Trans-Canada ebike ride

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
Some of you may know, or know of, Justin Lemire-Elmore, the young chap that runs Renaissance Cycles in Vancouver (perhaps better known as www.ebikes.ca Homepage of the revolution.

A week or so ago he set off to ride right across Canada to Halifax, Nova Scotia, on a home-made ebike. His goal is to cross Canada on less than $10 worth of energy.

He's getting lots of support on the ES forum, see this thread: Endless-sphere.com • View topic - Cross-Canada by Ebike]Endless-sphere.com • View topic - Cross-Canada by Ebike

He's currently near Calgary, about to ride across the vast expanse of the Canadian prairie.

Jeremy

Last edited:

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
Jeremy,

A trailing bracket in your link to www.ebikes.ca Homepage of the revolution took me to tiscali.

In a pervious post you had bought a Tongxin motor from there, I followed that link and found this young man's adventure.
His fun photo of himself on his conversion of an Xtracycle conversion into a crank forward shows lateral thinking at its best.

The advantages of recumbents and crank forward bikes are so many that I am constantly surprised that there is so little interest in them on this forum with its numerous commuters.
Granted the initial cost is high but people tend to look after their recumbents and second hand bargains can be found.
For a first buy a the compact long wheelbase recumbent is often recommended as being easiest to transfer normal riding skills and stopping and waiting is merely a matter of putting one foot down. Seat height can be very close to that of a normal bike, they are more upright than most others and provide a degree of relaxed arm and seating comfort not available on a normal bike.

Dave

andyh2

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2008
Great way to get some coverage for ebikes.

Probably still a bit niche, but I'd really like a Rans Crankforward with Panasonic system.

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
An update. Justin has just passed pretty much the mid-point of his ride, the longitudinal centre of Canada. So far he's covered 2700km on just $3.13 worth of electricity. He's averaging 13Wh/km and doing around 110 to 120km between charges, at an average speed of around 30 to 35km/h.

Jeremy