email us on sales@gazellecycles.co.uk

Regards
Gazelle Cycle Imports