Trailer connection

CRAZYNIGHT

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2011
I have had the offer of this trailer(£15)
trailer.jpg
sadly the owner has lost the bar which connect the tailer to the bike, do you guys think it will be easy enough to rig something up from a caster and metal bar?

Oh its not for carrying kids, possibly for the dog but mainly to carry tools and stuff back and forth to the allotment rather than taking the car.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited:

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
It depends on how practical you are, I would buy it and sort out an attachment later plus a bit of haggling over the price just for the hell of it, but that's me.

D

Deleted member 4366

Is the connecting arm not folded underneath -the normal position for storage - or has it been completely removed (unbolted), which wouldn't be logical unless the previous owner nicked it for another project.?

If you can't get the arm, it's not worth the hassle. Used trailers go for about £40 in good condition. You have to ask yourself whether it's worth all the hassle of getting materials and making the bar and a hitch for the sake of £25.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 4366

I've just had a look on eBay and there are several towbars for sale - one due to end in 4 days at a very low bid at the moment.
Good luck,
Tom.
Could you paste some links. I looked, but couldn't find any.

D

Deleted member 4366

I guess that means you couldn't find one either then.

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
An engineer is a person that can do for a penny what any fool can do for a pound.

Well I am a retired engineer and this can be sorted for little money.

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
Find out the make of the trailer.
Find the homepage.
Contact them and order the bits you need
Attach them to the trailer
Job done as good as new, no welding, messing or breaking.

Steve

D

Deleted member 4366

An engineer is a person that can do for a penny what any fool can do for a pound.

Well I am a retired engineer and this can be sorted for little money.
I guess if the OP was an engineer, he wouldn't be asking the question. He'd have found his own solution.
For those that keep mentioning Ebay, the OP needs the bar that runs from the trailer to the hitch plus the hitch. There's no bars and the only suitable hitch that I can see, which would require a custom made bar arrangement, is more than £20. Therefore, unless OP has fabrication skills and a lot of stuff lying around waiting to be adapted, it's just not worth it - unfortunately.
Having said all that, for those that like making stuff, there's loads of Youtube videos that show self-made trailers and hitches - some of them really clever.