Tow bar bike carriers

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Hello fellow pedalars and throttlers ;)

Anyone here used a car tow bar bike carrier with their ebikes? Especially the Thule type.

D

Deleted member 4366

I have the Cykell one, which Battribike distribute. It costs about £500, which is probably more than most of my bikes, but it's so good and easy to use. You can get them from South Yorkshire Electric Bike Centre. The owner, John, has a very soft heart. If you give him a sob story about why you're so poor, you might get a good deal out of him.

I had the Wilko one before that was about 1/4 of the price. It worked, but it was a lot of messing about to fit, and also a lot more messing about to get the bike/s on it.

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Thanks for your prompt reply d8veh. I'm at the opposite end of the country to you though. A Wilko one?! :eek: I will look into it but agree with you, it is expensive. Thanks again.

Anyone used a Thule one or another type?

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Thanks for your prompt reply d8veh. I'm at the opposite end of the country to you though. A Wilko one?! :eek: I will look into it but agree with you, it is expensive. Thanks again.

Anyone used a Thule one or another type?
i use a thule easybase - it doesnt have an easytilt function (you know step on a lever and tilt it forward to open the hatch of the car) and most definitely isnt as simple to load as d8veh's, but it's very rugged and has survived numerous (very severe) overloadings and (violent) dings and scrapes. it can carry many other thinsg than bikes. the only criticism i could level is that on a very small car(fiat panda) on an autobahn above 85 mph or so with two large bikes and a recumbent it can induce sway, believe it or not.

Reactions: anotherkiwi
C

Cyclezee

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I've got a Thule tow bar carrier it's a Thule 929 EuroClassic G6 3-bike towball carrier

http://www.freeborn.co.uk/thule-929-euroclassic-g6-3-bike-towball-carrier?gclid=CMmPg6eflLsCFUzHtAodzBcA-A

I've carried my Kudos and my wife's Woosh with no problems. It can carry 3 bikes up to 60K @ 20KG per bike.

It fits on the towbar in seconds and can be locked on. The bikes fit on quickly and can also be locked to the carrier.

The carrier tilts to allow access to the tailgate of the car.
It comes with a 13 pin plug and I had to but a 13 to 7 pin adapter.

I believe the newer model now comes with better clamps for the bike which click when the optimum grip is reached on your bike.

It's not cheap but it's good.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Tow ball carriers are reckoned to be the best solution.

No doubt Thule will be as good as any.

I know two people who use them regularly - not sure which brand.

Both told me it's a faff to secure the bikes, particularly if you follow the instructions and deploy all the various straps and fixings.

Which, of course, you should do.

Another mate, who probably worries too much, adds a few thick cable ties for long journeys.

C

Cyclezee

Tow ball carriers are reckoned to be the best solution.

No doubt Thule will be as good as any.

I know two people who use them regularly - not sure which brand.

Both told me it's a faff to secure the bikes, particularly if you follow the instructions and deploy all the various straps and fixings.

Which, of course, you should do.

Another mate, who probably worries too much, adds a few thick cable ties for long journeys.
Cable ties are a good secondary method for securing, as for being a faff, my one is easy peasy.

You can lock the clamps, but if I leave a bike unattended on a carrier I use a heavy duty lock too.

More often than not these days I transport bikes inside a vehicle.

Andrew K

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 12, 2014
Edinburgh
I use a Thule euroclassic G6 2 bike version rated for 25Kg per bike. It works well. It's easy to put on the car and take off and it's fairly easy and quick getting the bikes on and off.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
, as for being a faff, my one is easy peasy.
I agree, the Thule is so easy to load a bike on.once the rack is on the car it wont take more than a minute to load a bike on an lock it to the carrier.

For those who are unable to lift an ebike up the few inches to the carrier, you can even buy a small ramp to wheel the bike up.

C

Cyclezee

The Thule 916 will accomodate 2 bikes and has a load limit of 60Kg. or 30 Kg. per bike.

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Hello fellow pedalars and throttlers ;)

Anyone here used a car tow bar bike carrier with their ebikes? Especially the Thule type.
We used a Thule 916 with two ebikes - it was a dream to fit and we used a simple ramp to load the bikes. Then J needed a trike and we swopped for a Thule Easybase - bit of a faff to fit but very easy to load. We bought 3 sets of wheels channels to guide/secure the wheels.
The 916 sold easily and for a good price on Ebay.
Both carriers rock solid up to 70mph (of course we don't ever go faster!)

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I'm another who has a Thule 928 Euro Classic G6 LED.

I have only just recently bought it from a company that was selling them on Ebay for £220.00 delivered. I haven't used it yet, as we don't even have a tow bar fitted, but figured that at that price it was worth buying.

If it helps, this was the seller . http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/autowarehouse/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

As an aside, I also bought four of these to slap around the tyres/wheels. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201075388043?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&var=500256118131&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited:

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
We use the Thule Europower 916 for carrying two ebikes and can definitely recommend it.

Jim

rsyme

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2013
Co.Wexford, Ireland
I have a westfalia carrier which is really good. It's a ball hitch one which can tilt if you need to open a hatchback. Has attachments which lock so handles just turn freely and will not release the bike. Carries my Haibike and wife's Kalkhoff with ease.
Cheers!
Robbie

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sure all the previously mentioned racks are great if you can afford them, and no doubt necessary if you need to carry two or three heavy bikes.
I only need to carry one so I use the Thule 2 bike hang on tow hitch carrier using just one position.
Carries up to 30kgs, you can lock the rack with a padlock so it can't be taken off, and you can lock your bike to the rack
Takes me around 3 or 4 mins to load bike, secure straps and secure a lighting board.
Best of all ................ just over £50!!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001N3L4D0/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002SATTYS&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0KEF91RW8TMW88GZJ3AE

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
the only criticism i could level is that on a very small car(fiat panda) on an autobahn above 85 mph or so with two large bikes and a recumbent it can induce sway, believe it or not.
:) Much like towing a catamaran (behind the same car) at 110 kph! Mine was the first generation Panda, 700 kg soaking wet...

Tony

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Cable ties are a good secondary method for securing, as for being a faff, my one is easy peasy.
I work with cable ties a lot and although I see their value, you can snap them with a short sharp shock. I prefer ratchet straps despite cable ties providing some peace of mind

C

Cyclezee

I work with cable ties a lot and although I see their value, you can snap them with a short sharp shock. I prefer ratchet straps despite cable ties providing some peace of mind
Hi Steve,

I also work a lot with cable ties and am quite familiar with their properties.

I was only suggesting their use in addition to clamps and ratchet straps and not as a primary method of securing a bike.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
:) Much like towing a catamaran (behind the same car) at 110 kph! Mine was the first generation Panda, 700 kg soaking wet...

Tony
yes, i was soaking wet too once i managed to slow the panda down without getting squashed by a 30 ton truck...