Train E-bike ban

Apollo3000

Just Joined
Apr 21, 2023
Can anyone shed any light on this? I was leaving London Victoria train station this morning and was told by one of the station staff told me that from 3rd June, E-bikes wont be allowed on trains anymore..........TIA

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I can't find any information about ebikes being banned on UK trains beginning in June.

"Electric bikes will be allowed on our trains, however they must not be charged onboard our trains or in our stations. The ban from 01 June applies to e-scooters, e-unicycles, e-skateboards and hoverboards only. "

January 31 2022, 6.00am:

Why are e-bikes banned from Caledonian Sleeper trains?

Rescinded:

Last edited:

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Some of the reasons given, for the potential ban, appear to be based on accidents that have happened whilst chargeing batteries, so you might think banning charging of eBikes batteries on trains would be enough.

Interesting that they also appear to want to ban eScooters as well, which are mostly used illegaly anyway, so thats a bit like banning crime on trains.

Does an eBrompton look like an eBike though ............

Apollo3000

Just Joined
Apr 21, 2023
Can anyone shed any light on this? I was leaving London Victoria train station this morning and was told by one of the station staff told me that from 3rd June, E-bikes wont be allowed on trains anymore..........TIA
I asked South Eastern Rail, online, if this was true, and the person replied that they werent aware of any policy change. Then asked the conductor on the train on the way home, he said it was true but the full details weren't clear yet........

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I asked South Eastern Rail, online, if this was true, and the person replied that they werent aware of any policy change. Then asked the conductor on the train on the way home, he said it was true but the full details weren't clear yet........
There's no mention about a ebike ban on their website:

"Electric bikes, tandems, tricycles

You can take an electrically-assisted pedal cycle as long as it’s similar in size to a normal cycle. Power-assisted cycles without traditional cycle-style pedals aren’t allowed. We don’t allow tandems, tricycles, handbikes, motorcycles or cycles with trailers on our trains."

Apollo3000

Just Joined
Apr 21, 2023
There's no mention about a ebike ban on their website:

"Electric bikes, tandems, tricycles

You can take an electrically-assisted pedal cycle as long as it’s similar in size to a normal cycle. Power-assisted cycles without traditional cycle-style pedals aren’t allowed. We don’t allow tandems, tricycles, handbikes, motorcycles or cycles with trailers on our trains."

I realise this but the conductor said they'd received various emails about it.....

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Ebikes widely banned on trains would be a major pain. :mad:

Nothing on their Facebook account...

...or Instagram:

Last edited:

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
An ebike without a battery is just a bike? A battery in a rucksack is just luggage?
Well for other reasons too, I would rather not have eBrompton readilty identifiable as an eBike.

For instance a black wheel rim and motor might look better, but does look eBikeish, but a silver\aluminium one less so. Stealth LCD4 on the handle bars.

And a real small battery\controller bag that you disguise by stuffing a sandwhich in the top.

Reactions: Bikes4two

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Well for other reasons too, I would rather not have eBrompton readilty identifiable as an eBike.

For instance a black wheel rim and motor might look better, but does look eBikeish, but a silver\aluminium one less so. Stealth LCD4 on the handle bars.
The AKM rear motors look tiny... but you have a 2 speed hub gear - less ebikey than motor up front? Make the display easily detachable?

And a real small battery\controller bag that you disguise by stuffing a sandwhich in the top.
...or a small battery hidden inside a very realistic looking fake 12 inch Subway? Varnishing bread really works.

Last edited:

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
The AKM rear motors look tiny... but you have a 2 speed hub gear.
The motor wheel is the front. Rear wheel looks normal.

...or a small battery hidden inside a very realistic looking fake 12 inch Subway?
Now there is a thought, the Brompton has some big frame tubes, wonder if you could hide the electronics in them and use an external bagette battery ?

• :D
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
hide the electronics in them and use an external bagette battery ?
I expect The Resistance did the same in WWII. Varnished bread looks great for years, we used to have loaves on the walls of a shop I worked in many many years ago, and they're still there, looking exactly the same as they did then over 40 years ago. I forget how many layers my friend varnished those loaves with, but if I see him I'll ask.

Reactions: Bikes4two

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Fair play to Scotrail...

E-Bikes
Electric cycles (e-bikes) can be carried on all ScotRail services. Where cycle storage is provided that involves hanging the bike up by the wheel on our hooked cycle storage, we recommend where possible that customers remove their e-bike battery. This will reduce the bike's weight and make it easier for you when lifting your bike onto the hook.
Please note, to avoid damaging the on-train electrical circuits, ScotRail cannot allow e-bikes to be charged via the plug sockets on our trains. There is however a dedicated e-bike charging socket onboard the ScotRail Highland Explorer.

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/plan-your-journey/cycling/bikes-trains

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
Fair play to Scotrail...

E-Bikes
Electric cycles (e-bikes) can be carried on all ScotRail services. Where cycle storage is provided that involves hanging the bike up by the wheel on our hooked cycle storage, we recommend where possible that customers remove their e-bike battery. This will reduce the bike's weight and make it easier for you when lifting your bike onto the hook.
Please note, to avoid damaging the on-train electrical circuits, ScotRail cannot allow e-bikes to be charged via the plug sockets on our trains. There is however a dedicated e-bike charging socket onboard the ScotRail Highland Explorer.

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/plan-your-journey/cycling/bikes-trains
Although they do quote a maximum weight of 25kg and "Fatbikes" are not allowed due to their 2.5" tyre width restriction which is a shame as I was planning a few days cycling out and back from Corrour Station House and have a "Fatbike" specifically due to the terrain I hoped to ride across.

I had hoped for a car free trip by train but now I'm currently looking for car parking within a a full battery charge from the destination.

TTFN
John.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
I've only taken my ebike once on train with my son and his MTB from Glasgow to Edinburgh route getting off at Falkirk to see parents, bike carriage was just a space with some straps, no hooks, I cannot see your average Scotrail train guard noticing or caring about fat bike tires?

We got spaces both ways and you can book on some routes.

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
Imo this would be a massively backwards idea. I don't get trains, can't afford them and I'm a long way from any stations. However, we have to solve the public transport disaster we have in this country.

I can understand no charging. I can understand no scooters ( until scooters are potentially made legal on roads ). Maybe the crackdown needs to be on dodgy suppliers, remove the firebombs at source and stop them entering the public domain. Sure, there will be some dangerous bikes / scooters that get through but it's a numbers game.

I don't know what the solution is but reducing low carbon transport options isn't it.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Often it's not the fact the battery is or could be a fire bomb, it is simply the fact that people don't know the do's and dont's when it comes to charging. There needs to be a public campaign to stop ejits who think it's just like charging a phone or laptop.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Imo this would be a massively backwards idea. I don't get trains, can't afford them and I'm a long way from any stations. However, we have to solve the public transport disaster we have in this country.

I can understand no charging. I can understand no scooters ( until scooters are potentially made legal on roads ). Maybe the crackdown needs to be on dodgy suppliers, remove the firebombs at source and stop them entering the public domain. Sure, there will be some dangerous bikes / scooters that get through but it's a numbers game.

I don't know what the solution is but reducing low carbon transport options isn't it.

Agree 100%, Gov encourage with left hand then steal it back with the right...