Trek Bruiser Conversion

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Last year I picked up an old Bafang (i think) SWX01, cheap on eBay. I tested it, repaired a few spokes and it has sat around in my workshop waiting for the right bike to come along.

I've been working away the odd night lately, so I thought it would be nice to have a bike I could take with me to prevent me sitting around in the hotel abusing my expense account (I wish!).

The I spotted a Trek Bruiser on eBay, and won it for £58. It had a bent chainring, so the chain would fall off occasionally. It took me nearly a whole minute to fix with my trusty adjustable.

Anyway, here's what I've ended up with:

I'm running it with a 20ah BMS shrink wrap battery, a KU65 (slightly shunt nodded), and throttle only.

The controller is in the bottle (actually an empty tub of E45 moisturizing cream, covered in black insulating tape).

The battery is in a backpack, and I'm really pleased with it there. Makes the bike feel very nimble.
Backpack is from go outdoors, cost about £10. It fits the battery perfectly.

There are 6 gears, on a twist grip mounted on the left. I prefer to have a right hand throttle.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
What happens when you fall off the bike with the battery in the back pack?

Have you stress relieved the connectors and made sure they can disconnect easily in the event of a spill?

Liking the controller in the bottle cage :)

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
The battery is pretty well protected, with layers of foam & bubble wrap etc, so I'm pretty sure it wont catch fire in the event of a spill. I guess you can never be 100% sure.

The connectors are all Anderson Power poles, so no problem with emergency disconnection. The cables all hang pretty slack when I'm on board, so that's all good.

As long as no one tells my wife, I'm sure it'll be fine!